ADVERTISEMENT

Media picks Iowa to finish Fourth in the B1G...West....Yikes!

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The Hawkeyes were picked to finish fourth in the Big Ten West by the 38 reporters polled by Cleveland.com.

Iowa scored 164.5 of a maximum 280 points in the West in the inverted 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scoring format. The Hawkeyes got no first-place votes one year after being picked to win the West.

This is the seventh year of the Cleveland.com preseason poll, which has never resulted in a correct championship prediction. The Big Ten no longer organizes a preseason poll of top team finishers.

The league’s media days will be Monday and Tuesday in Chicago, with coach Kirk Ferentz and three Hawkeye seniors speaking Monday.

A summary of what the media predicted:

POLL RESULTS

BIG TEN EAST DIVISION

1. Ohio State 260 (34 first-place votes)

2. Penn State 231.5 (7 first-place votes)

3. Michigan 192 (1 first-place vote)

4. Michigan State 128

5. Indiana 114

6. Maryland 100.5

7. Rutgers 38

(first-place votes equal more than 38 because of some ties for first)

BIG TEN WEST DIVISION

1. Wisconsin 259 (31 first-place votes)

2. Northwestern 219 (5 first-place votes)

3. Nebraska 176.5 (2 first-place votes)

4. Iowa 164.5

5. Minnesota 131

6. Purdue 57

6. Illinois 57

BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Ohio State over Wisconsin (22)

Ohio State over Northwestern (5)

Ohio State over Nebraska (2)

Wisconsin over Ohio State (3)

Wisconsin over Penn State (1)

Penn State over Wisconsin (4)

Michigan over Wisconsin (1)

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF

26 voters said Ohio State will make playoff

4 said Wisconsin will make playoff

3 said Penn State will make playoff

1 said Michigan will make playoff

3 said both Ohio State and Penn State will make playoff

1 said both Ohio State and Wisconsin will make playoff

No voters said the Big Ten will have zero playoff teams

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

1. Saquon Barkley, Penn State RB, 103 points (30 first-place votes)

2. J.T. Barrett, Ohio State QB, 59 points (5 first-place votes)

3. Trace McSorley, Penn State QB, 30 points (2)

4. Justin Jackson, Northwestern RB, 25 points (1)

5. Mike Weber, Ohio State RB, 2 points

5. L.J. Scott, Michigan State RB, 2 points

5. Alex Hornibrook, Wisconsin QB, 2 points

5. Rodney Smith, Minnesota RB, 2 points

9. Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin TE, 1 point

9. Simmie Cobbs, Indiana WR, 1 point

9. Jamarco Jones, Ohio State LT, 1 point

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

1. Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State DE, 61 points (11 first-place votes)

2. Josey Jewell, Iowa LB, 59 points (12)

3. Rashan Gary, Michigan DE, 23 points (3)

4. Tegray Scales, Indiana LB, 19 points (4)

5. Jerome Baker, Ohio State LB, 12 points (2)

6. Sam Hubbard, Ohio State DE, 11 points (2)

7. Jack Cichy, Wisconsin LB, 10 points (1)

8. Maurice Hurst, Michigan DT, 9 points (1)

9. Marcus Allen, Penn State S, 9 points

10. T.J. Edwards, Wisconsin LB, 7 points (1)

11. Nick Bosa, Ohio State, DE 4 points (1)

12. Godwin Igwebuike, Northwestern S, 2 points

13. Steven Richardson, Minnesota DT, 1 point

13. Blessuan Austin, Rutgers CB, 1 point

Link: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...oll-picks-iowa-fourth-big-ten-west/498645001/

It's a poll that has reasonable result regarding Iowa. One thing I do like is that Iowa seems to out perform poll results when expectations are low. That said Iowa has a lot of questions entering this season so we get to wait and see.

The Hawkeyes were picked to finish fourth in the Big Ten West by the 38 reporters polled by Cleveland.com.

Iowa scored 164.5 of a maximum 280 points in the West in the inverted 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scoring format. The Hawkeyes got no first-place votes one year after being picked to win the West.

This is the seventh year of the Cleveland.com preseason poll, which has never resulted in a correct championship prediction. The Big Ten no longer organizes a preseason poll of top team finishers.

The league’s media days will be Monday and Tuesday in Chicago, with coach Kirk Ferentz and three Hawkeye seniors speaking Monday.

POLL RESULTS

BIG TEN EAST DIVISION

4. Michigan State 128

5. Indiana 114

6. Maryland 100.5

7. Rutgers 38

BIG TEN WEST DIVISION

4. Iowa 164.5

5. Minnesota 131

6. Purdue 57

6. Illinois 57

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF

Link: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...oll-picks-iowa-fourth-big-ten-west/498645001/

Media, pre seasons polls and the average fan all know about the same thing up until October.

Reactions: nu2u and And1Hawk
This poll has never picked the championship in its 7 years of existence, so we have that going for us.

Hard to really disagree. So many question marks and a tough schedule. But, that is why they play the games. Can't wait.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Looks about right to me.
Yeah ...
  • Wisconsin is the incumbent
  • Northwestern's O seems like it's ascending ... AND they beat Iowa last year.
  • Riley's Huskers saw a big jump from '15 to '16. I'd anticipate that they expect about the same play next year - and that puts them around 3rd.
  • Iowa lost a lot in the secondary, has an unproven WR unit, has a new QB, and has a new OC. Too much uncertainty surrounding Iowa to make bold predictions.
I honestly believe that Iowa COULD do better than that ... however, improvements have to be made AND some things will likely have to cut in our favor.

I think they have been doing it for 6 years. They have failed to pick the winner each time.

It's a conspiracy against Iowa of course. That's always the case.o_O
(I think that's what the "wait for it..." was referring to)

It's fine, it's only July. More stuff to print and put up in the locker room at Kinnick. Think they should have a board just dedicated to the pre season guesses at our schedule. 41 days and counting!

Sedge

Been waiting. What exactly am I waiting for?
This was a prime thread for "certain" people to post how everyone hates the Hawks. If you say anything negative about the Hawks your labeled as a "hater".
Actually not even negative comments, just facts about what issues the Hawks have coming into this season.. I was dissapointed.

The circuit of media members are who vote on this, right? Not the coaches, but writers like Dochterman. Emmert, Leistikow?

I think our D will be very good, assuming we find another DT for depth.

We have a very veteran OL, MVB is back, Brandon Smith is probably a lot better than any of those out-of-state writers know about. Easley impressed during the spring and Devontae Young's time has come. Lots of TE's to catch the ball and block, 3 good FBs to punish LBs and ... oh yeah: Akrum Wadley. Now we have added JB as a starter quality second RB. The only real question is at QB. Given all of the other positives, I feel our offense is way underrated. BF will utilize the TEs on 3rd down and we will dominate time of possession.

Did I mention Akrum Wadley?

Great locker room material...very motivational.

Top 4 could beat anyone in the top 4 (including themselves), no certain winner or clearly better team comparing 2017 total team talent, you could easily throw a towel over them all.

Locker room billboard material.. logically it kinda makes sense, new QB, WR are a question mark, no more DK or JJ on D.. there maybe more publications that predict Iowa about the same spot.. we on the other hand know there may be some good although unproven pieces in place tthat may surprise some folks!

Beep boop phhht.....stats.....beep...fart noises....

The 2017 season seems to be setting up much like a better version of the 2013 season. We're breaking in a new QB, we have a pretty tough schedule, and we're clearly needing to make improvements in passing the football ... issues in 2013 ... and issues now.

Some of the parallels are almost freaky ... we return 3 starting LBs, some of our projected starters on the DL have battled injury issues, and we're slated to have some "newness" in the secondary ... issues in 2013 ... and issues now.

Interestingly, expectations weren't terribly high for the Hawks in 2013 ... expectations for the Hawks in 2017 are arguably a bit higher. At the end of the day, while I think that current expectations from outsiders are completely fair ... I also honestly expect for the Hawks to exceed them.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
The 2017 season seems to be setting up much like a better version of the 2013 season. We're breaking in a new QB, we have a pretty tough schedule, and we're clearly needing to make improvements in passing the football ... issues in 2013 ... and issues now.

Some of the parallels are almost freaky ... we return 3 starting LBs, some of our projected starters on the DL have battled injury issues, and we're slated to have some "newness" in the secondary ... issues in 2013 ... and issues now.

Interestingly, expectations weren't terribly high for the Hawks in 2013 ... expectations for the Hawks in 2017 are arguably a bit higher. At the end of the day, while I think that current expectations from outsiders are completely fair ... I also honestly expect for the Hawks to exceed them.
Athlon Sports rated like 7 team metrics for the B1G for 2017. They had Iowa #1 on the OL, #1 on LB, #5 on DL (only rated the top 5). No rating on our running game. This was before Butler. I think Butler is huge. Big plays win games. Watch the OSU. They win with big plays. I think Wadley and Butler are going to be national attention getters.

This year is setting up for the Hawks, no expectations. They have 3 or more guys on several award lists, the secondary will be better than people think with a healthy Rugumba, very good lb's, o-line should be great, a great running back tandem, that leaves qb, D-line and wr. History shows the Hawks do great with a first time starting qb. D-line will be solid as usual. Wr? Your guess is as good as mine, a 100% healthy Vandy would erase a lot of questions though.

Reactions: bigfridaynite
Athlon Sports rated like 7 team metrics for the B1G for 2017. They had Iowa #1 on the OL, #1 on LB, #5 on DL (only rated the top 5). No rating on our running game. This was before Butler. I think Butler is huge. Big plays win games. Watch the OSU. They win with big plays. I think Wadley and Butler are going to be national attention getters.
Fant got a lot of targets as just a TR FR ... I think we all know that is going to ramp up. Furthermore, the young man has the skill set to be a tough match-up for LBs ... particularly if he plays with good toughness. LBs don't expect a speedy TE to also be tough enough to punch them in the mouth.

We know VandeBerg just gets open and makes plays. When Rudock was QB ... he got targets. When Beathard was QB ... he got targets. Considering that QBs often inadvertently play to their own personal favorites ... VandeBerg manages to mesh with whomever is passing him the ball. If he remains healthy, he'll still be productive.

Apart from RBs, if a few more TEs/WRs can step up in the passing game ... that will give the running game all it needs to be able to win games.

I agree that the Hawks will get big plays in the running game. That is going to stress a lot of opposing Ds ... and it COULD give our passing game some interesting opportunities. Furthermore, I anticipate that our running game will be better equipped to help us control the clock ... and that will help every aspect of our team.

Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota 3,4,5 all will be breaking in new QBs - whichever team(s) finds the right QB early to consistently produce and move their offense could very well contend.

Overall, though, IMO these voters tend to undervalue defenses when predicting order of finish and I think a case can be made that Iowa(at this point), along with Wisconsin, are clearly the two best defenses in the West heading into the season.

Reactions: terrehawk
D-end should be solid.
Interior D-line is more of a question.
Jewell is clearly a star. Niemann is generally good. I remain unsold on Bower.
Corner doesn't look bad at all. Safety somewhat iffy.

The D has some good tools, and some shortcomings and question marks.

O-line run blocking and RB are rock solid.
TE has some potential. I really like Fant's athletic ability for breakout potential.
WR is a huge, gaping black hole. QB is a virtually unknown quantity.

Is it really that hard to see why some non-Hawk fan REPORTERS might not think Iowa is destined to go undefeated and rip through the B1G?

Yeah ...
  • Wisconsin is the incumbent
  • Northwestern's O seems like it's ascending ... AND they beat Iowa last year.
  • Riley's Huskers saw a big jump from '15 to '16. I'd anticipate that they expect about the same play next year - and that puts them around 3rd.
  • Iowa lost a lot in the secondary, has an unproven WR unit, has a new QB, and has a new OC. Too much uncertainty surrounding Iowa to make bold predictions.
I honestly believe that Iowa COULD do better than that ... however, improvements have to be made AND some things will likely have to cut in our favor.
Actually the huskers don't look any better to me. I think the Hawks could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th in the West. We will have a good defense and an outstanding running game. I think the QB play will be solid. Could be a great season!

Actually the huskers don't look any better to me. I think the Hawks could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th in the West. We will have a good defense and an outstanding running game. I think the QB play will be solid. Could be a great season!
I was referring more to the perception from outsiders. The Huskers had a crappy record 2 years ago ... and then managed to tie for 2nd place in just Riley's second year. Some folks would start arguing that some of Riley's own recruits are poised to start contributing more and that they're more likely to be "fits" for his system, etc.

Some folks might even have higher expectations for the Huskers and suggest that 3rd place is too low ... however, those same folks wouldn't be accounting for all the personnel losses that they'd been facing. From an external perspective, I can see why folks would perceive them as being around 3rd in the west.

I just don't by this Bullshit one bit.. a team like Nebby we absolutely toon their soul out of them and stomped them into the ground 6 feet deep but the media darlings pick a team more unproven than Iowa to finish 3rd? I actually like it as most will agree and has been said the more you go against the Hawks the better they do.. as history tells us that

Seems like a fair shake. We have a lot of new faces in the two-deeps and we had a not-great season last year. I'm just excited to see the Hawks play some ball again.

POLL RESULTS

BIG TEN EAST DIVISION

4. Michigan State 128

5. Indiana 114

6. Maryland 100.5

7. Rutgers 38

BIG TEN WEST DIVISION

4. Iowa 164.5

5. Minnesota 131

6. Purdue 57

6. Illinois 57

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF

After reading these predictions I'm starting to think Iowa just might be the B1G champions this year!

D-end should be solid.
Interior D-line is more of a question.
Jewell is clearly a star. Niemann is generally good. I remain unsold on Bower.
Corner doesn't look bad at all. Safety somewhat iffy.

The D has some good tools, and some shortcomings and question marks.

O-line run blocking and RB are rock solid.
TE has some potential. I really like Fant's athletic ability for breakout potential.
WR is a huge, gaping black hole. QB is a virtually unknown quantity.

Is it really that hard to see why some non-Hawk fan REPORTERS might not think Iowa is destined to go undefeated and rip through the B1G?

Perfectly sum'd things up. WR is starting to show some life signs, but overall spot on.

1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4. Nebraska
5. Minnesota

Very little original thought from writers previewing the west this year. These teams are very even.

UW is hardly unbeatable. They have a shaky soph QB, lost top 2 RB's and replace D-coordinator AGAIN this time with a 34 yr old. Their schedule is easy but overachieved last year and things are bound to even out.

NW has a decent QB/RB but they lose Thorson's only weapon (Carr) as well as key players on D (Anthony Walker, the good CB, etc.) I'd take Iowa's running game over NW's.

Nebraska might go 5-7 again. Early indications are that they lack depth and have no QB. Also their coach sucks.

Minnesota loses a TON. I hope KF/BF runs up the score on them if given the chance.

ADVERTISEMENT