ADVERTISEMENT

Mediocre Iowa quarterback throws shade at USC and UCLA upon Big Ten arrival

Digger1

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
Mediocre. I wish he was that good.

USC and Iowa will be conference competitors in two years. One Iowa player who will have used up his college eligibility before the Trojans join the Big Ten in the 2024 football season nevertheless decided to give USC a verbal elbow to the midsection.

Our friends at Hawkeyes Wire noted what Iowa quarterback Spencer Petras said about USC and UCLA, now part of this new Big Ten world we live in:

In what has been a common remark from longtime Big Ten fans, Petras took a little jab at USC and UCLA’s oftentimes underwhelming fan support.
“I think the best part is, I mean, you’ve got to if you’re a Big Ten Midwest team, you’ve got to pray for a couple road games in L.A. in November. I mean, you can’t ask for better, because they don’t have any fans, so it’s not like it’s going to be too loud, tough environment. That’s rude. They have fans, but it’s not the same as it is here and 60, 70 degree weather in November would be pretty cool. Yeah, better than 40 mile per hour winds, you can’t feel your hands. Ball is like soaking wet,” Petras said.
Even as Petras fired a couple of shots at Trojans and Bruins fans, he backtracked it to some degree pretty quickly. Really, it’s all in good fun and part of what makes the additions of USC and UCLA so great.
Petras did walk back his remarks … but on the other hand, he still couldn’t resist the dig. Yes, it’s in fun, but USC will certainly remember this when it goes to Kinnick Stadium as a Big Ten team.

22USCTrojans
8-5

Final
1234T
USC7107024
IOWA72171449
i

16IowaHawkeyes

Good for Spencer. They are both merely California douche baggery presented in institutional form. They will easily be the most unreasonable and corrupt members of the conference.

Let's support the ****ing Iowa QB is this kind of a battle, no matter who or how good that QB may be. It really is "us" vs. "them" and "them" is every school but Iowa, and especially the LA freakshows.

USC and Iowa will be conference competitors in two years. One Iowa player who will have used up his college eligibility before the Trojans join the Big Ten in the 2024 football season nevertheless decided to give USC a verbal elbow to the midsection.

Our friends at Hawkeyes Wire noted what Iowa quarterback Spencer Petras said about USC and UCLA, now part of this new Big Ten world we live in:

Petras did walk back his remarks … but on the other hand, he still couldn’t resist the dig. Yes, it’s in fun, but USC will certainly remember this when it goes to Kinnick Stadium as a Big Ten team.
SP finally hits something in stride and right on the numbers. Big Senior year I got the feels!

It’s just a Nor Cal guy dissing So Cal. That went way over the author’s head.
So you guys think the 30 second conversation, hell let's say 5 minutes, was a significant diversion of whatever else Spencer was doing. Like that extra five minutes is the key to his career?

Such a level of animosity toward a 22 y/o kid you don't know can't be healthy.

Who cares. SP was 100% correct.

A. He's not wrong.

B. He probably won't be here by the time USC and UCLA get to the B10............at least I hope to God we've found someone better by 2024.

I’m still not a big fan of SP
But Jeez all he did was mention the average temp and Game attendance for the 2 new schools.shade might have included the score of our last game against THE USC 😉

If anyone would know about not having fans, it’s Spencer Petras.

Probably didn't need to be said but I did think that at least they will be able to sell out their stadiums now with the big ten so cal transplants and midwesterners making a vacation out of it. Not a total rip either, lots of college teams in pro sports towns struggle with attendance these days.... It's just how it is

Probably didn't need to be said but I did think that at least they will be able to sell out their stadiums now with the big ten so cal transplants and midwesterners making a vacation out of it. Not a total rip either, lots of college teams in pro sports towns struggle with attendance these days.... It's just how it is
Meh. That novelty will wear off pretty quick, especially if travel continues to get more and more expensive (tickets included).

Of course, if USC becomes a top player again, which nobody really wants if we're being honest with ourselves considering how everyone forgot that they were Alabama for a brief period under Pete Carroll.............then they'll get their bandwagon fans back in droves anyway.

Good for Spencer. They are both merely California douche baggery presented in institutional form. They will easily be the most unreasonable and corrupt members of the conference.

Let's support the ****ing Iowa QB is this kind of a battle, no matter who or how good that QB may be. It really is "us" vs. "them" and "them" is every school but Iowa, and especially the LA freakshows.
You realize Petras is a Californian right? Lol

Lol. uSC. Please let their first game be here in November 2024. F-ers will wish they were back in the PAC.

I highly doubt this is bulletin board material from a player that won’t be around. It’s kind of a goofy article. I think USC will be focused more on OSU, Michigan, PSU which is fine by me.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
He isn't right now. He chose to leave and is, right now at the time of this controversy, an Iowa Hawkeye. That's all I need to know to determine whose side I'm on.
Still doesn't make him not a SoCal boy. I didn't go to Iowa, but when people asked me where I'm from I said Iowa not the state I was temporarily living in. Know lots of people who haven't lived in Iowa for decades that still consider themselves Iowans.

Still doesn't make him not a SoCal boy. I didn't go to Iowa, but when people asked me where I'm from I said Iowa not the state I was temporarily living in. Know lots of people who haven't lived in Iowa for decades that still consider themselves Iowans.
Spencer is a Bay area boy-Marin is an affluent suburb on the Northwestern Penninsula of San Franciso Bay. He grew up a Stanford and Cal fan I have heard. So that's like people growing up in eastern Iowa making shit of Iowa State.

• Haha
Reactions: IowaHogeyeDoosh
Its a decision shared by literally thousands of people a day. They lost 2 congressional districts in the last census. First time Cal has ever lost seats. It's becoming unlivable.
A hunk of the migration is attributable to the following ...
  • cost of living in Cali is unbelievable - young "normal people" are priced out of living the middle-class lifestyle
  • multi-year droughts have led to big water-usage concerns
  • same issue above leads to a constant fire-hazard threat
  • it can be argued that covid significantly shifted the working paradigm - wherein many folks can do their same jobs from ANYWHERE. The consequence being that many are moving to places that are more affordable.
These trends have been ongoing ... I've observed them irrespective of whom has been in office as the Cali governor (or in the White House). Thus, the knee-jerk reaction of partisan blame would be BOTH misguided and inaccurate.

A hunk of the migration is attributable to the following ...
  • cost of living in Cali is unbelievable - young "normal people" are priced out of living the middle-class lifestyle
  • multi-year droughts have led to big water-usage concerns
  • same issue above leads to a constant fire-hazard threat
  • it can be argued that covid significantly shifted the working paradigm - wherein many folks can do their same jobs from ANYWHERE. The consequence being that many are moving to places that are more affordable.
These trends have been ongoing ... I've observed them irrespective of whom has been in office as the Cali governor (or in the White House). Thus, the knee-jerk reaction of partisan blame would be BOTH misguided and inaccurate.
You forgot to mention how businesses are priced, regulated, and taxed to death so pick up roots and move.

Spencer is a Bay area boy-Marin is an affluent suburb on the Northwestern Penninsula of San Franciso Bay. He grew up a Stanford and Cal fan I have heard. So that's like people growing up in eastern Iowa making shit of Iowa State.
No wonder he struggles he couldn't even choose between CAL and Stanford. That's like saying I'm a fan of Iowa and Iowa State.

It’s just a Nor Cal guy dissing So Cal. That went way over the author’s head.

I don't think that the folks in the article took it too seriously either. However, I agree that there definitely could have been a little bit of a Nor Cal vs So Cal thing going on.

I lived 6 years in Santa Barbara ... and most of the folks I knew there viewed themselves more as central coasters than So Cal. The regional drama you can see play-out in Cali can be kinda amusing.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
ADVERTISEMENT