ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Punter: "That's football."

OnceAhawk

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2015
See, "that's football" is a very common thing to say....for both coaches and players....

From ESPN.com:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan's Blake O'Neill, the Australian-born punter whose bobble on the final play of Saturday's 27-23 loss capped the Wolverines' shocking defeat to Michigan State, says his instincts from his days playing Aussie Rules football kicked in after the initial snap got away from him.

"I tried to sort of kick it over my head, and that didn't work out," O'Neill said Tuesday from the team's practice facility.

"That's life."

"That's football. "

"You learn from it so you can do better and pick up yourself up, dust yourself and move on. We're sort of taught to pick up and move it on. Obviously, that's completely on me. I own this error and very much know better if I was to have my time over again."

In the Australian game, a closer relative to rugby than American football, players pass to their teammates by kicking and often do so with opponents in close proximity.

The graduate transfer described the past few days as "interesting," after his punt attempt in the final seconds ended up in the arms of a Michigan State defender, who returned it 38 yards for a game-winning touchdown.

The entire story:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...verines-cites-instincts-aussie-rules-football

Man, I feel sorry for that kid. Sounds like he does have a healthy perspective on the situation, though, unlike a segment of the Michigan fan base.

Would love to see him execute a game-winning fake punt or some such thing later this season for some measure of redemption. In any case, he seems to understand the proper perspective on the relative importance of college football much better than your average fan. Good for him.

How quickly we forget his 80 yd punt in the same game. I hope Jim lets him punt in the next game and he is able to get a job in Michigan if he wants one when he graduates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT