ADVERTISEMENT

Meat Prices

It’s significantly higher . Beef went up. So people started eating more pork and chicken. Now they have went up

last week, chicken wings were $4.99/lb. when hell freezes over.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Yessir. Got it with a rostertail on a small fast moving hole, was a nice surprise.
There used to be a pic of me with my 27" Bow in the pic thread I caught on the North Bear some years back. Similar circs as yours. My youngest caught a 29" Bow on the North Bear a couple of years after I caught mine.

There used to be a pic of me with my 27" Bow in the pic thread I caught on the North Bear some years back. Similar circs as yours. My youngest caught a 29" Bow on the North Bear a couple of years after I caught mine.

Nice creek, havent been up there in years because it is so far north from me.

I got one broodstock around the size of your catch years ago at Little Mill. Not counting on being able to repeat that in this lifetime unless I go down to the White River in Arkansas.

It was pretty hilarious to see that one on a stringer with standard sized stock trout.

Things still go bad in a freezer. A year tops for meat. If you have things from last year when the pandemic took off I wouldn’t eat them.
This is not true in the slightest.
Depending on your storage practices, you may or may not need to trim the edges, but nothing more.

Reactions: ghost80

I got one broodstock around the size of your catch years ago at Little Mill. Not counting on being able to repeat that in this lifetime unless I go down to the White River in Arkansas.

It was pretty hilarious to see that one on a stringer with standard sized stock trout.
I tried eating captive trout I caught. Tasted like hatchery food. I tried wild trout. Taste was completely different. What do you do to make it palatable?

Reactions: Moral
I tried eating captive trout I caught. Tasted like hatchery food. I tried wild trout. Taste was completely different. What do you do to make it palatable?

Lots of lemon juice. If you are lucky you will get a few from the stream with pink meat which just means they have been out of the hatchery long enough to eat fresh food. The pink meat fish taste way better no doubt.

I got lucky last trip and half of mine were pink. It was probably because I was fishing part of the stream that is a pain in the ass to fish.

Edit late fall, winter, early spring you will have a better shot at fish that have been in the creek long enough too.

North Bear is my favorite stream. Love going up in early spring and in the fall!!

Have you ever fished the streams in Delaware county like Bailey's Irish Ford? Do you ever use fly tackle?
I have fished Baileys. To me it is too busy. I like Fountain Springs and Joy springs better. I use a 1 inch white mister twister with 1/64 oz jig head. I love in CR so those streams are a lot closer to me than North Bear.

Have you ever fished the streams in Delaware county like Bailey's Irish Ford? Do you ever use fly tackle?

I don’t fly fish. I pretty much just use spinners like rooster tails and panther martins and do a whole lot of moving hole to hole and trying out and fast moving water I see.

I have fished Bailey’s a good deal and the other ones around there but not the last couple of years. The furthest North I have gone recently is Bankston and Swiss Valley.

If meat is wrapped well and in a good chest freezer, it will keep, especially beef. Beef will keep 2-3 years if it is wrapped well and not ground. Pork if wrapped well should keep around a year. If meat is processed that will shorten how long it will keep.
Growing up my family double wrapped with plastic wrap and freezer paper. Buying meat from a grocery store and keeping meat in a frost-free freezer I would definitely be more likely to follow extension guidelines which is about half the time.
Better yet, get a vacuum sealer

Yeah, she was a big old gal as was my sons. That's why I enjoy the Bears in the fall.

As was noted before.....leave your ladies and marry a daughter of a farmer....I haven't involuntary purchased beef in 5 years. Deep freeze is always stocked.... I should host first HROT Beef and brew. Somebody else needs to supply brew.

I can put up kiddie pool for Trad to shite in.

Yeah, she was a big old gal as was my sons. That's why I enjoy the Bears in the fall.
We go camping at North Bear every early April. This past year we had frost on our tent in the morning and got to mid 60’s for a high. No weeds, bugs and not many people. Perfect time of year!

If meat is wrapped well and in a good chest freezer, it will keep, especially beef. Beef will keep 2-3 years if it is wrapped well and not ground. Pork if wrapped well should keep around a year. If meat is processed that will shorten how long it will keep.
Growing up my family double wrapped with plastic wrap and freezer paper. Buying meat from a grocery store and keeping meat in a frost-free freezer I would definitely be more likely to follow extension guidelines which is about half the time.
If me and my hot girlfriend (no pics) come to your house for dinner, please clearly indicate which steaks are 3 years old

If me and my hot girlfriend (no pics) come to your house for dinner, please clearly indicate which steaks are 3 years old
If your girlfriend is looking for the fresh meat she isn’t your girlfriend, your dad should have told you that. But HROT has plenty of tube steak, I will be sure to invite them over as well. We will have a double wrap rule and she will leave a happy little lady.

ADVERTISEMENT