ADVERTISEMENT

Media Days - Frost

StarHawk

All-Conference
May 27, 2019
Every coach so far as looked and acted professional talking about their teams except one. Frost meanders in with hands in pockets and says he's not doing an opening statement.

So this should have been the very first question from media there "Why are you not giving an opening statement?" In general Frost was surley with most of his answers, especially the few that he was not prepared for (bascially anything other than talking about special teams, 9 losses could have been all wins rhetoric...or the usual talk from him every year that they have "players have chips on shoulders"...chips on shoulders for what?...losing?...or maybe the chips are against Frost for his coaching). Also the other coaches including Ferentz want NIL guidelines....Frost on the other hand only proclaims that Nebraska has lots of fans and Businesses ready to (paraphrase here....pay the players) - no guidelines please.

I was listening to Big Red radio(590) yesterday and their hosts were also questioning Frosts presentation at Media Days.
They thought he came off as very defensive and somewhat in denial about last years Huskers record.
He is sensitive to the suggestion that he would no longer be that involved in the offense now that the new o-coordinator (Whipple) will be calling the plays.
They were not impressed with Frost but were complimentary of the NU AD Trev Alberta who made it clear that Frost needs to win now.

Every coach so far as looked and acted professional talking about their teams except one. Frost meanders in with hands in pockets and says he's not doing an opening statement.

So this should have been the very first question from media there "Why are you not giving an opening statement?" In general Frost was surley with most of his answers, especially the few that he was not prepared for (bascially anything other than talking about special teams, 9 losses could have been all wins rhetoric...or the usual talk from him every year that they have "players have chips on shoulders"...chips on shoulders for what?...losing?...or maybe the chips are against Frost for his coaching). Also the other coaches including Ferentz want NIL guidelines....Frost on the other hand only proclaims that Nebraska has lots of fans and Businesses ready to (paraphrase here....pay the players) - no guidelines please.
He also needs someone to tell him when you wear a tie, button the top shirt button and look professional. He's a Gomer.

What’s the full story on this?
I read stuff on another hawk web board about Frost having marital problems, having an affair with a young lady. I tried to find other online stories and there are a lot of rumor headlines about an affair, marriage troubles. I hope it is not true, of course I dont know the guy and I think he comes off bad as a coach who blames others. I just wanted to know what might be going on.

So I find definitive evidence of personal problems. but maybe it explains some of his always looking disheveled, acting grumpy ass, or maybe he is really just a dick of a person.

The local sports announcers on 1620 the Zone have not been afraid to call out Frosty for his arrogance and mega-ego, and how he constantly throws his players under the bus. This includes his teammate from the late 90s, Damon Benning. Josh and John who do the 2 o'clock show were all over his pathetic presentation including how he still prefaces everything by sharing how he inherited basically a dumpster fire when he took over for Mike Riley. They said maybe that was a valid excuse in year 1 and possibly year 2, but he has had no one to blame but himself for the last 3 years.

I was listening to Big Red radio(590) yesterday and their hosts were also questioning Frosts presentation at Media Days.
They thought he came off as very defensive and somewhat in denial about last years Huskers record.
He is sensitive to the suggestion that he would no longer be that involved in the offense now that the new o-coordinator (Whipple) will be calling the plays.
They were not impressed with Frost but were complimentary of the NU AD Trev Alberta who made it clear that Frost needs to GO now.
FIFY. The guy is a major tool

I read stuff on another hawk web board about Frost having marital problems, having an affair with a young lady. I tried to find other online stories and there are a lot of rumor headlines about an affair, marriage troubles. I hope it is not true, of course I dont know the guy and I think he comes off bad as a coach who blames others. I just wanted to know what might be going on.

So I find definitive evidence of personal problems. but maybe it explains some of his always looking disheveled, acting grumpy ass, or maybe he is really just a dick of a person.
More than rumors, there's plenty of fire behind the smoke. I have clients in Lincoln who have verified and say it's common knowledge there. His personal life is as much of a train wreck as his professional...and in both cases it's self-inflicted.

Scooter is tool and most people who follow B1G sports know it.

Frosty was clearly the most ill-prepared and obnoxious of the 14 BIG coaches that addressed the media in Indy yesterday and today. While public speaking isn't necessarily a barometer for what makes a good coach, I've always been surprised at how bad some of these guys come off. Harbaugh is absolutely a train wreck. Difficult for him to deliver a coherent thought. Paul Chryst is obviously a very good coach, but he has that deer in the headlights look when addressing the media. Mike Locksley isn't much better. The two coaches that impress me most when addressing the media are Coach Fitz and Coach Schiano.....both very articulate and do a nice job.

Scooter is tool and most people who follow B1G sports know it.

Had a guy who sat in front of me tell me his daughter worked at a bar in Lincoln. She told him it was common knowledge he had another apartment he would take college girls. Had others on the lookout to not take photos or anything. Tried to pretend to be the good guy when they were drinking to make sure she got home safe.

I really wasn't sure what to think about this until now.

What’s the full story on this?

This was posted on another Hawk fan board "
"Coach, we noticed your wife moved back to Lincoln after her lawyer told her that if she divorces you before any buyout you might get she'd be ****ed, that coupled with the child support to the 18 year old beer cart chick you knocked up pretty much nullifies any financial benefit there was by coming home to coach at nebraska. Have you considered trying to get 50/50 custody of the kid to ease the burden of those payments, or will your wife not let the kid in the house?"

"If not, do you just do your bimonthly visitations down at that Super 8 on I80 with the pool?""

Lot's of people keep posting and talking about this.

This was posted on another Hawk fan board "
"Coach, we noticed your wife moved back to Lincoln after her lawyer told her that if she divorces you before any buyout you might get she'd be ****ed, that coupled with the child support to the 18 year old beer cart chick you knocked up pretty much nullifies any financial benefit there was by coming home to coach at nebraska. Have you considered trying to get 50/50 custody of the kid to ease the burden of those payments, or will your wife not let the kid in the house?"

"If not, do you just do your bimonthly visitations down at that Super 8 on I80 with the pool?""

Lot's of people keep posting and talking about this.
You'd have to look long and far to find a bigger major coaching failure than Frosty over the last 20 years. This is ESPN feature story kinda stuff.

The Whipple Frost relationship will be interesting. Quite a gamble considering what is at stake.
Article in the athletic they had interview with multiple unnamed coaches, ex players etc. One brought up this situation. Very puzzling to one as to why Whipple would leave Pitt where a year from now he could be looking for another job. Also noted how Pickett was unreal last season but 2 seasons prior not so much. Helps when you had the Biletnikoff Winner like last season. Basically saying he won't have a 1st rd qb and AA Wr at his disposal next season.

As for Frosty glad he had no opening statement. The less he speaks the better. I think the big thing will be what does Trev do if he goes 7-5 or 6-6 with a bowl win. Do you retain him for a 6th year? If he wasn't a former golden boy QB alum I still think even at $15 million they would have fired him if he was anyone else after last season. Be lot easier now with it cut in half at $7.5.

Article in the athletic they had interview with multiple unnamed coaches, ex players etc. One brought up this situation. Very puzzling to one as to why Whipple would leave Pitt where a year from now he could be looking for another job. Also noted how Pickett was unreal last season but 2 seasons prior not so much. Helps when you had the Biletnikoff Winner like last season. Basically saying he won't have a 1st rd qb and AA Wr at his disposal next season.

As for Frosty glad he had no opening statement. The less he speaks the better. I think the big thing will be what does Trev do if he goes 7-5 or 6-6 with a bowl win. Do you retain him for a 6th year? If he wasn't a former golden boy QB alum I still think even at $15 million they would have fired him if he was anyone else after last season. Be lot easier now with it cut in half at $7.5.
I think he would need an upset over a top 25 team or maybe a top 10 team to be able to retain his job mixed in with those 6 or 7 wins.

Below is the full PC

Whip and Dantonio hated each other, and he’s getting 2x the money to go to Nebbie. If Frost gets out of the way, the offense should be much better.

The personality fit has the potential to be explosive, in a bad way. Frost is just such a dbag.

Whip and Dantonio hated each other, and he’s getting 2x the money to go to Nebbie. If Frost gets out of the way, the offense should be much better.

The personality fit has the potential to be explosive, in a bad way. Frost is just such a dbag.
I don't think Frost will be able to help himself by getting out of the way. We will see if he can fit the KF CEO model.

But to Frost's point, he was OC at Oregon when Mariota won the Heisman and was basically the OC at UCF during his two years there (from my understanding).

Last edited:

Yes, Whipple got paid. Is the be-all end all of OC's? Probably not. I'd probably take him at Iowa, but it's a low bar. Whipple is in a good spot. If Nebraska turns it around this year, he's a hot commodity and will take either a better OC job at another school or get a head job. If they lose and the staff is canned, he can just say it wasn't his fault.

Frost appears to be a guy who never really had to overcome adversity as a player or coach prior to coming to Nebraska. His playing career Nebraska won all the time. Got into coaching and immediately the programs he was with won all the time (Chip Kelley at Oregon). Then he goes to UCF, has a great year in a bad league when he had a very good QB and all of a sudden he's the head coach at his alma mater in the Big 10. You can't just recruit better athletes than Ohio State and Michigan when you are at Nebraska. Not happening. When forced to get more out of his talent through development and discipline, he has showed to be not up to the task. At all.

Just has never seemed to take responsibility for the program. I thought he was in trouble his first year when he was complaining about how injured players were acting on the sideline during games. Well who exactly is the coach? That is something you can directly control, how your players act on the sideline. If you want them to act a certain way, tell them what is expected, and if they don't do it, suspend them or kick them off the team. This is not rocket science. Especially in his first 1-2 years, he should have been running a tight ship, purging the guys who didn't want to buy in and building a culture. Instead they spent time with Maurice Washington and "winning the offseason."

The Nebraska media is also the most self-enabling set of lapdogs I have ever seen in my life. After Riley is gone, then the stories come out about "concerns" about lack of physical practices, etc., etc. Frost's behavior is enabled by the Nebraska media, which proclaims Taylor Martinez the savior after one spring game and writes rosy off-season articles about "a new vibe" around team. Without fail. Frost's teams lack of attention to detail the last 3 years is why they haven't beat Iowa in that time. Period. As much as we complain about KF's offense (with good reason), I am very grateful to cheer for a team that has an identity and a coach that gets his team to play hard and smart consistently. It doesn't mean they win all the time (they don't) but I'm old school and appreciate watching a team that will sacrifice and play hard for one another.

ADVERTISEMENT