ADVERTISEMENT

Mejia?

herkcy

HR All-State
Nov 7, 2002
Is he going to, or has he gotten in to Iowa? I would assume it wouldn't have been announced publicly if he couldn't get in, but then again it was announced that he had gotten in to IL. Regardless, I would think it would be done one way, or another by now. Others are claiming 133 is a need weight.

Not sure on his admissions status but if he isn't admitted this year I think he will still come. My guess is that he will greyshirt and get qualified academically by taking part time classes at a juco and then enroll next year.

I feel like the fact that we haven't heard anything means that there are still issues being worked out. Maybe they're in the appeal process and thus no statements can be made.

Not sure on his admissions status but if he isn't admitted this year I think he will still come. My guess is that he will greyshirt and get qualified academically by taking part time classes at a juco and then enroll next year.
IF he's qualified, he could take classes at a JUCO to pass admissions hurdles. Have no idea if this is the case, but guessing it's not.

If he's NOT qualified (more likely given the chatter about the English class and also taking summer classes), he has two options:
1) Prep and try to repeat courses to try to raise GPA, and retake SAT/ACT scores. Generally this is only advisable if you are very, very close as your GPA doesn't move much after 4 years of classes and usually kids have already taken the tests multiple times. If Mejia is just a course away here, which may be the case here with the chatter about the English class, this could be his path.
2) Go to a JUCO and complete two years worth of credits

I understand that your statement could well be #1 in the NOT qualified, as taking classes at a CC or a JC is acceptable for consideration with your HS transcript, but just trying to clarify because your statement is likely to be read the wrong way by people not familiar with NCAA guidelines.

IF he's qualified, he could take classes at a JUCO to pass admissions hurdles. Have no idea if this is the case, but guessing it's not.

If he's NOT qualified (more likely given the chatter about the English class and also taking summer classes), he has two options:
1) Prep and try to repeat courses to try to raise GPA, and retake SAT/ACT scores. Generally this is only advisable if you are very, very close as your GPA doesn't move much after 4 years of classes and usually kids have already taken the tests multiple times. If Mejia is just a course away here, which may be the case here with the chatter about the English class, this could be his path.
2) Go to a JUCO and complete two years worth of credits

I understand that your statement could well be #1 in the NOT qualified, as taking classes at a CC or a JC is acceptable for consideration with your HS transcript, but just trying to clarify because your statement is likely to be read the wrong way by people not familiar with NCAA guidelines.

diceman is more or less correct here. If he doesn't meet NCAA qualifications, he can't just take a couple JC classes and be good to go. He has to get his AA.

Reactions: andegre
diceman is more or less correct here. If he doesn't meet NCAA qualifications, he can't just take a couple JC classes and be good to go. He has to get his AA.
Yes, but if he's really, really close he could take a class at a CC and get qualified. I believe one is now the maximum after HS graduation. If you get an A, it replaces the course you are repeating from HS (again, you have to be really, really close to go down this road). I don't think this is the avenue that John Basedow was referring to, but acknowledged it was possible above.

For all intents and purposes though, if he's not qualified at this time it's most likely an issue that's going to keep him out of D1 for two years.

To my knowledge (which isn't saying much!), this isn't a eligibility/clearinghouse issue but if it is then yes he would need to go two years at Juco.

My post is under the impression this is an admissions issue.

To my knowledge (which isn't saying much!), this isn't a eligibility/clearinghouse issue but if it is then yes he would need to go two years at Juco.

I find it unlikely that he has passed the clearinghouse, but unable to get into Iowa or Illinois.

Reactions: dicemen99

Well, there has been a lot of conflicting information around, including Mejia's tweet about an admission's slip-up. Which doesn't look all that forthcoming after reports now that he also didn't get in to Iowa.

If it was strictly an admissions thing, you would think that it would be more about test scores. But then this conflicts with reports about taking a core course (English) over the summer. One course generally isn't going to make a huge difference in terms of admissions, unless of course he retook it and flunked it - and then I wouldn't know what to make of that in terms of his future in D1.

I have heard the words "If you are NCAA eligible, we will get you through admissions" directly from the mouth of a B1G wrestling coach. Not sure how that applies at Iowa, but the admissions standard for the general student at that school are at least as good as Iowa's. Now when it comes to using an admissions "card" that isn't really relevant and can vary according to athletic department and/or desirability of the athlete, but you would think that Mejia would be pretty desirable to Iowa.

This might sound racist but I thought I saw him at Hyvee in Coralville last week until I realized it was Jessie Delgado.

Reactions: rustynailhawk
This might sound racist but I thought I saw him at Hyvee in Coralville last week until I realized it was Jessie Delgado.
Not racist at all to confuse two people based on looks. Happens all the time. Although Delgado is a leaner body type while Mejia is a bit shorter and more muscular. I'm not sure but based on that I assume Delgado probably prefers his tacos with steak and Mejia is more of a chorizo kinda guy.

And yes, I like chicken.

Not racist at all to confuse two people based on looks. Happens all the time. Although Delgado is a leaner body type while Mejia is a bit shorter and more muscular. I'm not sure but based on that I assume Delgado probably prefers his tacos with steak and Mejia is more of a chorizo kinda guy.

And yes, I like chicken.
Fried I assume.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM

And yes, I like chicken.

I remember hearing the "Fried Chicken and Watermelon" thing as a kid. Then I would think to myself in my kid head, "Why's that funny? I love fried chicken and watermelon....everybody does" For the record, I love me a chorizo breakfast burrito with potatoes and eggs (with cholula, not tapatio...sorry Jesse) and carne asada tacos...can't find any decent places up here.

I remember hearing the "Fried Chicken and Watermelon" thing as a kid. Then I would think to myself in my kid head, "Why's that funny? I love fried chicken and watermelon....everybody does" For the record, I love me a chorizo breakfast burrito with potatoes and eggs (with cholula, not tapatio...sorry Jesse) and carne asada tacos...can't find any decent places up here.

La Regia (in Iowa City) used to be a pretty good taqueria, but I feel like quality has dropped the last couple of times I've been there.

Reactions: IAChief32

And yes, I like chicken.

Haha, you are the man. Love what you bring to the board. You'd think you were a hawk fan

Damn making me hungry Chief. I have already established my love for good tequilas, but I lived in Mexico for a year during college. Traditional Mexican food, wow.

One of my favorite dishes was/is chilaquiles. Eat til I get sick to my stomach

Reactions: IAChief32

Pancheros bruh

I'm being critical here... I watched the Desanto match and I watched the state finals match (kid was tough, going to Fresno st) but he has a LONG way to go for our 133 pd standards. Thrilled to have him, even if it takes some time. He seemed very defense and pretty good at it. Reminded me of Delgado a decent amount .. if he ends up like him, I'll take it.

Try La Regia Taqueria for more "authentic" tacos. They have a nice variety,

http://www.laregiaia.com/

EDIT: Just saw someone posted this earlier...

Do love me a good rub, but can anyone give me a better analysis of him? And I'm not talking about Toggs he/she sister. ... I know he has to have some good wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT