ADVERTISEMENT

Metcalf coaching high school wrestling this season

Good article, maybe he's done, maybe not. This HS job seems like something to get the lights on until his wife is done with grad school. Then I imagine it to a college program that will take him on staff. Unfortunately, I don't see that as Iowa, since the current staff doesn't appear to be moving on to something else anytime soon.

Thats a great sign that he is staying around IC and then when the time is right, just drive about 20 minutes south!

He could, but do u think HWC could match his current salary?
I don't know the finances of the HWC but it is highly doubtful. Terry made $153,000 last year. I don't believe there is a wrestling club in the country that could pay someone that salary. That is before you factor in benefits, which would likely push the cost closer to $175,000.

Last edited:
Good article, maybe he's done, maybe not. This HS job seems like something to get the lights on until his wife is done with grad school. Then I imagine it to a college program that will take him on staff. Unfortunately, I don't see that as Iowa, since the current staff doesn't appear to be moving on to something else anytime soon.

A normal high school assistant wrestling coach gets paid between $2,000 and $4,000 (unless he is getting money from outside the school system). You would think the HWC could match that to keep him in the Iowa room.

Reactions: Huck
A normal high school assistant wrestling coach gets paid between $2,000 and $4,000 (unless he is getting money from outside the school system). You would think the HWC could match that to keep him in the Iowa room.
I bet he will still be working out in the Iowa room.

Some lucky kids at Prairie!
You got that right! For a hs kid, it's like striking gold to have the opportunity train under Metcalf. Hey Brent, I'm pretty sure I could get you the same type of gig at my kids school here in PA..

Just throw in' it out there.... Lol

Lucky, lucky Prairie Hawks! I'm SO happy that Brent is coaching in C.R. Don't ya dare leave for some burg in P.A. ;) I'd like ALL the major coaching talent to work their way through C.R. David Taylor and Jayson Ness, come on over to Cedar Rapids.

BTW, I remember another coach in Cedar Rapids (C.R. Jefferson, 1967-68.) His name was Gary Kurdelmeier. Yeah, THAT Gary Kurdelmeier:
https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3804

Reactions: Jtownsteel
Awesome for those Prairie Hawks. I wonder how many kids are gonna open enroll over there.

pretty sure prairie has been closed to open enrollment for quite some time. they will have to move to the district if they want in.

I could see him staying there and eventually taking over as head coach...but only if the hunting company can make him a decent living.

Coach Thompson is extremely young and successful. Left a great program in Alburnette to take the job with Prairie. Doubt he has plans to leave any time soon.
Point taken, but this is Brent Metcalf. I don't doubt that he'll have a great time Coaching at Prairie or any other High School he wants to show up at. Obviously he isn't doing it for the money. He's essentially killing time until Mama is done with school and see what else his life is going to bring.

There is obviously more to Coaching than being great at your sport as an individual, but the odds of a Brent Metcalf being a Head Coach at a High School near you are zero. He has options, lots of them, and when the time comes, I'm certain he'll exercise those options.

He's the odds-on fan favorite to be the next Head Coach at Iowa, something he's probably aware of. I highly doubt he's sharpening his resume to put in for the Spirit Lake job if it opens up.

I know that Prairie has a great wrestling tradition (Davis, Zalesky, Zalesky, Rob Kramer), but I wonder what made Metcalf decide to go there.

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
I know that Prairie has a great wrestling tradition (Davis, Zalesky, Zalesky, Rob Kramer), but I wonder what made Metcalf decide to go there.

Wouldn't make too much of it...he's a volunteer coach and he probably is buds somehow with the current coach.

Metcalf and Kane Thompson share a mutual friend. It was that friend that suggested it to both

Reactions: wasdt21
I have a feeling Dennis might have had something to do with it. He was coaching high school kids in Cali and probably told Metcalf how rewarding it is. The opportunity presented itself and Brent jumped on it. Probably will be a one year thing til his wife graduates. After that who knows.

Where do I start.. Just because you may think he is the Odds-on "Fan" favorite to take over coaching the University of Iowa means he is actually not even on the list to take over at Iowa... remember he has ZERO coaching experience to date :) No, Dennis did not tell Metcalf how rewarding coaching H.S. kids is and that is why he decided to volunteer at Prairie. Thank you Sandor45 for reading the article and bringing some serious insight to the conversation. If anyone wants to donate 175k large to the HWC they should and I'm sure they would appreciate it! Then see if Tom makes Terry the Club coach and "Slides" Brent into a coaching role.. that would answer lots of these questions.

Where do I start.. Just because you may think he is the Odds-on "Fan" favorite to take over coaching the University of Iowa means he is actually not even on the list to take over at Iowa... remember he has ZERO coaching experience to date :) No, Dennis did not tell Metcalf how rewarding coaching H.S. kids is and that is why he decided to volunteer at Prairie. Thank you Sandor45 for reading the article and bringing some serious insight to the conversation. If anyone wants to donate 175k large to the HWC they should and I'm sure they would appreciate it! Then see if Tom makes Terry the Club coach and "Slides" Brent into a coaching role.. that would answer lots of these questions.

Try the decaf tomorrow.

I like Brent and think it's great he's doing this but does anyone know if he's even any good at coaching? There are a lot of great wrestlers who make terrible coaches. What makes everyone so sure he will walk in there and be a great coach?

Who are the great wrestlers that were terrible coaches at the high school level?

A guy with the pedigree and knowledge of Metcalf would be welcome in any wrestling room in the country.

I like Brent and think it's great he's doing this but does anyone know if he's even any good at coaching? There are a lot of great wrestlers who make terrible coaches. What makes everyone so sure he will walk in there and be a great coach?

He wrestled under a great high school coach. Great college coach in one of the best college's in the nation for it. High energy guy and intense. I think Brent can pretty much do what he wants concerning the sport of wrestling.

I would say Cliff Keen selling a series of technique videos by Brent Metcalf would be a positive indicator. He's done plenty of camps and clinics so he knows how to interact with kids below the college level. He's personable - I haven't met anyone that has actually talked with Brent that has said he's off putting.

He can connect with his athletes and he's pretty dang good when it comes to technique. I am not sure how he is as a recruiter (though this job doesn't require that from him), but I imagine after a little experience he would be just fine. He has plenty of good qualities that would make him a successful coach.

The only thing I have to say is "He won't be no Mike Ditka"!! Personally, I think Ditka could take him. I know that was 2 things I said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT