ADVERTISEMENT

Meat on the Hoof by Gary Shaw

Iowa-WildCat

Scout Team
Mar 13, 2023
I know this is an Iowa football site but I thought I'd throw something out just for fun. The Book Meat on the Hoof by Gary Shaw. Have you read it? I read it in high school and I remember it being pretty shocking, much like the Junction Boys. I had the pleasure of coaching with a member of The Junction Boys and he made it through but thought he might die. Just curious if others were as affected by Meat on the Hoof as I was.

I should have also said that it is a throw back book for those of us old enough to remember that water makes you weak. LOL It also shows how far things have changed. For the better, in terms of safety, but also how pampered we've become.

Reactions: IamHawkeye
I'm not trying to shit on you but a book about experiences from the 60's is hopefully obsolete by now. If anyone subscribes to the manliness of that time then good for them but trying to literally kill off the weaker members of your team was never a good idea. Survival of the fittest has nothing to do with sports.

Reactions: littlez
I definitely was not trying to suggest it was. I just wondered if anyone else had read the book and compare how things have changed. I also stated things had changed for the better! It's a slow news day for football right now I thought I'd throw something out and see if anyone else remembered reading the book and what their thoughts were.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
meat beef GIF

Have not read it, but I love sports books. Is it fiction? Based on true events?

Eagle Blue (true story that follows an Alaskan high school basketball team)
Miracle at St. Anthony (follows Bob Hurley through a season at St. Anthony)

Miracle at St Anthony’s possibly the best sports book I’ve ever read.

Reactions: jerbob36
I read Meat on the Hoof when I was in 9th grade -1975. It disturbed me for about 2 days.

A few things about the book. Gary Shaw, the author, died homeless on the streets of Dallas with major mental illness problems. It was written in 1970, 5 years after he finished playing and became a flower child of that era. I later met two former Texas players from that time that said that he was totally full of----.

He overly dramatized a lot of normal football practices.

I played football in Texas in the mid 1970's. It was hot, we had somewhat limited water and we had old school Texas HS coaches that believed that if we practiced 4 hours a day and hit on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday that we would be tougher than the other teams that we played (who were doing the same thing). The three weeks of Spring Training were pure hell. Two a days (7 AM until 10 AM and back for 7PM until 10 PM) were tough. Running for an hour straight during our 6th period off-season class wasn't much fun when it got up in the 80's and occasionally 90's in February and March sure wasn't fun.

But the rest of it was great. Massive pep rallies. Having the girl's drill team bring us cake and candy on Thursdays. Other fringe benefits.

Compared to today's players and practices we probably did get abused some. LOL, I didn't write a book about it though

Ever read Friday Night Lights?

Really sad to hear about the author, I did not know that. Very sad! I grew up in Florida and remember we got 1 water break and the coach held a hose we each got 10 seconds and had to move on. What we all did was put out helmet under us while we drank so we could catch some extra water and drink it. NOT at all sanitary! crazy stupid, the things people used to believe.
I definitely read Friday Night Lights. I have not read Miracle at St. Anthony's but will be sure to put it on my list.
Thanks 59DAWG. Maybe you should write a book lol

Thanks for sharing DAWG and for starting this thread Wildcat.

I just reread FNL a couple months ago. Just an amazing book that also looks at race, pressure, and American sports culture.
A couple other favorites:
Hoop Dreams (follows 2 Chicago bball phenoms)
Fab 5 (follows the best recruiting class ever assembled at Michigan; although Kentucky fans might argue that point)

This is why I do stupid posts like this. It's fun to see what other think and remember. Not for all the members but I think some find it entertaining.
OK, another oldie but goodie from my youth Instant Replay by Jerry Cramer.
Read it?
And lastly, the one that made me cry. I am third. I loved Gayle Sayers as I kid.

Thanks for sharing DAWG and for starting this thread Wildcat.

I just reread FNL a couple months ago. Just an amazing book that also looks at race, pressure, and American sports culture.
A couple other favorites:
Hoop Dreams (follows 2 Chicago bball phenoms)
Fab 5 (follows the best recruiting class ever assembled at Michigan; although Kentucky fans might argue that point)
And I'd argue that Hoop Dreams is the best sports documentary of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT