ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Coach Jim Harbaugh Speaks at Anti-Abortion Event

Wow! Impressive!
Looks like a lot of “evangelical” congregations, too! (thems the worst ones...the Falwell / Baker followers!)
Methinks I recently counted like 24 congregations back home...for a population of about 11k.....but mine are more “mainstream” ;) than yours! RCA, Christian Reformed, we even have churches for Lutherans, Catholics and Methodists!
But hey, I’m impressed Ottumwa has more churches than meat Packers! When I was growing up, not sure that was the case.
I think at one point the bar to church ratio was 1:1. Now I am guessing it is 1:3

I'm not saying 20. I'm just pointing out the current statistics, and asking the question about what a compromise could be.

Just as I replied to you in another thread earlier this month, I don't know when a fetus becomes a baby. I do know it's some time before 30 weeks, and many people say 24 weeks.

For conversation's sake, if a fetus does become consistently viable earlier and earlier, wouldn't that mean they deserve protection earlier as well?

Do you advocate abortion being legal at any point until birth?
From a medical abstract originating from the UK who have significantly better infant mortality rates in the US, o I suspect the outcomes of a US study would be quite worse. Note that this collected data is now over 20 years old however.

Objective: To describe the outcome of labour, signs of life at birth, and duration of survival after delivery at 20–23 weeks gestation.

Design: An observational study using data from the Confidential Enquiry into Stillbirths and Deaths in Infancy 1995–2000.

Setting: All deliveries to mothers resident in Trent Health Region.

Patients: 1306 babies delivered at 20–23 weeks gestation.

Results: Termination of pregnancy accounted for 33% of deliveries at 20–23 weeks; these were excluded from further analysis. Spontaneous delivery occurred at a frequency of 2.5/1000 deliveries; 30% died before the onset of labour, 27% died during labour, and 35% showed signs of life at birth. Of the latter, 8% were not registered as statutory live births. Of the live born infants, the largest group (39%) had a heart beat but no other signs of life. There was no trend for infants of lower gestation to show fewer signs of life. Duration of survival varied widely (median 60 minutes at 20–22 weeks), and this did not increase with gestation until 23 weeks (median six hours), probably because of selective treatment. Survival curves are presented for each gestation group. At 23 weeks, 4.5% survived to 1 year of age; all were > 500 g birth weight. Below 23 weeks gestation, none survived, and 94% had died within 4 hours of age.

Conclusions:
This information on surviving labour, signs of life at birth, duration of survival, and birth weight at 20–23 weeks gestation should help decision making in the management of pre-viable delivery.

This is where you are 100% wrong. Pro Choice advocates are the group that will not compromise. None would accept laws that prohibit abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or the life of the mother. NONE. I know many pro-lifers who would support that compromise. The sad truth is that the vast majority of abortions are those done out of convenience. Almost every single one of those situations are preventable.

Reactions: Speedway1
This is where you are 100% wrong. Pro Choice advocates are the group that will not compromise. None would accept laws that prohibit abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or the life of the mother. NONE. I know many pro-lifers who would support that compromise. The sad truth is that the vast majority of abortions are those done out of convenience. Almost every single one of those situations are preventable.
Blubbering should be your name on here. Fits better.

If life begins at conception and I have 8 IVF embryos in the freezer, can I start claiming them as dependents? Maybe get some tax credits to pay for the storage fees?

ADVERTISEMENT