ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Michael Slater ready to go

Apr 8, 2003
Tom's Q&A with incoming freshman Michael Slater.

---

As Michael Slater prepares to graduate from high school, the Hawkeye defensive end takes time to look back nearly one year ago when the Iowa coaches moved him to his new position in a satellite camp in the St. Louis area. That move changed his recruitment and his college options. Slater talks about his training this spring, his bond with the Iowa coaches, and much more.

Q: What have you been doing this spring as far as athletics?

SLATER: I have been participating in track this spring at my high school, throwing the shot and discus.

Q: How have you done in those events this spring?

SLATER: I have done well this year. I broke the shot put and discus record at my school in a meet. I threw the shot 64.5 and 199 in the discus.

Q: What training have you been doing as far as football training?

SLATER: I was doing the Iowa training that the coaches sent me in the winter, but once track season started, I have been focused on that. We have a lot of meets, so I don't have a lot of time to do my football lifts.

Q: Did you feel like you benefited from the Iowa training program when you were doing it?

SLATER: Yeah, it helped me a lot. It is a real intense workout and I feel like I got stronger and faster doing it.

Q: You have been to Iowa City for spring practice. What were your thoughts on practice and what did you learn while you were watching?

SLATER: My initial thoughts were it was a whole different level. You are going against some great athletes and playing with some great athletes and it's very competitive. You could also see how close the guys on the team are to each other. I really noticed the bond between the teammates and the higher level of play on the field.

Q: Did you get to sit in on any meetings on your visits?

SLATER: I did that, but it was back on my official visit. I learned a lot in those meetings about how they prepare and learn in that environment.

Q: Your position coach will be Reese Morgan, who coaches the defensive line. What is your relationship like with him?

SLATER: We are very close. Every time I have gone up there we have had a number of long conversations. Even in a short period of time we have really bonded and I can't wait to play for him. He is an amazing coach.

Q: This incoming class of recruits seems really bonded with each other. Have you felt that when you are around those guys?

SLATER: Yeah I have. We get along with each other really well. One guy that I have gotten really close with is Eric Graham, the running back from Alabama. We were on our official visit together and we are going to be roommates when we get to Iowa. We really hit it off and I feel like we have a lot in common.

Q: There are St. Louis area guys already on the Iowa team. What advice have those guys given you as you get ready to arrive in Iowa City this summer?

SLATER: I talked to Jonathon Parker on the phone and he has told me to just be ready to come in and work and manage my time. He told me I have to just keep working hard and pay attention to everything, all the details.

Q: What is your weight at now and what do you want to be at this fall?

SLATER: I'm probably about 275 right now, but I want to get down to about 260/265 by the time we start camp.

Q: What do you want to accomplish this summer in Iowa City?

SLATER: I am ready to just focus on football and training to be a good football player. Basically, I am just ready to put in the work and get stronger and faster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News