ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson signs w/ team in Poland; in Feb signed multi-year deal with the WNBA's Dallas Wings

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
July 24th Update:

Original
Megan Gustafson signs multiyear deal with Dallas Wings

Former Hawkeye will return to WNBA this summer

Monday, February 10, 2020

Dallas -- The Dallas Wings announced Monday they have re-signed former Iowa standout Megan Gustafson to a multiyear deal.

Gustafson, the No. 17 overall pick in 2019, averaged 2.9 points and 2.5 rebounds with the Wings last year. She averaged 9.5 minutes per game.

“Megan is a tireless worker who is constantly putting in the time to improve her game,” Dallas Wings President & CEO Greg Bibb said in a release. “I look forward to her return from a very strong overseas season and to see how she has enhanced her game ahead of the upcoming summer.”

Gustafson is averaging 16.3 points and 7.3 rebounds for NKE-Csata in Hungary.

“I am very excited to come back to Dallas,” Gustafson said in the release. “I developed and learned so much last season. Currently I am working hard to implement everything, and I have gained confidence during my time overseas.

“I am comfortable with the team and coaches, and I feel an extra motivation this upcoming year to prove myself. I believe that I’m meant to be with this program and I’m looking forward to this summer.”

Dallas Coach Brian Agler said he is excited to have Gustafson back.

“I know she will give a great effort to earn a spot,” he said. “She’s turning into a true professional as we are monitoring her play in Hungry.”

Gustafson returned to Iowa for a weekend in January for a jersey retirement ceremony after the Hawkeyes' game against Michigan State.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, are the WNBA and 'Euro league' schedules different enough that she can compete in both?
Yes, I believe this is planned due to the relatively lower salaries of the WNBA vs NBA. I remember reading an article in either ESPN or Sports Illustrated that detailed several instances of players needing to play both to make a comfortable living. I do think that conditions have improved, if I remember right there was just an agreement that will raise salaries throughout WNBA, and especially for the stars.

Do they release salary info like the NBA does? Knowing next to nothing about the WNBA... I googled and looks like the average is 130k.

They redid their CBA and while there is quite a bit more money going to the players, a lot of that is being allocated to their star players in an effort to have them make the WNBA a priority over their overseas teams. League minimum for someone with Megan's experience is $57,000.

Do they release salary info like the NBA does? Knowing next to nothing about the WNBA... I googled and looks like the average is 130k.

Good for Megan. Getting paid to play the game you love is awesome

From the official announcement from the Dallas Wings:

The Dallas Wings announced the re-signing of Moriah Jefferson and Megan Gustafson today. Jefferson and Gustafson each signed multi-year deals.

Imani McGee-Stafford, Karlie Samuelson and Morgan Bertsch also signed with the club.

Per club policy, terms of the agreements for these 5 players have not been disclosed.

LINK to Full Story: https://wings.wnba.com/news/dallas-wings-sign-jefferson-gustafson-to-multi-year-deals/

Last edited:
They redid their CBA and while there is quite a bit more money going to the players, a lot of that is being allocated to their star players in an effort to have them make the WNBA a priority over their overseas teams. League minimum for someone with Megan's experience is $57,000.

Could do worse for a salary right out of college.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
I remember reading recently about the new WNBA agreement and how the league is trying to up it’s salaries. The season is played over the summer, while the Euro leagues are off-their schedule is fall through spring. The article ( that I can’t find to link) discussed how Brittany Greiner earns around $1.5 million playing for the Moscow pro team but less than $200k in the WNBA. More prestige and $ overseas, which the WNBA is trying to change

Playing professionally year round means some torn ACLs, etc on the horizon.
Depends on how long that goes on. Yes the wear and tear can catch up to you if you do not take care of yourself, but I don't know that pro careers for women last that long anyway.

Even playing so many months out of the year, it isn't like they're most NFL RBs who are burned out after 5-6 years, if that......

I will watch Megan this afternoon.
Megan officially played a minute? what is up w/ that?

i watched the 1st half and when Megan didn't get in the game I gave up on her playing

Don't get me wrong because Ogunbowale is a talent but she continues to put up way too many shots. She shot 33% (7/21) from the field while the rest of the team shot 47% (27/57). And the result? Another Dallas loss.

Megan officially played a minute? what is up w/ that?

i watched the 1st half and when Megan didn't get in the game I gave up on her playing

Don't get me wrong because Ogunbowale is a talent but she continues to put up way too many shots. She shot 33% (7/21) from the field while the rest of the team shot 47% (27/57). And the result? Another Dallas loss.

Megan's minute was in the first half, like 4-5 minutes into the game. Weird.

Ogunbowale needs to shoot a lot for this team to win, and she started last season being very inefficient as well, so hopefully she can find what worked in the 2nd half of last season soon....with only 22 games not a lot of room for error.

Megan's minute was in the first half, like 4-5 minutes into the game. Weird.

Ogunbowale needs to shoot a lot for this team to win, and she started last season being very inefficient as well, so hopefully she can find what worked in the 2nd half of last season soon....with only 22 games not a lot of room for error.
I just double-checked because I didn’t remember her playing either and it looks like the box score/play by play is wrong, because Sabally never left the game when it said she did and Megan was definitely never in there. So I’m guessing she never got in.

I just double-checked because I didn’t remember her playing either and it looks like the box score/play by play is wrong, because Sabally never left the game when it said she did and Megan was definitely never in there. So I’m guessing she never got in.

That would make more sense than a 34 second shift for Megan.

I watched the game. I am not impressed with the Wings coach. seems to not make in game adjustments. His team was tired at the end. Don't understand why Megan wouldn't get in for a little bit. Without their fatigue I think the Wings could have pulled out the win as they cut the lead to 2 late.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT