ADVERTISEMENT

Mekhi Sargent emerging as Option#1 at RB!

Was Taylor better than Hooker last year? How many games did Taylor start only to get pulled for Hooker after Taylor whiffed a tackle or was out of position on coverage?
Not flaming on KF but he has always valued experience and knowledge over athletic ability.
No coach is better known for playing young guys over older guys more than Phil Parker. Thus, it makes it all the more ironic that you're barking up this particular tree.

Kirk's prints would be more on the selection of the QB and O-linemen.

Once Phil put Hooker on the field ahead of Gervase last year ... nobody knocked Hooker off the field other than injury. Thus, there wasn't an occasion where Taylor was playing ahead of Hooker. Even when Snyder came in for the Illinois game ... Hooker still played a ton.

Was Taylor better than Hooker last year? How many games did Taylor start only to get pulled for Hooker after Taylor whiffed a tackle or was out of position on coverage?
Not flaming on KF but he has always valued experience and knowledge over athletic ability.
An example of this would be Gervase starting over Stone. Is Stone a better athlete, yes. But Stone has said he is still learning his responsibilities. Gervase has been in the system four years and will rarely be out of position. You make a mistake at safety and it is usually a touchdown. I trust the coaches on this. Stone will play plenty and his time is coming. And Iowa has a nice tradition of walk on safeties.

I understand OP now and certainly don't have a problem with allowing folks to share their opinions regardless of whether I agree.

I responded because of the way the OP spoke on the topic and misinterpreted that to mean that he was speaking with inside info. Having inside info myself, there is no truth to the assertion that Sargent is RB1 and I simply thought that some people might be interested in that information in a thread pretty strongly stating that assertion. Could he earn the job? Sure. Anything wrong with thinking he will? Of course not.

Read the title and OP again. I would have expected language that made it clear that this was simple speculation. Thats been revealed now, fine, I genuinely don't understand the big deal. For those that seem to suggest making a post like the OP is fine but nobody else is entitled to respond or refute that stated opinion... why? I can promise you that I'm calm. Sheesh, football can't start soon enough.

Coaches may not have Sargent with the 1's. I'm fine with that right now. I believe his performance thus far and future performances will make him the top guy. This is what I mean by emerging. It is my insight on the RB situation and I believe I am right. I recall coaches saying that Mekhi has a bit of a physical and mental jump on IKM and Young. Significant words in my mind. We will see what transpires over the next 2 weeks of practice and then in games. Emerging does not means that he is showing his skills and capabilities and proving his right to be the guy. I don't know how long it will take, but I believe he will be #1.

I understand OP now and certainly don't have a problem with allowing folks to share their opinions regardless of whether I agree.

I responded because of the way the OP spoke on the topic and misinterpreted that to mean that he was speaking with inside info. Having inside info myself, there is no truth to the assertion that Sargent is RB1 and I simply thought that some people might be interested in that information in a thread pretty strongly stating that assertion. Could he earn the job? Sure. Anything wrong with thinking he will? Of course not.

Read the title and OP again. I would have expected language that made it clear that this was simple speculation. Thats been revealed now, fine, I genuinely don't understand the big deal. For those that seem to suggest making a post like the OP is fine but nobody else is entitled to respond or refute that stated opinion... why? I can promise you that I'm calm. Sheesh, football can't start soon enough.
Thank you for your contributions to the thread and your inside info. I do appreciate it. I actuallly like the substance and discourse that this thread has brought out. I'm interested in insight on KF and staff and how they operate. Like I've said I am not an expert, however that does not preclude me from making a strong assertion about one of our players. You have a literal interpretation of my thread title and postings. My approach is to consider the future and look at current body of work, which though admittedly is a small sample, is a foreshadowing of good things to come for Mekhi. Should not have assumed that I was sitting at the roundtable in the football complex gathering first hand intel on the subject.

I can’t speak about punting, but I can speak about placekicking. When it comes to FG at Iowa, every kick is taped, and judged as a make or miss by a grad assistant standing under the goal posts. The kickers are evaluated based on #successful tries versus total # of attempts. “Style”, meaning was it a “good miss” or a “bad miss” doesn’t count. I can’t think of a more objective method of analysis.

My bad. I said subjective when I was trying to say objective. I totally agree with you about the evaluation of kickers lending itself to being highy objective.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman

I just want the best guy(s) to play at RB. It is neither newsworthy nor un-newsworthy to me who has the rock unless he reaches Shonn Greene status. My mindset is we've had better, we've had worse. The value to me in this thread is in who plays and why and that line above concerning what the coach values. That reply addresses a key point to anyone thinking any decent coach plays "favorites". I will cross over to basketball for a moment to get off KF. It's pretty easy for me to say in a contested battle for a position, "that guy starts" if he can shoot best. I know the 80s romantics will want a defender who is a team player, etc. But, I know this and know it from close up: if your players can't shoot, your X's and o's are irrelevant. You can improve shooting for sure. But, a true shooter is gifted. Truly. So, I may favor a good shooter who gets beat to the bucket without helpside on occasion while someone who values defense and role play more will think I am not playing the right guy...that I have a favorite. "Can't he see that guy can't guard?" And, you're damn right I do: shooting! But, what's happening is values. Someone out there is trying to win, 30-28. More power to them. But, I'm gonna coach the hell out of defense for that guy, and though my guy gives up 8+ more a game, he scores 15 AND opens up space for others to score. See? That's what I value and how I learned to.

So, KF...you got to ask yourself, "Why does he/they value being in the right spot over athleticism (if that's someone's contention)?" and the answer is pretty simple: they've lost games with guys not doing what they are supposed to. Get hit with that stick often enough, and you learn to choose a different guy. I am not well versed enough in situations like Taylor and Hooker though. It looked like Hooker was "better" in splashy moments, but watch some film - as the fella says: film don't lie. I don't think you'd find it unusual to see him out of place early last year at least. However, some guys are just gamers. If you value practice, then...

Reactions: cmhawks99
I like how he has been in a ton of photos. No matter what, I like how the load will be spread out and BF will get to use a "hot hand". For Toren, it is one thing to be big and strong and another to be big,strong, and fresh.
Agree 100% ... Options are always good. And I think as the season progresses one of the 3 will emerge even more ...

Coaches may not have Sargent with the 1's. I'm fine with that right now. I believe his performance thus far and future performances will make him the top guy. This is what I mean by emerging. It is my insight on the RB situation and I believe I am right. I recall coaches saying that Mekhi has a bit of a physical and mental jump on IKM and Young. Significant words in my mind. We will see what transpires over the next 2 weeks of practice and then in games. Emerging does not means that he is showing his skills and capabilities and proving his right to be the guy. I don't know how long it will take, but I believe he will be #1.

They did not say this.

You made the assertion that he said it. Not me. I don't remember reading that in any interview or transcript.
You asked for a link, I'm telling you to find it yourself. Something was said about Mekhi's mental and physical maturity being further along. I thought that was in comparison to the other 2 backs.

You asked for a link, I'm telling you to find it yourself. Something was said about Mekhi's mental and physical maturity being further along. I thought that was in comparison to the other 2 backs.

Yeah , I know what you are telling me but you have to be able to back it up. If I say, I believe KF said that Sargent is the best back he has ever coached, I need to be able to show where he said that. Otherwise it is just making stuff up which it appears you are doing since you can't say where it came from and now you are wavering on your claim.
When was this said? Did you read it somewhere? Where?
I do know that KF said specifically after kids day that the last two days he was starting to heat up and mentioned that before he was still trying to understand the offense, etc. BF said that Sargent was physical even though he was shorter. But nowhere have I seen them say Sargent was ahead of either of them physically or mentally.

Note: I like the kid and think all three will play.

The backing up of your statement falls on other posters? Interesting approach.
Sure is. Go ahead and ponder it the rest of the week. I'm not waivering or concerned if someone questions it. I don't feel like going back through all the videos to find the statement. Just because someone asks for a link doesn't mean I'm obligated or accountable to them to go find it. They can do it.

Sure is. Go ahead and ponder it the rest of the week. I'm not waivering or concerned if someone questions it. I don't feel like going back through all the videos to find the statement. Just because someone asks for a link doesn't mean I'm obligated or accountable to them to go find it. They can do it.

Doesn't matter to me if you do or don't. Much the same as you probably don't care that it makes me look at your posting as less credible than I previously did.
"Foster says he is tough, smart, and physical, the prerequisites to becoming a successful Hawkeye." This is the only quote I could find in a search for the information.

Reactions: pkongsh
So you're saying he has issues in these areas or just a pat excuse your regurgitating cuz you've heard it so often from brownshirts??
Not saying he has issues at all, just that those skills are the hardest for a young back to pick up and do consistantly, down after down when the lights are on. He may well become an every down back early, we will see.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Something to that effect was said about Mekhi by KF.
No ... what Kirk had said was that not long before the given interview, that Mekhi had made a jump in the level of his own play. This is understandable, because Mekhi didn't know the O before hand ... so there was a lot for him to learn before he could truly play fast within Iowa's system. Ferentz was suggesting that Mekhi was really starting to put things together ... and they were really then starting to see nice things from him. In terms of time-line ... this was occurring just a little bit before the open scrimmage.

What's important to note is that Kirk WAS NOT making a comparison between Mekhi and the other two. Rather, he was comparing Mekhi's play to his prior play. Given that Mekhi had seen so many quality reps at Iowa Western ... it's understandable that he'd have a nice jump in his play as he got more familiar/comfortable with Iowa's offensive system.

BF said in interview today that IKM would be out there if they played today. Not surprising as IKM is very good. I still think Sargent is coming on stronger each day and will prove to be a contender for the #1 spot. I truly believe Sargent is #1 material. Seems like their is not a ton of separation with the RB's at least with what BF is saying.

And here you have it folks. I just thought I would go ahead and resurrect this pre-season, 3 month old thread and confirm my insight that indeed Sargent is our best option at the RB position. Running game has had its ups and downs this season, but in these last 2 games Mekhi has shown his abilities off well. Impressive day today for him and he has had some very nice plays in the pass game as well throughout the season.

To end the regular season, Sargent has run for 748 yards and 9 tds to lead the team. Caught 16 balls for 152 yards and a td on the season too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
And here you have it folks. I just thought I would go ahead and resurrect this pre-season, 3 month old thread and confirm my insight that indeed Sargent is our best option at the RB position. Running game has had its ups and downs this season, but in these last 2 games Mekhi has shown his abilities off well. Impressive day today for him and he has had some very nice plays in the pass game as well throughout the season.
Don't care one way or another, and I do like Sargent, but your implication was not that it would take 10 weeks to establish him as the best back. I think the posting of the reminder is at the least unnecessary (possibly childish at the other end of the spectrum) more than disagreeing with you. However, Young has consistently been the better, harder runner most of the season. He doesn't offer much in the pass game though. Honestly, I think they're all pretty average.

On a related note, I sure hope Sargent - who has taken 10 weeks to establish himself as maybe a little better than the rest of the backs is truly a better bet than some other rb recruits we apparently passed on.

Don't care one way or another, and I do like Sargent, but your implication was not that it would take 10 weeks to establish him as the best back. I think the posting of the reminder is at the least unnecessary (possibly childish at the other end of the spectrum) more than disagreeing with you. However, Young has consistently been the better, harder runner most of the season. He doesn't offer much in the pass game though. Honestly, I think they're all pretty average.

On a related note, I sure hope Sargent - who has taken 10 weeks to establish himself as maybe a little better than the rest of the backs is truly a better bet than some other rb recruits we apparently passed on.
Obviously you care with this post. It took time to recognize and materialize but no question Sargent has emerged as the best. Pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about. I'd say with the limited action Sargent had 748 yds and 9 tds is actually above average, hence the reaffirmed conclusion that he is the #1.

Obviously you care with this post. It took time to recognize and materialize but no question Sargent has emerged as the best. Pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about. I'd say with the limited action Sargent had 748 yds and 9 tds is actually above average, hence the reaffirmed conclusion that he is the #1.
Unbunch panties. Lol. I mean to say I don't care who is the best back. I just want whoever it is to be successful. You, too? Or, is being perceived as "right" your motive?

As I said, I am not even necessarily disagreeing. I just would have taken time to relight the fire of the thread. I mean seriously, who cares? He looked good. Go Hawks!

I love how both sides are so sure "they" are right!! I for one would be surprised ......bottom line ...none of us know for sure....lets wait and see! By mid season we will now!!
The key here was "lets wait and see".......ya just never know!!

The key here was "lets wait and see".......ya just never know!!

I don't believe midsesason allowed any back to separate. I could look at starts, etc., But
I think it is bordering on petty to debate this further. Respect to all. Moving on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT