ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson

First WNBA career double double! Her defense may be lacking but the offensive game has really taken a step forward this season compared to what she showed in her first three seasons.

She just needs more minutes & more opportunities

what sucks is that there are only 12 teams x 12 roster spots = 144 total jobs and each year the 12 teams bring in a 1st round pick that likely makes each roster

She just needs more minutes & more opportunities

what sucks is that there are only 12 teams x 12 roster spots = 144 total jobs and each year the 12 teams bring in a 1st round pick that likely makes each roster
This is said a lot, but in practice more teams have been carrying 11 players than 12 under the most recent collective bargaining agreement

• Sad
Reactions: Franisdaman
Was that Megan's first ever technical? Probably not. Probably her most deserved one though! :)

Was that Megan's first ever technical? Probably not. Probably her most deserved one though! :)
Technically, it was a Flagrant 1 (WNBA might have a different term).
I might have seen her get kicked out of one of her Euroleague games that I was watching live on YouTube. Hard to tell without announcers. She never returned to the game after a bad foul call against her (and free throw(s) were shot with the lane cleared), and I didn't think she was in foul trouble.

I thought the call could go as it did or I thought it could just be a regular foul, as did the announcers.

Not commenting on my feelings towards Megan, lol, but she's definitely lost some weight at the pro level, like Luka. She's expanded her game and moves around the court a lot quicker and actually regularly takes 3s now. Never had to do that at Iowa because she was getting a bucket 75% of the time she caught the ball near the hoop.

Like Luka, I'm sure the reasoning is to play to her strengths. Both were never going to be major defenders at the next level or dominate the post offensively like they did in college. But they can be mismatches for bruising bigs who are forced to defend all over the court

Reactions: natchrlman
Gustafson was very good at getting defensive rebounds and blocked some shots while in college. If she's above average in those areas at the professional level, then she is still an asset on defense.

Reactions: undersized_post
She has completely altered her game, lost some weight and became very agile and quicker. She is a knock down 3 point shooter which she didn't do at Iowa. Amazing she was able to do that. Must have taken a great deal of work.

She has completely altered her game, lost some weight and became very agile and quicker. She is a knock down 3 point shooter which she didn't do at Iowa. Amazing she was able to do that. Must have taken a great deal of work.

Imagine what she would do if she were back at Iowa 😮

Gustafson was very good at getting defensive rebounds and blocked some shots while in college. If she's above average in those areas at the professional level, then she is still an asset on defense.
She's better at these things overseas but post defense in the WNBA is just a whole different beast. To her credit she did make notable progress on the defensive end of the court this season with the Mercury, more so than her first three seasons with the Wings and Mystics in my opinion.

Do we have any other Iowa women playing overseas? Anyone know which of the men are over there?

Went through the Euroleague women’s rosters. Megan is the only Iowa grad listed. Rosters seem to limit teams to 2 Americans max.

Looked at the Turkish League rosters. Kathleen not listed. Looks like the league limits teams to one non Turkish player per team

The rule is 2 Americans (non-European) players per roster. However many players have/get dual passports to get around that rule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT