ADVERTISEMENT

Me hopes that Oregon and Washington join the BIG

Both UW and OR are fine universitys. But Stanford has far more academic prestige and university presidents are academics first. Its sometimes easy to forget that application for Big Ten membership includes consideration of value added to the Big Ten Academic Alliance in addition to the Big Ten Athletic Converence.
Its hard to believe thats the case considering they approved Braska joining the BIG..... :rolleyes:

Academics had little to do with conference expansion.

JFC! Just stop!

When Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland were added was it because of football or academics? When the B12 added BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston was it football or academics? When Oklahoma and Texas left the for the SEC was it football or academics? These moves have always been about football.
Are you seriously comparing the SEC and Big 12 to the B1G when it comes to expansion motivations and academic standards of its member institutions?

Again, just stop.

“It’s about football” is such a dumb take by a simple man. It’s about multiple things, and football is important. Academic dollars, cable subscriptions from big new markets, cuts from TV ratings, etc. The common thing is money, and any aspect a school brings that is worth a lot of money - and more importantly COULD produce a ton of money if they were good - is relevant.

Unless the B1G has told Oregon and Washington "thanks, but no thanks," I don't know why they would make the move to the Big 12.0 now. They can sit back and wait to see how the ND situation plays out. If the B1G doesn't accept them, they can always go back to the Big 12.0. They will gladly take those two programs in a month from now, a year from now, whenever.

There is already a Utah in the B1G, it's called Iowa.

Don't worry... Oregon, Washington, Stanford (especially if ND joins) will all be members in the future.

Cal and Col could also get invites should the move to 24 schools becomes reality, which I think it will.
Me thinks you’re right -Utah is very comparable to Iowa but I give Iowa > over Utah for past performances and future 😉

If its all about money, all those schools individually added at least 10X more dollars to the academic side than their football revenue provided, including football media revenie. Its not remotely close.

I'm not saying that football revenue is not a factor in evaluating an expansion candidate. It clearly is a factor.

But you confidently proclaimed that "academics had little to do with conference expansion". If money -and money alone - is the bottom line, your statement is laughable.
Fox does not pay for academics. Research money comes to schools without regard to football conference affiliation.

Reactions: Hans81 and HawkOn15
Unless the B1G has told Oregon and Washington "thanks, but no thanks," I don't know why they would make the move to the Big 12.0 now. They can sit back and wait to see how the ND situation plays out. If the B1G doesn't accept them, they can always go back to the Big 12.0. They will gladly take those two programs in a month from now, a year from now, whenever.
That would be the prudent approach, patience, You get sucked into the sloppy seconds Conference You are stuck with whatever deal You sign and the B12 will make exit fees substantial if they have any intelligence in the Conference Office.

Reactions: iowahawkeyes1982
That would be the prudent approach, patience, You get sucked into the sloppy seconds Conference You are stuck with whatever deal You sign and the B12 will make exit fees substantial if they have any intelligence in the Conference Office.

Yep. Although, as I think this through, the problem for Oregon and Washington (and the B1G for that matter) is the B1G's next TV deal. With the current deal expiring in 2023, something is going to get signed in foreseeable future. The B1G will want to negotiate that deal with it's stable of schools intact. I'm sure there will be an option to renegotiate the deal after it's been signed, but the conference would have considerable less leverage in that situation.

athletics brings a lot of viewers because they’re located in the Bay Area understand neither the Stanford fanbase nor the Bay Area.

Having lived in the Bay Area for a total of 17 years, I can guarantee you there are relatively very few people here who actually give a damn about Stanford athletics.
Viewership plays a pretty insignificant role in this scenario. However, getting into the cable packages in the Bay area is the big factor.

Nike man wants Oregon in Big Ten. Maybe he writes a check or free Merck for all teams??? Except for Nebraska and their Adidas crap and same for Wisconsin.
He also attended Stanford, and I believe his wife is a Stanford grad'. They've gifted the Cardinal before.

He might offer a "package discount" where the B1G takes Oregon & Stanford in return for $____M. Wouldn't be the first restricted country club they've bought themselves into.

Either that, or he pays ND's exit fee from the ACC for merger into the B1G, in return of the Ducks & Cardinal entry.

Reactions: amahawk
Viewership plays a pretty insignificant role in this scenario. However, getting into the cable packages in the Bay area is the big factor.

I wonder how that plays out in consideration? Stanford might have little to no local following in the bay area, but that is a huge viewership market.

Stanford and Washington would be the two additions I'd most want to see the B1G go after. Massive research dollars flowing into both those schools. Excellent academic reputations.

Fox does not pay for academics. Research money comes to schools without regard to football conference affiliation.
Yes but adding a chunk of ~$2B research dollars per annum from USC and UCLA to the Big Ten Academic Alliance makes those research dollars potentially available to share with the other B10 schools who will collaborate with UCLA and USC as part of the Big Ten Academic Alliance.

It seems like not many are aware of the BTAA. In 2020. the BTAA received $11.4 in funded research which all 14 B10 member faculty and students accessed and together collaborated on to conduct important scientific research, up from $10.4B in 2017.

The BTAA has received more than $10B in research funds every year for almost a decade now and the amount is steadily increasing. In contrast, the B10 is currently negotiating a media deal expected to benefit the league to the tune of approximately $1B per year.

He also attended Stanford, and I believe his wife is a Stanford grad'. They've gifted the Cardinal before.

He might offer a "package discount" where the B1G takes Oregon & Stanford in return for $____M. Wouldn't be the first restricted country club they've bought themselves into.

Either that, or he pays ND's exit fee from the ACC for merger into the B1G, in return of the Ducks & Cardinal entry.
I'm not sure I understand your comment regarding ND. Why would Knight help out an Under Armour program? Are you suggesting they switch to Nike after their current deal is up?

I'm not sure I understand your comment regarding ND. Why would Knight help out an Under Armour program? Are you suggesting they switch to Nike after their current deal is up?
I'm suggesting that PK is so desperate to get into the B1G that he would (backdoor) financially "assist" the transfer of ND to the B1G if that were a precondition for accepting Oregon & Stanford into the B1G.

I'm talking about Mr. & Mrs. Knight's personal $54.5B fortune. Nike/Under Armuor has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Question: Why would Big Ten tell Oregon and Washington to hold pending Notre Dame? If were gonna add them anyway then just do it. Or are they seeing if Notre Dame demands other teams????

Maybe ND demands Stanford. But would that change adding Oregon and Washington?

Yes but adding a chunk of ~$2B research dollars per annum from USC and UCLA to the Big Ten Academic Alliance makes those research dollars potentially available to share with the other B10 schools who will collaborate with UCLA and USC as part of the Big Ten Academic Alliance.

It seems like not many are aware of the BTAA. In 2020. the BTAA received $11.4 in funded research which all 14 B10 member faculty and students accessed and together collaborated on to conduct important scientific research, up from $10.4B in 2017.

The BTAA has received more than $10B in research funds every year for almost a decade now and the amount is steadily increasing. In contrast, the B10 is currently negotiating a media deal expected to benefit the league to the tune of approximately $1B per year.

The BTAA isn't talked about enough when it comes to realignment, especially on the national level. When there was talk that Michigan, OSU, et al would also bolt to the SEC, I laughed. College presidents aren't going to trade billions in research dollars for tens of millions in football revenue.

That's why I think Stanford, Cal, Washington and Oregon are all in play. Sure, the B1G TV revenue might be less per school, but if it increases the research dollars, the presidents will be in favor of that. Frankly, I'm shocked the B1G didn't start poaching schools earlier. It makes me think I don't understand everything involved well enough, because it seems like a no brainer.

Reactions: nu2u
Question: Why would Big Ten tell Oregon and Washington to hold pending Notre Dame? If were gonna add them anyway then just do it. Or are they seeing if Notre Dame demands other teams????
I've had the same question.

This a total guess on my part, but if the B1G wants to get to 20, they have to know whether or not ND is in. If ND is in, I can see the B1G taking Stanford, Oregon and Washington. If ND is out, you swap in the aforementioned schools and Cal.

Maybe ND demands Stanford. But would that change adding Oregon and Washington?
I've had the same question.

This a total guess on my part, but if the B1G wants to get to 20, they have to know whether or not ND is in. If ND is in, I can see the B1G taking Stanford, Oregon and Washington. If ND is out, you swap in the aforementioned schools and Cal.
The only reason WA and OR aren't in the B1G already is because they must be a contingency plan, undoubtedly hinging on ND (and likely STAN as a package deal). If ND indeed joins, then the B1G holds all the cards. No need making any other moves until after that is sorted out. And as someone else mentioned, no need for WA or OR to make any panic moves, because the B12 will welcome them with open arms whenever they come calling.

The only reason WA and OR aren't in the B1G already is because they must be a contingency plan, undoubtedly hinging on ND (and likely STAN as a package deal). If ND indeed joins, then the B1G holds all the cards. No need making any other moves until after that is sorted out. And as someone else mentioned, no need for WA or OR to make any panic moves, because the B12 will welcome them with open arms whenever they come calling.
I understand all of that, but I think you're missing the point.

If the B1G values them enough to make them a contingency plan, then ND shouldn't make a difference. If the B1G only sees them as fall back schools, then why add them at all? Stay put with 16. It makes no sense to add schools for the sake of adding schools. Either they are valuable or they aren't.

If the B1G values them enough to make them a contingency plan, then ND shouldn't make a difference. If the B1G only sees them as fall back schools, then why add them at all? Stay put with 16. It makes no sense to add schools for the sake of adding schools. Either they are valuable or they aren't.
Unless Notre Dame has a say. Basically like a voting member already. And they are saying hey hold up on those two for a bit.

I would place Stanford ahead of both of those schools and I my wager is that nearly every Big Ten university president would also - they vote on membership applications, not the ADs.
WSJ ranks both ahead of them

That's where we disagree. ND makes ALL the difference, whether people want to recognize it or not.

For the record, I am not in favor of this super-conference thing that is becoming reality, but since we are at the point of no return, I am going with it. My pipe-dream would be for the B1G to go to 20 with ND, Stanford, Texas and Texas A&M. ND would have to be a must to get the Texas schools. Everything is relative, and while WA and OR would make solid additions to the B1G, the fact that they are still on the outside looking in tells me 1) The B1G is not expanding past 20 teams, and 2) The B1G is in heavy negotiations with ND (and presumably Stanford), and that if that works out, they've got a bargaining chip big enough to go for even bigger fish than WA and OR (TX, aTm and FL are the biggest fish out there not already in the B1G, with many other candidates that are competitive with WA and OR). Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Last edited:
That's where we disagree. ND makes ALL the difference, whether people want to recognize it or not.

For the record, I am not in favor of this super-conference thing that is becoming reality, but since we are at the point of no return, I am going with it. My pipe-dream would be for the B1G to go to 20 with ND, Stanford, Texas and Texas A&M. ND would have to be a must to get the Texas schools. Everything is relative, and while WA and OR would make solid additions to the B1G, the fact that they are still on the outside looking in tells me 1) The B1G is not expanding past 20 teams, and 2) The B1G is in heavy negotiations with ND (and presumably Stanford), and that if that works out, they've got a bargaining chip big enough to go for even bigger fish than WA and OR (TX, aTm and FL are the biggest fish out there not already in the B1G, with many other candidates that are competitive with WA and OR). Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Um…..Texas is going to the SEC. And I highly doubt A&M would leave the SEC.

Um…..Texas is going to the SEC.
Hot take. When did this happen? :rolleyes:

Um…..Texas is going to the SEC. And I highly doubt A&M would leave the SEC.
Yeah, I guess the B1G should just forget about it. Impossible to make teams leave a conference that has no GOR, in which leaving has no well-defined legal or financial recourses, especially when they fit in so much better academically with the B1G than the SEC. The Texas schools' presidents would have no interest in the BTAA.

I said it was a pipe-dream, not that I think it's going to happen. But if the B1G came calling, don't think for a minute that the Longhorns or Aggies would put them on hold (especially with ND in hand).

No way Oregon joins SEC. So they either stay and anchor PAC remnant or make a bastard marriage with middle of the road Big 12.

I know it might not make the same financial sense, but to me adding the AZ teams seems like a better fit than WASH and ORE.

PHX has a huge BIG alumni base and is much easier to get to than Eugene and Seattle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT