ADVERTISEMENT

Media is as thin-skinned as KF

HawkCharlotte

HR MVP
Jul 17, 2005
Just listened to Kakert's latest podcast. For the nth time, Kakert and his guest express very critical comments about ... wait for it ... the FANS! Fans are the one party in any conversation regarding Iowa football that the media thinks can they can throw under the bus. Like it or not Iowa football media, you must own the perception that you do not ask NEAR enough tough questions of KF. That's a simple truth: Iowa fans are NOT calling you out ... Iowa fans are WATCHING it happen. Iowa fans are watching KF promote his son at a time when the program is in steep decline ... and the ONLY aspect in decline is the ONE aspect his son coaches.

Iowa's offense has SUCKED every year B's been OC. The best-rated Brian-coached offense was in the 80s. That was one year.

So after another horrible year of the offense, KF freaking PROMOTES Brian to QC.

This is all old news, but the fact is it took a trip to Ohio for these horrible decisions by KF to get the kind of attention they desperately need. Thus ... here's the thin skin:

KF's thin skin is seen when a media person actually does some journalism and asked KF about his son being the worst OC in the country.

Iowa beat's thin skin is seen when a media person actually does some journalism and asked KF about his son being the worst OC in the country.

KF attacks the media.

The media attacks the fans.

How about both of your a$$es do your job?

Just listened to Kakert's latest podcast. For the nth time, Kakert and his guest express very critical comments about ... wait for it ... the FANS! Fans are the one party in any conversation regarding Iowa football that the media thinks can they can throw under the bus. Like it or not Iowa football media, you must own the perception that you do not ask NEAR enough tough questions of KF. That's a simple truth: Iowa fans are NOT calling you out ... Iowa fans are WATCHING it happen. Iowa fans are watching KF promote his son at a time when the program is in steep decline ... and the ONLY aspect in decline is the ONE aspect his son coaches.

Iowa's offense has SUCKED every year B's been OC. The best-rated Brian-coached offense was in the 80s. That was one year.

So after another horrible year of the offense, KF freaking PROMOTES Brian to QC.

This is all old news, but the fact is it took a trip to Ohio for these horrible decisions by KF to get the kind of attention they desperately need. Thus ... here's the thin skin:

KF's thin skin is seen when a media person actually does some journalism and asked KF about his son being the worst OC in the country.

Iowa beat's thin skin is seen when a media person actually does some journalism and asked KF about his son being the worst OC in the country.

KF attacks the media.

"KF promote his son at a time when the program is in steep decline" WTF are you talking about??? Other than this year (which isn't over) the program is on one of it's most successful stretches in modern history. The offense has ranged from slightly below average to atrocious during that span, but the program, from a W/L perspective and recruiting rankings, has been cruising pretty good.

"The best-rated Brian-coached offense was in the 80s" Huh? I don't remember brian coaching in the 80's...was he old enough?

KF attacks the media.

You don’t think the Iowa media ask Kirk about the Iowa offense, Spencer Petras, and Brian Ferentz? It happens all the time. I don’t know how many different ways you can frame questions about the offense sucking. It’s not like this is a new development. The questions have been asked, and Kirk, as always, has given the same vanilla answers. This has been a point of conversation since week one. What exactly are you expecting at this point?

What were the critical comments about the fans? Just curious. I’m guessing most of the criticism is warranted.

KF attacks the media.

Do you listen to the post-game and Tuesday press conferences? Do you even know where to find them?

You don’t think the Iowa media ask Kirk about the Iowa offense, Spencer Petras, and Brian Ferentz? It happens all the time. I don’t know how many different ways you can frame questions about the offense sucking. It’s not like this is a new development. The questions have been asked, and Kirk, as always, has given the same vanilla answers. This has been a point of conversation since week one. What exactly are you expecting at this point?

What were the critical comments about the fans? Just curious. I’m guessing most of the criticism is warranted.
You can hear their voices trembling and them fumbling over words when they do, and they never follow up the way the OSU beat guy did. KF knows he owns them.

I will ask the same question again that nobody can answer apparently.

A. What questions would you like asked?
B. Are you expecting a certain answer(s) and, if so, what answer(s) are you looking for?
C. Do you have a motive and, if so, what is it?
D. How does the result of any of this help the football team?

or there is always:

E. You just like to bitch.

"KF promote his son at a time when the program is in steep decline" WTF are you talking about??? Other than this year (which isn't over) the program is on one of it's most successful stretches in modern history. The offense has ranged from slightly below average to atrocious during that span, but the program, from a W/L perspective and recruiting rankings, has been cruising pretty good.

"The best-rated Brian-coached offense was in the 80s" Huh? I don't remember brian coaching in the 80's...was he old enough?
Sarcasm?

You can hear their voices trembling and them fumbling over words when they do, and they never follow up the way the OSU beat guy did. KF knows he owns them.
Meh. It’s easy for outside media to be more pointed and direct. I’ve listened to or read a few of the exchanges between the Iowa media and Kirk this year. I don’t think the local media have exactly given him a pass. The reality is unless the Iowa media give the Ferentzes the HR message board treatment some fans aren’t going to be satisfied.

That’s not how professionalism works.

B. Are you expecting a certain answer(s) and, if so, what answer(s) are you looking for?

or there is always:

Exactly right. Message boards are the appropriate place for bitching, not press conferences. It’s not like Kirk is unaware the offense has been atrocious this year. There’s only so many ways to frame questions driving at the same point.

Meh. It’s easy for outside media to be more pointed and direct. I’ve listened to or read a few of the exchanges between the Iowa media and Kirk this year. I don’t think the local media have exactly given him a pass. The reality is unless the Iowa media give the Ferentzes the HR message board treatment some fans aren’t going to be satisfied.

Call it message board treatment if you want, I just call it being an objective professional and doing your job.

"Coach, you've said that at the end of every season you evaluate and assess all aspects of performance and decide from there what's best for the program moving ahead. So after the 2021 season, what exactly was it about the fact that Iowa ranked 99th in scoring offense, 102nd in rushing offense, 109th in passing offense, and 121st in total offense that led you to believe that no changes were necessary?"

And yes, I know his response would be... "We won 10 games." To which I'd follow up... "Do you think if the offense had performed better you could've won more than 10?"

I'm not a member of the local sports media, but to me those are pretty direct and reasonable questions.

or there is always:

"Coach, you've said that at the end of every season you evaluate and assess all aspects of performance and decide from there what's best for the program moving ahead. So after the 2021 season, what exactly was it about the fact that Iowa ranked 99th in scoring offense, 102nd in rushing offense, 109th in passing offense, and 121st in total offense that led you to believe that no changes were necessary?"

Yep, it's not that complicated. What you're doing doesn't appear to be working..the numbers show it. What are your plans to improve it? What are you going to do differently?

That's a question any politician, CEO, manager, employee, student gets asked regularly. Too much to ask?

Call it message board treatment if you want, I just call it being an objective professional and doing your job.

And yes, I know his response would be... "We won 10 games." To which I'd follow up... "Do you think if the offense had performed better you could've won more than 10?"

I'm not a member of the local sports media, but to me those are pretty direct and reasonable questions.
I think that is a very reasonable line of questioning. I am not sure if that was ever asked directly to them at any point in the off-season, but if it was and KF's answer to that was that we won 10 games I would say that is dismissive and snarky.

I just think a line of questioning about firing coaches and benching players in the middle of the season is not going to be productive unless a reporter is hoping to get the coach in a particularly emotional mood and get a soundbyte. And I think that anyone who brings up the nepotism thing is out of bounds because there is no reasonable answer to that.

Yep, it's not that complicated. What you're doing doesn't appear to be working..the numbers show it. What are your plans to improve it? What are you going to do differently?

That's a question any politician, CEO, manager, employee, student gets asked regularly. Too much to ask?
Totally agree, I don't have a problem with those questions at all.

I think that is a very reasonable line of questioning. I am not sure if that was ever asked directly to them at any point in the off-season, but if it was and KF's answer to that was that we won 10 games I would say that is dismissive and snarky.

I just think a line of questioning about firing coaches and benching players in the middle of the season is not going to be productive unless a reporter is hoping to get the coach in a particularly emotional mood and get a soundbyte. And I think that anyone who brings up the nepotism thing is out of bounds because there is no reasonable answer to that.
Agree, that's why I think he should be pressed on the whole "after the season evaluation" thing, because if that's truly how he operates, what's his rationale for business as usual after 2021 and those horrible metrics.

Also agree that reporters often are just after a soundbyte.

Reactions: l.todd
I would like to hear more about why they didn’t hit the transfer portal harder given our problems. Otherwise, the questions at this point should be aimed at Barta regarding Kirk’s buyout and Brian’s evaluation.

If Gary Barta truly oversees your son's employment, why is he deferring to your after season evaluation to further direct the program? Is there any accountability for an offense that consistently underperforms season after season?

Reactions: Gonzo Bloor

The media may ask questions. They do not ask tough questions supported by stats. Avoid asking KF & BF why this offensive picture looks the way it does. The Offensive Body of Work for the last ten years has been brutally poor until we finally hit rock bottom. KF deserves a statue. However, so do Norm and Phil but they deserve taller Statues than KF. Sad thing is, that there is a plethora of stats in the public domain that they should be questioned on.

I agree with that. Tbh, after Brian was named quarterback coach, I had a sneaking suspicion this season wasn’t going to go well. It was abundantly clear at that point Kirk had no serious intention of improving the offense, especially with his seeming lack of interest in tapping into the portal.

With all of that said, my point about redundancy and professionalism still stands. The questions have been asked repeatedly.

KF attacks the media.

With all the font changes in your post I would have to say you are the most thin skin of the everyone.
You could say you have…EMOTIONAL DAMAGE
Emotional Damage GIF by Jennifer Accomando

Do you think your lack of offense over the years has had a negative impact on the type of player you can recruit?
Even better...the open ended version. What kind of impact...do you think it has had? Don't let him off with a simple "no".

Reactions: BrewHawk

KF attacks the media.

I think the Iowa media does ask tough questions, the difference between their questions and the ones posed by Doug Lesmerises was the delivery. We all enjoyed Doug's questions, not because they haven't been asked before, but because his tone reflected the frustrations of a large portion of the Iowa fanbase and it noticeably impacted KF.

One thing I do agree with is that, although I love the hawkeyereport podcast, the fanbase is a common target for criticism on it. Sometimes deservedly, but more times than not I feel like the criticism is misdirected. For example, at this point I don't see how the fanbase is at fault for being angry about what is going on with the offense this year (or during Brian's entire duration as OC). A majority of us saw the issues with the offense last year (and leading up to last year) and knew doing nothing was not an option. Ultimately KF did nothing and criticizing him for that decision is fair game; just as discussing nepotism and why it shouldn't be allowed is fair game (we all felt it before, this year amplified it by 100); just like discussing KF being a bad offensive coach is fair game given his track record here. There's tons of evidence for why the fans feel the way they feel on these topics and it's head scratching when members of the media act as if we are being unreasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawk_a_holic
Totally agree, I don't have a problem with those questions at all.
And they’re never asked.

The Iowa media inquires about issues in a round-about way and then doesn’t follow up - they allow Kirk’s “we’ll look at the film” and “we’ll continue pushing forward” responses to fly.

That shit shouldn’t fly but Kirk says it every week with zero push-back.

KF attacks the media.

Feel better? A few more OF THESE might have helped.

Exactly…. quite frankly at this point in time I am done giving KF the benefit of the doubt for this absolutely monstrous train wreck of an offense. But he still has had a hell of a five-year run & these ass clowns on HR they are continually hostile. I’m gonna tell you…

They’d be the first to come unglued if someone came at them too hard!!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
You know, Nate Stanley threw for 26 touchdowns in 2017 and again in 2018.
He had a descent offensive line.
Oh, and Brian was his OC.
Point is, it's more the OL and QB than Brian. IM NOT SAYING BRIAN IS A GREAT OC! Just saying he is not the MAIN reason the offense is broken.

And if KF was Scott Frost, he'd say something like... "the offensive line is absolutely the worst we've had here in my 23 years, and our quarterback is just not very good."

Most of the Eastern Iowa media played college football and coached at a high level as well…..

Their no more qualified than I am, and I played college football. I saw one of the media members at a restaurant last week. His appearances screamed football…..

KF attacks the media.

You sound surprised. Why?

Most successful stretches in modern history? WTF are you talking about?

2011Kirk FerentzInsight BowlOklahomaL 14–31
2013Kirk FerentzOutback BowlLSUL 14–21
2014Kirk FerentzTaxSlayer BowlTennesseeL 28–45
2015Kirk FerentzRose BowlStanfordL 16–45
2016Kirk FerentzOutback BowlFloridaL 3–30
2017Kirk FerentzPinstripe BowlBoston CollegeW 27–20
2018Kirk FerentzOutback BowlMississippi StateW 27–22
2019Kirk FerentzHoliday BowlUSCW 49–24
2021Kirk FerentzCitrus BowlKentuckyL 17–20
No ... 80s is the ranking ... not decade

ADVERTISEMENT