ADVERTISEMENT

**Mets at Braves official last day of regular season baseball **

jamesvanderwulf

HB Legend
Nov 27, 2015
People's Republic of Johnson County
Two stars since it's a double header...

What are the scenarios for each team to clinch a playoff spot?

Let's run through these:

1. The Mets win the first game, the Braves win the second game. The Braves are the No. 5 seed and head to the No. 4 San Diego Padres for a best-of-three wild-card series starting Tuesday. The Mets are the No. 6 seed and play the No. 3 Milwaukee Brewers. Yes, that means the Mets would have gone from Milwaukee on Sunday to Atlanta on Monday, and then back to Milwaukee on Tuesday. (The Braves would have to fly cross-country, but at least they were already in Atlanta.)

2. If the Braves win the first game and the Mets win the second, it's the same result. The Braves are the No. 5 seed and the Mets are the No. 6 seed.

3. The Mets win both games. New York is the No. 5 seed and plays the Padres. The Diamondbacks are the No. 6 seed and play the Brewers in a rematch of last year's wild-card series. The Mets travel from Milwaukee to Atlanta to San Diego. (They won't complain.)

4. The Braves win both games. Atlanta is the No. 5 seed and plays the Padres; the Diamondbacks are the No. 6 seed and play the Brewers.

Keep in mind that whichever team wins the first game of the doubleheader clinches a playoff spot. That will provide less incentive -- or, really, no incentive -- for that team to churn through its best relievers in the second game. Not with the first wild-card game on hand for Tuesday.

Mets have just scored 3 in the top of the 8th to tie the game at 3-3...

I hope they sweep just to exorcise the early 90's (and beyond) domination the Braves had over the Mets

Pulling for my secondary team, the Brewers, to face the Mets so this is so far so good.

BTW, last day of baseball regular season is lame compared to the last day of European soccer season. Sorry, but true OP.

Mets win, they're in! Now they can lay down and toss in the towel and the Braves get in too or they can go for the sweep and if successful the Diamond backs get in...
I hope my Braves win the 2nd game, just to be able to make the playoffs despite all the injuries they went through this season. They won't go far, and I fully expect the Padres to sweep. But truthfully, I'd rather see that happen to see them get bludgeoned by the Mets or the Phillies, the two teams, along with the Dodgers, I despise.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT