ADVERTISEMENT

Meerkat to break career receptions record?

BigOHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
Can Meerkat get 76 receptions to break KMM's record if he stays healthy? He put up 65 in '15, I could see this happening as he'll likely be Stanley/Wiegers safety valve and go-to-guy. Single season record of 82 is shared by Kasper and McNutt.

Would love to see, as it means he stays healthy the entire season. Also might be good for the team for him to not, as it might mean someone, anyone stepped up and is a legitimate threat to catch some balls. Taking that kind of pressure off our 1st year QB would do wonders.

Reactions: kceasthawk
With two 1,000 yard RBs and a brand new QB will we even attempt 76 passes this year?

Yeah, we could. It would indicate the passing game is wildly successful though, and Iowa is a top 10 team!

As for MVB, I'll just be happy if he plays in half the games. I still have a very bad feeling we don't know all there is to know about this foot problem.

Almost all foot breaks become chronic I also have an eery feeling I was able to meet him at the cedar county fair Tucker beathard was singing , he's such a nice kid.

I didn't realize his wife is the hot blond who does the hawkeye athletic update stuff........if he never catches a pass again I will not feel bad for him-damn she is fine!!!!

Cool it Milehigh. There's no place in football for woman....................... :cool:

Iowa shouldn't need to throw the football a lot.A very good running game and good D. Will win most games.If Vandy stays healthy all year and gets 30-40 catches I think Iowa record will be very good I see lots of throws to backs and TE's too.

With a new QB ... and with the top QBs still seeing split reps with the 1s ... I'm not certain that they'll develop the same connection with VandeBerg that Beathard had. Furthermore, given that he was injured - he's already seen limited reps to develop the requisite timing. Lastly, the new offense is the last angle that could undermine it.

Given that this is the first season of the new O ... I still kind of expect a disproportionate number of completions to the TEs and RBs. Furthermore, I expect that an inexperienced QB is more apt to tuck the ball and run if they get in trouble (rather than looking downfield for Meerkat).

Reactions: cfhawk11
With a new QB ... and with the top QBs still seeing split reps with the 1s ... I'm not certain that they'll develop the same connection with VandeBerg that Beathard had. Furthermore, given that he was injured - he's already seen limited reps to develop the requisite timing. Lastly, the new offense is the last angle that could undermine it.

Given that this is the first season of the new O ... I still kind of expect a disproportionate number of completions to the TEs and RBs. Furthermore, I expect that an inexperienced QB is more apt to tuck the ball and run if they get in trouble (rather than looking downfield for Meerkat).
Not saying I disagree, however; KOK has had unprecedented success with 1st year starters at QB. Some make it a point that QB's digress during KF's tenure- while this is the case for a small #, it is more of an exception than the norm.

I watched highlights from the '16 Iowa-IA St game a couple days ago. Meerkat was a human highlight film in that game. If he's back and stays healthy this year, we'll have at least one EXTREMELY SOLID WR that can be a game changer. Honestly, last year's record is probably a couple games better if he would have stayed healthy. I don't know about style or measurables, but in production and ability to just make the catches, he was to Iowa what Abridaris (sp?) was for Wiscy. Simply an amazing ability to catch the ball.

Not saying I disagree, however; KOK has had unprecedented success with 1st year starters at QB. Some make it a point that QB's digress during KF's tenure- while this is the case for a small #, it is more of an exception than the norm.
I cannot say that I agree with this assessment by the others who suggest that the QBs decline. There is a CORRELATION between QBs seeing their first year starting AND a lot of wins as a TEAM. However, the performance of the team, as a whole doesn't necessarily reflect a diminished performance by the QB. Here are some examples ...

• Case 1: Brad Banks saw A LOT of action in 2001. He also made plenty of bone-headed decisions too ('01 Michigan game, anyone?). However, he made HUGE improvements heading into his SR season.
  • Case 2: The poster child for improvement at QB under O'Keefe truly was Stanzi. Stanzi was a game-manager in '08 ... and that's all he had to be given our OL and Shonn Greene. In '09, with Hampton's blown ACL ... all of a sudden Iowa's season rested on the arm of Stanzi. He answer the bell ... and helped win games with his arm. Definitely nice improvement shown by a guy who was previously a game-managed ... of course, his play was still too sloppy (hence all the "Rick Sixes"). The '10 season was clearly Stanzi's best as a QB. He made better decision, Iowa moved the ball more consistently, and Iowa's O was better as a whole ... the only knock on the O was our depth at RB. Iowa's biggest problem in '10 was 3rd down defense. Our LB injuries were significant and that put a lot of strain on other parts of the D to compensate. Furthermore, Coach K's "coaching style" really seemed to start taking it's toll on the DL .... the morale of the group really seemed to take a downturn that year (and that impacted leadership among other things).
  • Case 3: Kyle McCann really seemed to improve too. He went from a guy who had trouble holding down the starting QB spot ... to a guy who helped lead us to a bowl game in '01.
  • Case 4: Even Drew Tate, a guy who didn't even really like O'Keefe, at least demonstrated clear improvement from '04 to '05. Tate demonstrated that he was a "gamer" in '04 ... in '05 he showed improvement in essentially every key category. He made better decisions with the ball, he threw for more yardage, and, unless I'm mistaken, I believe he threw for more TDs too. The only reason why '06 didn't demonstrate a continued progression for Tate was due to "newness" among pass-catchers AND an injury (that impacted his throwing motion).

I have no idea what to expect in '17. This is the first time since '99 that O'Keefe has had to install a new offense at Iowa. The '99 season produced decent yardage in the passing game ... but it was pretty pathetic as it related to TD passes. Admittedly, O'Keefe is dealing with a much different scenario in '17 than he was in '99. Ferentz's culture is already "installed," Iowa's zone-blocking is already installed, Iowa's running-game is essentially already there, and O'Keefe is only the QB coach so he can focus his attentions more on QB development. Furthermore, I truly believe that Wiegers and Stanley are quality QBs ... thus, O'Keefe has a good group to work with.

Last edited:
I cannot say that I agree with this assessment. There is a CORRELATION between QBs seeing their first year starting AND a lot of wins as a TEAM. However, the performance of the team, as a whole doesn't necessarily reflect a diminished performance by the QB. Here are some examples ...

• Case 1: Brad Banks saw A LOT of action in 2001. He also made plenty of bone-headed decisions too ('01 Michigan game, anyone?). However, he made HUGE improvements heading into his SR season.
  • Case 2: The poster child for improvement at QB under O'Keefe truly was Stanzi. Stanzi was a game-manager in '08 ... and that's all he had to be given our OL and Shonn Greene. In '09, with Hampton's blown ACL ... all of a sudden Iowa's season rested on the arm of Stanzi. He answer the bell ... and helped win games with his arm. Definitely nice improvement shown by a guy who was previously a game-managed ... of course, his play was still too sloppy (hence all the "Rick Sixes"). The '10 season was clearly Stanzi's best as a QB. He made better decision, Iowa moved the ball more consistently, and Iowa's O was better as a whole ... the only knock on the O was our depth at RB. Iowa's biggest problem in '10 was 3rd down defense. Our LB injuries were significant and that put a lot of strain on other parts of the D to compensate. Furthermore, Coach K's "coaching style" really seemed to start taking it's toll on the DL .... the morale of the group really seemed to take a downturn that year (and that impacted leadership among other things).
  • Case 3: Kyle McCann really seemed to improve too. He went from a guy who had trouble holding down the starting QB spot ... to a guy who helped lead us to a bowl game in '01.
  • Case 4: Even Drew Tate, a guy who didn't even really like O'Keefe, at least demonstrated clear improvement from '04 to '05. Tate demonstrated that he was a "gamer" in '04 ... in '05 he showed improvement in essentially every key category. He made better decisions with the ball, he threw for more yardage, and, unless I'm mistaken, I believe he threw for more TDs too. The only reason why '06 didn't demonstrate a continued progression for Tate was due to "newness" among pass-catchers AND an injury (that impacted his throwing motion).

I have no idea what to expect in '17. This is the first time since '99 that O'Keefe has had to install a new offense at Iowa. The '99 season produced decent yardage in the passing game ... but it was pretty pathetic as it related to TD passes. Admittedly, O'Keefe is dealing with a much different scenario in '17 than he was in '99. Ferentz's culture is already "installed," Iowa's zone-blocking is already installed, Iowa's running-game is essentially already there, and O'Keefe is only the QB coach so he can focus his attentions more on QB development. Furthermore, I truly believe that Wiegers and Stanley are quality QBs ... thus, O'Keefe has a good group to work with.
I think we actually agree, at least I was trying to say that QB's actually did improve under KOK- I know Stanzi's senior year was outstanding statistically

I think we actually agree, at least I was trying to say that QB's actually did improve under KOK- I know Stanzi's senior year was outstanding statistically
I neglected to clearly read the latter part of your comment. True to your contention, you claimed that others have mentioned the trend of Iowa's QBs having great years as first year starters and then declining ... but you went on to say that that was not the norm. My apologies for my misinterpretation of your post.

Anyhow, at least I supported your contention, eh?

Bubble screens to Vberg. Very low risk, way to break in a new QB. Those receptions will add up

I neglected to clearly read the latter part of your comment. True to your contention, you claimed that others have mentioned the trend of Iowa's QBs having great years as first year starters and then declining ... but you went on to say that that was not the norm. My apologies for my misinterpretation of your post.

Anyhow, at least I supported your contention, eh?
LOL true that. You had me thinking that I completely said the opposite as I meant to say and really wanted to post all the stats to back up my claim (you know like evidence)-but was not feeling much like a go-getter today.....none the less you went on to do that for me.....all and all it worked out for the best

Bubble screens to Vberg. Very low risk, way to break in a new QB. Those receptions will add up
I can only hope we start getting back to the old jailbreak screens KOK was famous (infamous in some cases?) for.

Would be a welcome sight instead of seeing 30 yard sideline passes constantly.

Almost all foot breaks become chronic I also have an eery feeling I was able to meet him at the cedar county fair Tucker beathard was singing , he's such a nice kid.

I broke that same bone twice in one year myself. They can be "healed" in 6 months but it takes years to fully heal.

Iowa shouldn't need to throw the football a lot.A very good running game and good D. Will win most games.If Vandy stays healthy all year and gets 30-40 catches I think Iowa record will be very good I see lots of throws to backs and TE's too.

I want to see a ton of play action this year instead of running right into 8 man fronts

I broke that same bone twice in one year myself. They can be "healed" in 6 months but it takes years to fully heal.
Unfortunately it is the vascular supply to the bone that is the wild card. Hopefully it goes well for him.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I bet Chuck Hartlieb attempted quite a few passes against Indiana in 1986 (or was it 1987) when he had 600+ yards, or at least I think he had 600+ yards in that loss.

Per wiki, "Perhaps his greatest performance came on October 29, 1988, against Indiana. Hartlieb completed 44 of 60 pass attempts for 558 yards in a losing effort."

Reactions: Pepperman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT