ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson

Terrykohawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2018
Megan was waived by Washington on April 27. Cleared waivers on the 30th. Apparently is a free agent now. Disappointing.

Megan was waived by Washington on April 27. Cleared waivers on the 30th. Apparently is a free agent now. Disappointing.
Crazy world some of these players live. G League, overseas … maybe a short NBA-WNBA contract… get cut…. Get brought back… back to unemployment line… Makes you realize how good the full-timers are who make the NBA/WNBA rosters.

Feel bad for her. She has worked so hard and been nothing other than a great teammate. She certainly deserves a spot in the WNBA.

Yeah seems like something's going on here

Why does she deserve a spot in the WNBA? Either she’s good enough or not.

I am no expert but, I wonder if her game, (which worked tremendously in college), translates well to the pro game?

Clearly not

Bingo, that's what I meant by something is going on. Seems they don't want the white gal to succeed...there I said it

I actually agree with you.
Guys, it appears to be much less a conspiracy than that. It was reported, the day before she was cut, that she was still dealing with an undisclosed injury. Megan also had made a cryptic mention of it being a longer term thing that previously anticipated. Certainly makes the decision for the Mystics easier for a bench player. Bit ironic, as injuries are what led her to earn the year’s contract last season...

Last edited:
It is EXTREMELY difficult to make it in the WNBA right now with such a few number of teams and roster spots. The problem for Megan is that players at her potential positions are more athletic and either perimeter-oriented or much taller. I do think she'd be able to score if she was given minutes but she's also a below average defender at that level. If the roster sizes were 13-15 players instead of 12 (sometimes 11 in certain instances) she'd have a much better chance of making a team.

When I saw their roster with Megan, it is great news she was signed this afternoon. But a training camp contract? Final rosters are due to be announced tomorrow with the season starting Friday. I question Rachel's wording on this and her prediction the 4 released Sky players will be resigned with their limited spots too. Regardless, way to go Megan! Kathleen Doyle still on the Sky roster, for now.

Last edited:
Led the team in scoring Jr and Sr year, offensive player of the year both years. Led conference in fg % Jr year. All as you were sucking your mama's titty
If this is true you should know the reason she’s not playing is not because they won’t pass her the ball. She was a great college player and might eventually catch on. It’s not because they’re freezing her out. JFC.

Reactions: HocDawk
Bingo, that's what I meant by something is going on. Seems they don't want the white gal to succeed...there I said it
You know that there is no such thing as reverse racism right? The media and pundits tell us that every day. What the hell is wrong with you??
Only whites can be racist!! :rolleyes:
Race, race, racist, racist, race, race. Politicians are full on. Lol
How fing dumb must one be to not see the manipulation by the politicians and media?

Last edited:
If this is true you should know the reason she’s not playing is not because they won’t pass her the ball. She was a great college player and might eventually catch on. It’s not because they’re freezing her out. JFC.

Exactly how do you know this? I'm sorry to tell you this but there is a lot of stuff going on that we know nothing about. I'd bet my life on it

You know that there is no such thing as reverse racism right? The media and pundits tell us that every day. What the hell is wrong with you??
Only whites can be racist!! :rolleyes:
Race, race, racist, racist, race, race. Politicians are full on. Lol
How fing dumb must one be to not see the manipulation by the politicians and media?

Exactly. Unfortunately people like littlez believes this. I'm sure he worships cnn/msnbc and the like

Reactions: Sett1997
When I saw their roster with Megan, it is great news she was signed this afternoon. But a training camp contract? Final rosters are due to be announced tomorrow with the season starting Friday. I question Rachel's wording on this and her prediction the 4 released Sky players will be resigned with their limited spots too. Regardless, way to go Megan! Kathleen Doyle still on the Sky roster, for now.
Rachel typically knows her stuff...

My understanding is that, at this point in the season, "training camp contract" is synonymous with "unprotected minimum salary contract." Teams typically invite a slew of players to training camps on said "training camp contracts" who then get waived closer to opening day. The fact that we are just 2 nights away from opening day leads me to believe that the Mercery wouldn't bother bringing Megan in if they weren't like at least 98.5% sure they'd be keeping at least until opening day. Because otherwise... why bother? So yes, she's technically on a training camp contract until Friday, at which point it will automatically become an unprotected minimum contract, assuming she isn't waived before then.

Re: Doyle. It's great news that she's lasted this long without being cut! The Sky had 22 players on training camp contracts at one point. Working in Doyle's favor might be the fact that Julie Allemand -- the superstar Belgian point guard -- will be playing oversees until mid June, at which point she plans to come join the Sky. Doyle might survive as sort of a stand-in (no disrespect intended) for Allemand until she arrives. Of course, if Kathleen continues to impress, she might earn her keep and force them to cut someone else. Rachel's prediction that some of the recently waived players might get resigned is because the Sky have multiple players who are still oversees/injured. When a team has less than 10 players available, they can sign people to 7 day "hardship" contracts. This is what Megan did Washington last year. She got the maximum of three 7 day "hardship" contracts before they issued her a "rest of season contract."

The W is one of the most confusing leagues to follow with all of these logistics, especially when you're rooting for fringe players who are constantly getting sent around from team to team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT