ADVERTISEMENT

Mediocre Iowa quarterback throws shade at USC and UCLA upon Big Ten arrival

You forgot to mention how businesses are priced, regulated, and taxed to death so pick up roots and move.
I lived in Cali for a while ... loved it. I have no bones to pick with the state. Most of the midwesterners I've known who dog Cali are usually pretty clueless.

Plenty of businesses remain there too ... still a big market. It costs to do business - so businesses pass that cost on to the consumer (usually). Also, it's a labor market that benefits from a lot of excellent universities (UC system, Harvey Mudd, Stanford, caltech, etc) ... businesses also spring up around where there is the talent. Silicon Valley just didn't emerge from nowhere.

I lived in Cali for a while ... loved it. I have no bones to pick with the state. Most of the midwesterners I've known who dog Cali are usually pretty clueless.

Plenty of businesses remain there too ... still a big market. It costs to do business - so businesses pass that cost on to the consumer (usually). Also, it's a labor market that benefits from a lot of excellent universities (UC system, Harvey Mudd, Stanford, caltech, etc) ... businesses also spring up around where there is the talent. Silicon Valley just didn't emerge from nowhere.
Yeah California is pretty amazing. I’m guessing most of the naysayers just judge the state on San Fransisco or something.

Lol. uSC. Please let their first game be here in November 2024. F-ers will wish they were back in the PAC.
They have never been to Kinnick at night. Talk about throwing shade. Not the cupcake they
Yeah California is pretty amazing. I’m guessing most of the naysayers just judge the state on San Fransisco or something.
Daughter goes to med school in Loma Linda. We love to visit, people are very polite and friendly.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

I'm Iowa born and bred. U of Iowa alumni. Love affair with Iowa. My wife and I will be buried there. Lived in Nor Cali for 21 years. Just a love affair where I live. I'm in heavan. People say stupid things about Cali and their politics or their governor. Love my Hawkeyes so much. So much. Go Hawks.

A hunk of the migration is attributable to the following ...
  • cost of living in Cali is unbelievable - young "normal people" are priced out of living the middle-class lifestyle
  • multi-year droughts have led to big water-usage concerns
  • same issue above leads to a constant fire-hazard threat
  • it can be argued that covid significantly shifted the working paradigm - wherein many folks can do their same jobs from ANYWHERE. The consequence being that many are moving to places that are more affordable.
These trends have been ongoing ... I've observed them irrespective of whom has been in office as the Cali governor (or in the White House). Thus, the knee-jerk reaction of partisan blame would be BOTH misguided and inaccurate.
Oh, brother, you read way too much into what I was saying. California has been a shithole since at least Reagan's last term, and LA has always really been a sick, pukey place. My evidence is musical. Have you ever noticed that almost every song writer of almost every genre that has moved to LA writes songs about how shitty LA is and every song writer that grows up there thinks it's great? Seriously, think of all the songs about how shitty LA is from all the genres that come to mind.

My favorite lines from "Midwest Blues" "Iowa's a callin' me cuz out here I've got nuthin' to lose." and "Takin 80 all the way with my severance pay until I reach the Hawkeye State." Dylanesque.

Always hated Cali. I don't even like their ****ing wine and all those cute little village trendinations.​

California has just finally reached the point where is has become unlivable. In part, of course, because of the cost of living, which is the real route of the desire for more illegals. Who needs middle class/tradesmen and blue color labor when you can have an elite aristocracy of obscene wealth and a slave class that does all the actual labor? Didn't work for Rome and probably won't work for California. Other than the usual natural causes, they have more fires because they refuse to maintain modern forestry practices, oh and allowing the rich to build multimillion dollar enclaves along the edge of unmanaged forests just to add additional sources of fire in already high-risk areas. Given California's climate in general and the many great droughts that have struck the mostly desert southwest United States perhaps building more reservoirs and creating larger water sources in the wet years might have been possible. Covid's effect is too recent and perhaps too small to have caused a cross continental journey from SoCal to West Des Moines.

I've been all over Cali and been there a lot. Spent two summers out there for most of the summer. Got to spend some time in San Diego, which does have beautiful weather. Even the ocean off Cali sucks. The dirt worshippers say the ocean water cannot be desalinated because its poisoned from garbage pollution. Sharks in the ocean, brown bears, black bears, the largest Moutain Lions, the eastern suburbs are being ravaged by herds of wild hogs, among the funniest and most metaphorical occurrences in American history, so you've got large predators everywhere you go. Where's the cool.​

Yeah, well, I was born there and lived there for awhile. Meaningless. Many big businesses have moved out or are moving out. My information is based upon what these businesses say is the reason they moved out. I didn't go to California to find that out. I read about it what they gave for the reason. I am going to guess that coming straight from the horses mouth that it is very reliable. Dailywire claims the lack of safety became their top issue.

Petras did walk back his remarks … but on the other hand, he still couldn’t resist the dig. Yes, it’s in fun, but USC will certainly remember this when it goes to Kinnick Stadium as a Big Ten team.

2 years from now after Petras is gone?,... Doubtful that anyone remembers this very soft jab.

Reactions: pistachio1999
Hmm. We just defeated them a couple years back. No it is not a joke. USC QBs suck and they play in the PAC!!!!
basing their QB room from one game, and they play in the PAC...lol this is one magnificent take. Hell Darnold went #3 overall, Slovis will likely be drafted after this year. Kody Kessler was a 3rd rounder. None of this is even to mention their completion %s, the passer ratings, or any stat, but do go on about their mediocre QB room. Oh and Williams joining this year. LO FING L

Sounds like a compliment. The Hawks win the West with mediocre quarterbacking this season.

basing their QB room from one game, and they play in the PAC...lol this is one magnificent take. Hell Darnold went #3 overall, Slovis will likely be drafted after this year. Kody Kessler was a 3rd rounder. None of this is even to mention their completion %s, the passer ratings, or any stat, but do go on about their mediocre QB room. Oh and Williams joining this year. LO FING L
And what have they done since they have been drafted???? Fall flat on their faces.

Oh, brother, you read way too much into what I was saying. California has been a shithole since at least Reagan's last term, and LA has always really been a sick, pukey place. My evidence is musical. Have you ever noticed that almost every song writer of almost every genre that has moved to LA writes songs about how shitty LA is and every song writer that grows up there thinks it's great? Seriously, think of all the songs about how shitty LA is from all the genres that come to mind.

My favorite lines from "Midwest Blues" "Iowa's a callin' me cuz out here I've got nuthin' to lose." and "Takin 80 all the way with my severance pay until I reach the Hawkeye State." Dylanesque.

Always hated Cali. I don't even like their ****ing wine and all those cute little village trendinations.​

California has just finally reached the point where is has become unlivable. In part, of course, because of the cost of living, which is the real route of the desire for more illegals. Who needs middle class/tradesmen and blue color labor when you can have an elite aristocracy of obscene wealth and a slave class that does all the actual labor? Didn't work for Rome and probably won't work for California. Other than the usual natural causes, they have more fires because they refuse to maintain modern forestry practices, oh and allowing the rich to build multimillion dollar enclaves along the edge of unmanaged forests just to add additional sources of fire in already high-risk areas. Given California's climate in general and the many great droughts that have struck the mostly desert southwest United States perhaps building more reservoirs and creating larger water sources in the wet years might have been possible. Covid's effect is too recent and perhaps too small to have caused a cross continental journey from SoCal to West Des Moines.
Yeah, you're well known as one of the biggest partisan dbags on HR but I hope you feel better after sharing all your politically biased nonsense on the football board. Calififornia wouldn't be the world's 5th largest economy on its own with some of the most expensive real estate around if it sucked like you pretend it does....but hate on I guess. Luckily there are still plenty of places in the diverse USA where dipshits like yourself fit right in. God bless 'Merica

Reactions: littlez and Ree4
The slums/tent cities of LA and SF are considered to be the filthiest in the world. Lots of Californians have packed their bags and moved to Texas. They had enough of the insanity.

OK ... so I have been attempting to unravel this in my mind, more from the perspective of being a Cal fan than any other. I cannot help but to think that UCLA is going to blow up college athletics for all of the West Coast schools.

Newsome does indeed have standing in this situation, and it sounds as if this was a rushed decision from the start.

I do not see too many good options for Cal (and Stanford) going forward. A good chunk of their revenues will be redirected to the Big Ten after this and they indeed were broadsided by this decision. I had no idea that UCLA was "Broke," and would like to know more about that situation. How did that come about? Covid? Who is broke? Certainly not the institution itself, but just the athletic department? Who gets to appoint the receiver when a university athletic department files for bankruptcy? The state? some federal judge, the conference? These details need to be put forth. Will there be financial pain, or simply a bail-out?

The only real solution I see is to merge the entire Pacific 12 with the Big Ten and probably to throw in the remnants of the Big Twelve as well ... at least OSU, KSU, KU, ISU, and Texas Tech. Baylor could join the ACC or the Ivy League. There are some great programs in the ACC, and they don't seem to be at the table on any of this either.

In any event, it is time for a total realignment ... to include the abandonment of the NCAA. Right now, we as a collection of sports fans are simply dicking around with this leaving a true mess in our wake. We have a situation where the "Haves" are selecting some other "Haves." This will implode at some point, perhaps resulting in the total elimination of college sports. Inside of twenty years, a few of today's "haves" will have lost their status. I doubt that that will go over well in their home states.

... or perhaps a ten-year hiatus from any conference alliances. Everyone is independent for ten years, and then we come back to it and start from scratch.

OK ... so I have been attempting to unravel this in my mind, more from the perspective of being a Cal fan than any other. I cannot help but to think that UCLA is going to blow up college athletics for all of the West Coast schools.

Newsome does indeed have standing in this situation, and it sounds as if this was a rushed decision from the start.

I do not see too many good options for Cal (and Stanford) going forward. A good chunk of their revenues will be redirected to the Big Ten after this and they indeed were broadsided by this decision. I had no idea that UCLA was "Broke," and would like to know more about that situation. How did that come about? Covid? Who is broke? Certainly not the institution itself, but just the athletic department? Who gets to appoint the receiver when a university athletic department files for bankruptcy? The state? some federal judge, the conference? These details need to be put forth. Will there be financial pain, or simply a bail-out?

The only real solution I see is to merge the entire Pacific 12 with the Big Ten and probably to throw in the remnants of the Big Twelve as well ... at least OSU, KSU, KU, ISU, and Texas Tech. Baylor could join the ACC or the Ivy League. There are some great programs in the ACC, and they don't seem to be at the table on any of this either.

In any event, it is time for a total realignment ... to include the abandonment of the NCAA. Right now, we as a collection of sports fans are simply dicking around with this leaving a true mess in our wake. We have a situation where the "Haves" are selecting some other "Haves." This will implode at some point, perhaps resulting in the total elimination of college sports. Inside of twenty years, a few of today's "haves" will have lost their status. I doubt that that will go over well in their home states.

... or perhaps a ten-year hiatus from any conference alliances. Everyone is independent for ten years, and then we come back to it and start from scratch.
Nah. They just didn't bow to the King before making the decision. They will go and bow and let the King know this is how much more $$$$ they will bring in that the state won't have to worry about bailing out and the King will bless it. You have to kiss their rings.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
That comment is as dumb as people saying Petras led us to 10 wins lmao.

Did you watch the game? You could really just look at the stats even. They sure as hell didn't lose because of slovis!
I think we have a USC fan here!!! Or maybe he has a Lincoln Riley poster up on the wall already.

Reactions: Ree4
Mediocre. I wish he was that good.

USC and Iowa will be conference competitors in two years. One Iowa player who will have used up his college eligibility before the Trojans join the Big Ten in the 2024 football season nevertheless decided to give USC a verbal elbow to the midsection.

Our friends at Hawkeyes Wire noted what Iowa quarterback Spencer Petras said about USC and UCLA, now part of this new Big Ten world we live in:

Petras did walk back his remarks … but on the other hand, he still couldn’t resist the dig. Yes, it’s in fun, but USC will certainly remember this when it goes to Kinnick Stadium as a Big Ten team.
I think the offense holds him back,

Yeah, you're well known as one of the biggest partisan dbags on HR but I hope you feel better after sharing all your politically biased nonsense on the football board. Calififornia wouldn't be the world's 5th largest economy on its own with some of the most expensive real estate around if it sucked like you pretend it does....but hate on I guess. Luckily there are still plenty of places in the diverse USA where dipshits like yourself fit right in. God bless 'Merica
I'm not the one having a knee jerk political reaction.

Large does not equal good. Cali's got a big economy. Great. So does India. Why don't you journey through the IPUMS CPS-ASEC data, once one of your more intelligent fellow travelers tell you what that means. California is 47th out of 50 in widest income disparity, again, kind of like India. Now I cannot recall this with certainty because I was too tired to do the year by year, but I think that disparity has gotten worse every year since 83. All that production and profit-to extend my musical evidence-is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills in some other person's name. Massive income disparity, and its massive because Cali is so large, is not a desirable economic phenomenon, right?

Ghost is right, one of the most significant reasons people are pouring out of Cali is the extremely high cost of living. Indeed, Cali is 49th in cost of living, or 48th depending on what in included as "income." Exclude public assistance and NY is 49, include public assistance Cali is 49th. Since Cali includes public assistance in determining total family income we can play by their rules. Only Hawaii, where literally everything has to delivered in ships and planes is more expensive. An economy can be large, and still produce great wealth for a very small percentage of the population while leaving the rest somewhere between poor and survival level. Do you consider that high cost of living a desirable economic phenomenon?

You, and Ghost on this part as well, totally overlook what it means for a population group the size of Cali to shrink. They haven't had an international war, although the border crime and the urban crime do bespeak small war casualties. They haven't had mass starvation in Cali of which I've heard. Cali has about 40 million people. Cali still has a positive birth rate. Cali is the 6th youngest state in the country.

What does this mean? It means the law or theory of demographic momentum says Cali should be gaining about 100,000 people per year. Because of the young age of the population-their average is still within the normal age range of birthing human beings, they should still be gaining population for another maybe 50-70 years.

There were 420,000ish births in Cali last year alone. Can you actually imagine how shitty things have to be to explain the mass emigration and Cali's declining share of the national population?

The mere fact that there are "some nice places" and "some people have money" and "some people are great" doesn't prove that the totality and generality of the situation is good. That's kind of a hasty generalization. The fact that people are leaving so fast their exits outweigh demographic momentum is fairly conclusive evidence of the prevalent conditions in contemporary Cali.

The sad thing is you didn't stop to consider any details or implications of what I was saying before you just personally attacked me. That's pretty good tell you will have no more insight into my thoughts about California than the protohumans saw in the obelisk.

As for where I fit in? Right ****ing here:

Last edited:
I've been all over Cali and been there a lot. Spent two summers out there for most of the summer. Got to spend some time in San Diego, which does have beautiful weather. Even the ocean off Cali sucks. The dirt worshippers say the ocean water cannot be desalinated because its poisoned from garbage pollution. Sharks in the ocean, brown bears, black bears, the largest Moutain Lions, the eastern suburbs are being ravaged by herds of wild hogs, among the funniest and most metaphorical occurrences in American history, so you've got large predators everywhere you go. Where's the cool.​
"Poisoned from garbage pollution" ... I could definitely see some Californians I knew say dumb stuff like that.

While I love/loved Cali ... the high schools didn't impress me there. Call it dark comedy and dishonesty ... but my wife and I would often ask the kids at a cash register to make an extra step when making change. Something akin to giving the kid 21 bucks when something cost 11 ... so the change should be simple. It's uncanny how often they'd give us more than we gave them. It reinforces a life philosophy that my wife and I share ... it SHOULD hurt to be stupid (and, fyi, we're not excluded from its consequences).

The slums/tent cities of LA and SF are considered to be the filthiest in the world. Lots of Californians have packed their bags and moved to Texas. They had enough of the insanity.
Texas is renown for being dirt-cheap compared to most other states.

Even given the "yuppification" of Austin ... it's still dirt-cheap compared to California. I used to live in Austin before the downtown succumbed to high-rise condos and apartment buildings. Loved its hippy vibe ... reminded me some of my time in Cali.

Yeah, well, I was born there and lived there for awhile. Meaningless. Many big businesses have moved out or are moving out. My information is based upon what these businesses say is the reason they moved out. I didn't go to California to find that out. I read about it what they gave for the reason. I am going to guess that coming straight from the horses mouth that it is very reliable. Dailywire claims the lack of safety became their top issue.
That happens all the time though.

Due to low taxes (for a time) ... Ireland was able to attract a bunch of big-corporations to move their headquarters there. Once the tax-breaks subsided ... many (if not most) of the companies up and left. Big business will usually try to go where the "grass is greener."

Texas is renown for being dirt-cheap compared to most other states.

Even given the "yuppification" of Austin ... it's still dirt-cheap compared to California. I used to live in Austin before the downtown succumbed to high-rise condos and apartment buildings. Loved its hippy vibe ... reminded me some of my time in Cali.
Dig the Austin Sound. Got to be honest with you, not all that fond of Texas. Too hot and entirely too loud.

Now when I used to party at the border and wasn't such a curmudgeon I had a different opinion.

"Poisoned from garbage pollution" ... I could definitely see some Californians I knew say dumb stuff like that.

While I love/loved Cali ... the high schools didn't impress me there. Call it dark comedy and dishonesty ... but my wife and I would often ask the kids at a cash register to make an extra step when making change. Something akin to giving the kid 21 bucks when something cost 11 ... so the change should be simple. It's uncanny how often they'd give us more than we gave them. It reinforces a life philosophy that my wife and I share ... it SHOULD hurt to be stupid (and, fyi, we're not excluded from its consequences).
That just happened to me at Culvers.

Dig the Austin Sound. Got to be honest with you, not all that fond of Texas. Too hot and entirely too loud.

Now when I used to party at the border and wasn't such a curmudgeon I had a different opinion.
Born in Iowa and lived there for 38 years. Have lived in Texas last 21 years. I would rather endure the extreme heat then bitter cold.
Live right between Austin and SA and building material supply chain is my profession. I thought I experienced explosive growth until this last 2 years with the Cali migration. Great conversations with many of the transplants from all walks of life. They are the ones who are productive citizens who could get out and made the decision. The company I work for closed a division in Cali as well. What ever Cali was when I grew up is now gone due to poor leadership. Most of the critical issues are urban and will continue but the loss of businesses and tax payers will continue to cost them dearly.
UCLA is broke and have joined the BIG. This “migration” does speak volumes of their current situation.
Newsome will attempt to wield whatever power he can muster to control of the outcome of UCLA’s exit but it will only place focus on how that institution got there in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT