ADVERTISEMENT

Meat fans—thoughts on the chuck roast?

Is this the most underrated piece of meat? You can get a nice marbled chuck steak off a roast that would be considered American wagyu if you didn’t know any better. It is so versatile on what you can make with it and you can’t beat the price point.

I love chuck roast, but definitely like it cooked for a long time at a low temperature.....or ground up for burgers. When I make chili, I use cubed chuck roast for the meat (and yes, I add beans as well).

Is this the most underrated piece of meat? You can get a nice marbled chuck steak off a roast that would be considered American wagyu if you didn’t know any better. It is so versatile on what you can make with it and you can’t beat the price point.
I’ll sous vide a chuck roast for around 24-30 hours depending on size and it’s absolutely delicious.

Canned beef is the food of the gods. Cut some chuck roast into one-inch cubes and some russet potatoes into similar sized pieces. Fill a bunch of quart Mason jars with the beef, potatoes, and a small chunk of suet and some salt and pressure cook it at 15psi for 90 minutes. Discard the suet and serve with homemade egg noodles. It’s literally life changing.

I’ll throw a chuck roast on the smoker. Cook it low and slow like a brisket. Slice it thin and throw it on a toasted hoagie bun, with sautéed onions and peppers, some provolone cheese, with au jus. Not bad for a cheap hunk of meat.
How do you season it?

I’ll throw a chuck roast on the smoker. Cook it low and slow like a brisket. Slice it thin and throw it on a toasted hoagie bun, with sautéed onions and peppers, some provolone cheese, with au jus. Not bad for a cheap hunk of meat.
Listen Ten Hag GIF by Manchester United

I make really good carne asada with them and then made a maple bacon pot roast recently that was pretty awesome too.

Last edited:
I smoke chuck roasts all the time, Chuck. My favorite sammy has sharp cheddar, a smidge of barbecue sauce and a scoop of slaw….

It's my wife's second favorite meat...........um, no really, she really likes it. We cook it at a low temp for hours and it comes out tender....never mind.

Throwing a 3.5lb on the smoker this Saturday, cut into 6 chunks.

Smoke ~3 hours at 250. Put in a Dutch oven with a can of cherry coke and BBQ sauce for ~2 hours. Shred and put on a nice roll with melted provolone and homemade onion strings.

Solid sammich.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I've been temped to get one of these but never have.. How do you fix it? what would you compare it to?
In the crock pot. I’ve done chuck roast on the smoker but not this one. It has a really high proportion of whatever it is that renders down to like a jelly? I don’t know how to explain it better. It makes it so the meet is flavorful and tender. We wait until they are on sale and then buy 4-5 of them.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
This. Poor man's brisket. I shred it for a pulled beef sandwich.

How do you season it?
I also smoke these like a brisket. Use your favorite bbq rub. I like Meat Church Holy Cow for this. Anything that is heavy on black pepper, salt, and garlic would be good. Sometimes, I'll add a second rub to the mix just to change up the flavor profile a little.

Reactions: yiana
I also smoke these like a brisket. Use your favorite bbq rub. I like Meat Church Holy Cow for this. Anything that is heavy on black pepper, salt, and garlic would be good. Sometimes, I'll add a second rub to the mix just to change up the flavor profile a little.
The nice thing about a brisket or a chuck roast is that it has a lot of surface area and can take a lot of seasoning.

Chuck roast can be difficult to slice when brought up to a temp similar to brisket. It shreds really well though.

I use the chuck cap for my boneless short ribs. But you really have to brown them really well on all sides.

Probably the most flavorful cut of beef there is.
Onions, potatoes, carrots and in the oven it goes.
Ground chuck for burgers is the best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT