ADVERTISEMENT

Me hopes that Oregon and Washington join the BIG

I would place Stanford ahead of both of those schools and I my wager is that nearly every Big Ten university president would also - they vote on membership applications, not the ADs.
Both UW and OR are fine universitys. But Stanford has far more academic prestige and university presidents are academics first. Its sometimes easy to forget that application for Big Ten membership includes consideration of value added to the Big Ten Academic Alliance in addition to the Big Ten Athletic Converence.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
What dollars? Academic research dollars contribute far more revenue to the conference than revenue generated by sports. Research money flowing to the Big Ten Academic Alliance exceed $10B last year..
USC and UCLA generated 45% of the Pac 12 TV revenue. Those are the dollars that matter in conference expansion. Academics had little to do with conference expansion.

Academics had little to do with conference expansion.
Clueless.

UCLA, for instance, received 1.4B in academic research grants in 2020.

Adding more than $1B to the BTAA on an annual basis absolutely dwarfs any sports revenue UCLA is going to contribute to the conference.

Research grants fund important medical and scientific research conducted by the respective universities and their partners (Univ of Iowa Hospitals, e,g,), attract elite talent, and have a very positive economic impact on the communities where it is conducted.

I know this is a Hawkeye sports message board but believe it or not, approxiamtely 30,000 students attend the University of Iowa and do not participate in sports.

Clueless.

UCLA, for instance, received 1.4B in academic research grants in 2020.

Adding more than $1B to the BTAA on an annual basis absolutely dwarfs any sports revenue UCLA is going to contribute to the conference.

Research grants fund important medical and scientific research conducted by the respective universities and their partners (Univ of Iowa Hospitals, e,g,), attract elite talent, and have a very positive economic impact on the communities where it is conducted.

I know this is a Hawkeye sports message board but believe it or not, approxiamtely 30,000 students attend the University of Iowa and do not participate in sports.
When Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland were added was it because of football or academics? When the B12 added BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston was it football or academics? When Oklahoma and Texas left the for the SEC was it football or academics? These moves have always been about football.

It will go to 20 teams before this is over. I like Washington, Oregon, Clemson and Stanford. Big ten needs to step it up. Or SEC will crush everyone else

Location, location, location

Seattle and Bay Area > Oregon TVs
If location mattered why did Houston and TCU remain a mid major as long as they did? Oregon has larger fan base than Cal, Stanford, and Washington. Oregon will bring in more TV $ because of there national fan base and they get ratings. Getting people to stream your game matters more now than what market you are in.

When Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland were added was it because of football or academics?
If its all about money, all those schools individually added at least 10X more dollars to the academic side than their football revenue provided, including football media revenie. Its not remotely close.

I'm not saying that football revenue is not a factor in evaluating an expansion candidate. It clearly is a factor.

But you confidently proclaimed that "academics had little to do with conference expansion". If money -and money alone - is the bottom line, your statement is laughable.

When Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland were added was it because of football or academics? When the B12 added BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston was it football or academics? When Oklahoma and Texas left the for the SEC was it football or academics? These moves have always been about football.
Why do you think the 2 are mutually exclusive? To act like academics (i.e. research donations) arent a factor is being intentionally obtuse.

For the Big Ten, it needs to be both. Nebraska was a head scratcher. Rutgers is a fine University as is Maryland. Don't compare the B12 to the Big Ten. They have completely different standards.

Oregon and Washington don’t have a large enough TV footprint. Stanford is the better choice.
You have not followed the research put into public domain about Oregon and Washington versus Stanford when it comes to athletics, particularly FB.

People who thinks Stanford athletics brings a lot of viewers because they’re located in the Bay Area understand neither the Stanford fanbase nor the Bay Area.

Having lived in the Bay Area for a total of 17 years, I can guarantee you there are relatively very few people here who actually give a damn about Stanford athletics.

If Stanford is added to the B1G, it will be because of academic prestige and research dollars, not fans.

Utah shoulda been top priority

There is already a Utah in the B1G, it's called Iowa.

Don't worry... Oregon, Washington, Stanford (especially if ND joins) will all be members in the future.

Cal and Col could also get invites should the move to 24 schools becomes reality, which I think it will.

Utah has one of the best research and academic hospitals in the nation. They sellout their football stadium have a large fanbase and play a B1G style of football. Plus an away game at Salt Lake City 20 mins away from Park City would be a great destination for Iowa fans.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
Utah has one of the best research and academic hospitals in the nation. They sellout their football stadium have a large fanbase and play a B1G style of football. Plus an away game at Salt Lake City 20 mins away from Park City would be a great destination for Iowa fans.
Not about physical attendance. It’s tv.

If its all about money, all those schools individually added at least 10X more dollars to the academic side than their football revenue provided, including football media revenie. Its not remotely close.

I'm not saying that football revenue is not a factor in evaluating an expansion candidate. It clearly is a factor.

But you confidently proclaimed that "academics had little to do with conference expansion". If money -and money alone - is the bottom line, your statement is laughable.
Yeah ... you're not wrong.

The addition of Nebraska was a little bit of an enigma ... but I imagine that, in part, what drove that addition was the fact that the university is dedicated to improving its research impact ... that it's a land-grant school ... in reasonably recent history it was a football power (under Devaney and Osborn) and built up to be perceived as a storied program [not unlike PSU] ... and it has great support and coverage across MANY sports.

However, apart from the enigma of Nebraska ... the rest of the additions were DEFINITELY academic fits ... and they also opened the B1G to more markets.

You look at USC and UCLA ... they are academic fits ... they have some storied programs (in various sports) ... and they the continue to open up more markets.

Who's next?

Folks who look at Stanford ... they're much more of a fit than most on this board are acknowledging. They check all the boxes ... tons of research money (i.e. academics) ... strong athletics ... and they don't hurt with the Norcal market.

Washington would check the boxes pretty well to. Oregon is a little more enigmatic ... however, where it might lack in geographically adding markets ... its Nike connection has almost established a market following based on "branding" as much as geography.

While I'm no fan of Notre Dame (not for any discriminatory reasons ... I have direct Irish Catholic ancestry) ... they would definitely bring money to the B1G table. While they're not really a huge player in terms of research - they do have an excellent academic reputation. They otherwise have the rest of the boxes checked.

Were the B1G to lure Stanford ... then the B1G would have USC, Stanford, and Michigan (among others) ... each being some historic rivals to Notre Dame. The sports angle would add more pressure to the Notre Dame administrators. I already know that on the research end of things ... the faculty are already strong proponents for addition to the B1G. The only remaining hang-up (and it's a big one) ... is the Notre Dame's administration still pretty rigidly adheres to the universities conservative, religious identity. The B1G isn't just some loose agreement among universities that relates to sports - there are LOTS of "strings attached" - relating to resource sharing and expectations relating to policies.

Anyhow, as it relates to sports ... Notre Dame really is a little weird. As it relates to basketball ... they really might be more of a fit with the ACC. As it relates to football ... historically they may have been more of a fit with the B1G.

How things will shake out in this new "super-conference" era could be interesting.

If location mattered why did Houston and TCU remain a mid major as long as they did? Oregon has larger fan base than Cal, Stanford, and Washington. Oregon will bring in more TV $ because of there national fan base and they get ratings. Getting people to stream your game matters more now than what market you are in.
Ok commish

People who thinks Stanford athletics brings a lot of viewers because they’re located in the Bay Area understand neither the Stanford fanbase nor the Bay Area.

Having lived in the Bay Area for a total of 17 years, I can guarantee you there are relatively very few people here who actually give a damn about Stanford athletics.

If Stanford is added to the B1G, it will be because of academic prestige and research dollars, not fans.
Agree. Lived out there for 20 years. Lots of transplants who follow their alma mater/ regional teams. The locals are primarily into pro sports.

Reactions: HawkOn15
This.

Adding 4 more teams seems likely at this point. Stanford, ND, Oregon, Washington.

While I loathe ND, this would be about as good a group to add as it gets if the B1G were to become the Big Twenty.
Oregon, Washington, Stanford all AAU members. All of the schools at least competitive in the top 20 in football, not just historically, but relatively recently.

ADVERTISEMENT