ADVERTISEMENT

Meant to post earlier, what did you think of Moore from WVU, the heavy weight wrestler on the court?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Besides the several times she took Hannah down on the offensive end we saw twice on the defensive end where she just pushed a hawk in the back in the lane as the ball went the other way.

I am not going to say dirty but definitely way over physical.

Reactions: Moral
Those WV girls wanted to win and unfortunately that was their strategy. When Hannah proved to be a tough adversary Moore just went harder until the pushing and hooking became takedowns. Could have easily injured Stuelke in those two situations.

Not necessarily a dirty player, but certainly too competitive to stay within the rules in the heat of the moment. She should have been tossed from the game the second time she hooked Hannah to the floor.

*No coincidence that Clark was punched in the face on the same play by a different player. She immediately looks to the ref for a flagrant on that play, and I don't think it was about Stuelke and Moore.

It's a "style" of play, I guess. With the narrative being that Iowa is fragile or soft, I'd suspect much more of it this weekend.

Those WV girls wanted to win and unfortunately that was their strategy. When Hannah proved to be a tough adversary Moore just went harder until the pushing and hooking became takedowns. Could have easily injured Stuelke in those two situations.

Not necessarily a dirty player, but certainly too competitive to stay within the rules in the heat of the moment. She should have been tossed from the game the second time she hooked Hannah to the floor.

*No coincidence that Clark was punched in the face on the same play by a different player. She immediately looks to the ref for a flagrant on that play, and I don't think it was about Stuelke and Moore.

It's a "style" of play, I guess. With the narrative being that Iowa is fragile or soft, I'd suspect much more of it this weekend.
I dont consider the Iowa women fragile or soft. The word resilient does come to mind when thinking of them.

I think some of you guys don't give our players enough credit. We had a similar game last year w/GA in the round of 32 where many of our fans were of course calling them thugs, etc. You've got to play w/the hand you're dealt. Bluder has a style of play she's liked to play for her entire career. Run and have your posts run to position in the lane and beat the other team down the court w/shooters. W VA recruits to their hard nosed physical style of defense. Not super skilled players besides their pt guard but going to give all they have on defense. Different styles make for interesting type of games. We fought and didn't back down.

I laugh at what is called a common foul now. You do some of those things and you get tossed a few short years ago. Taking someone to the floor out of bounds by their arm is and should be a flagrant 2. What happens if Hannah has her arm broken on that play? You have to think about the foul and intent. The intent was to hurt her and there is no other reason for why she did what she did. And she was proud of it afterwards. Total trash players that play a style of game that isn’t considered basketball.

I laugh at what is called a common foul now. You do some of those things and you get tossed a few short years ago. Taking someone to the floor out of bounds by their arm is and should be a flagrant 2. What happens if Hannah has her arm broken on that play? You have to think about the foul and intent. The intent was to hurt her and there is no other reason for why she did what she did. And she was proud of it afterwards. Total trash players that play a style of game that isn’t considered basketball.
And she did it twice no less!! And like someone else said pushed someone in the back, plus others I'm sure. I'll take our hawks over a team like that a million times over. Women can play really nasty it seems.

That wasn't the way basketball was meant to be played.

I don't think we'll see that from Colorado at all. They will try to outscore us, if anything.

I think some of you guys don't give our players enough credit. We had a similar game last year w/GA in the round of 32 where many of our fans were of course calling them thugs, etc. You've got to play w/the hand you're dealt. Bluder has a style of play she's liked to play for her entire career. Run and have your posts run to position in the lane and beat the other team down the court w/shooters. W VA recruits to their hard nosed physical style of defense. Not super skilled players besides their pt guard but going to give all they have on defense. Different styles make for interesting type of games. We fought and didn't back down.
The thing is, the game is called basketball, not rugby or MMA. As such, the game has a set of rules founded on the principle of being a noncontact sport. That is, any significant contact is a foul. What WV was doing is illegal in college wrestling and football. And it's true. Iowa plays a different game than WV. Iowa plays basketball. WV plays rugby.

There is no such thing as "physical" basketball anymore than there is such a thing as "physical" chess.

People need to stop making excuses for basketball thugs. Instead, everyone should be demanding that the rules be enforced and that every foul is called, which would immediately end "physical" basketball.

I dont consider the Iowa women fragile or soft. The word resilient does come to mind when thinking of them.
I don't consider them soft myself, that's just something I see a lot in comments by many SEC fans. Perception, I guess. However, I think most agree that the Iowa starters are generally undersized compared to the teams ahead.

I don't think we'll see that from Colorado at all. They will try to outscore us, if anything.
Not wholesale like West Virginia, but the blueprint to slow down and frustrate Clark is known, and any team deciding to take their chances playing off her is rolling the dice.

Reactions: shudaddy
And she did it twice no less!! And like someone else said pushed someone in the back, plus others I'm sure. I'll take our hawks over a team like that a million times over. Women can play really nasty it seems.

That wasn't the way basketball was meant to be played.
Agreed, sadly it’s the recipe most teams are using against them anymore. They’ve fought through most of it but the unfortunate aspect of it is it could cost Iowa an important player during the tourney. And there’s a good chance nothing will be called.

Why are you afraid of the word , “dirty”? Premeditated style of attack. No way they could beat Iowa playing Basketball so they had to “dirty up” the game.

Why are you afraid of the word , “dirty”? Premeditated style of attack. No way they could beat Iowa playing Basketball so they had to “dirty up” the game.
I think I specifically think of "dirty" play as something clearly outside of the rules of the game. Overzealous, aggressive, emotional play doesn't really fall in that area to me. Pulling hair, poking eyes, tripping, etc. is dirty. Boxing out or screening hard not really.

With regard to the WV game, I thought Moore was reacting emotionally in the plays that took down Stuelke. She was frustrated. And she deserved to be kicked out of the game. The dirty play during that same rebound was the other girl throwing her fist back into Clark's face. That was a really dirty move under the basket.

Idk, it's just semantics anyway. Whatever WV was doing, it almost worked. Just hope Iowa has a better plan facing anything similar.

They're not that stupid. There aren't many (if any teams ) that can just outscore Iowa in a free flowing game. It will still be physical, maybe not as over the top as WV, but they won't just outscore Iowa

Not wholesale like West Virginia, but the blueprint to slow down and frustrate Clark is known, and any team deciding to take their chances playing off her is rolling the dice.
Is it a blueprint though? Because since the game at Ohio State every team that has tried this has lost and in many cases got their asses kicked. Iowa has figured out how to beat it and that's for the other players to step up and make plays. WV lost by 10 and that game wouldn't have been that close if it weren't for bad shooting nights from Martin and Marshall. I also think not having Molly Davis was very noticeable in that game.. The only other game they lost was Nebraska and no one will convince me that it wasn't Iowa who gave that game away. It had very little to do with what Nebraska was doing.

Is it a blueprint though? Because since the game at Ohio State every team that has tried this has lost and in many cases got their asses kicked. Iowa has figured out how to beat it and that's for the other players to step up and make plays. WV lost by 10 and that game wouldn't have been that close if it weren't for bad shooting nights from Martin and Marshall. I also think not having Molly Davis was very noticeable in that game.. The only other game they lost was Nebraska and no one will convince me that it wasn't Iowa who gave that game away. It had very little to do with what Nebraska was doing.
Going forward every team is as good as the best the Big Ten put out there, so the margin of error is almost nil. Would love to see the team get to the F4, but unless one of Clark or the rest of the team is playing to their highest ability they won't get much further. The competition is just too good.

If by chance both Clark and the rest of the team is on all cylinders, or Clark goes supernova then they can possibly beat anyone, but that's a big if we haven't seen frequently this March.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I beg your pardon? They already said that they are going to see how the refs are going to call the game and come at us hard if they're letting things go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT