ADVERTISEMENT

*****Michigan vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Helluva coaching job by Fran. He found and played the hot hands. Sandfort and Dix.

Everyone who said in the first 35 minutes that we were playing bad defense can screw themselves. Fran took a calculated and smart move in shutting down Dickerson, giving up some outside shots. It worked. Michigan shot ungodly well or we would have won by 15.

Really impressive and nice to see game by Payton. We all knew he was too good of a shot to keep Missing. I’m impressed by his tenacity. He’s an underrated rebounder and passer as well. Just a complete player.

Who knew Josh Dix was a point? Good job young man, very poised and efficient. Love his game. I see a little Bobby Hansen in him. Very poised, no intimidation and he plays tough defense.

The Payton Sandfort who can fill it up and playing confident bball??

hes-back-wedding-crashers.gif
There's a lot more to PS's game than "filling it up", a lot more, say, defense, passing, & always in motion.
He's an all around player that demonstrates high bkball IQ on the floor & passion while on bench.

Helluva coaching job by Fran. He found and played the hot hands. Sandfort and Dix.

Everyone who said in the first 35 minutes that we were playing bad defense can screw themselves. Fran took a calculated and smart move in shutting down Dickerson, giving up some outside shots. It worked. Michigan shot ungodly well or we would have won by 15.

Really impressive and nice to see game by Payton. We all knew he was too good of a shot to keep Missing. I’m impressed by his tenacity. He’s an underrated rebounder and passer as well. Just a complete player.

Who knew Josh Dix was a point? Good job young man, very poised and efficient. Love his game. I see a little Bobby Hansen in him. Very poised, no intimidation and he plays tough defense.
so WRONG….
IOWA gives up 53% in 1st half and 56% in 2nd half….
that is by every definition really really bad defense…

so WRONG….
I tuned in with 3 minutes left in regulation. They played great d from then on.
Obviously not so much in the rest of the game based on stats and posts.
They tightened it up in the clutch though.

Reactions: KcTo and Bishop1971
which kept him out of further foul trouble and enabled him to be on the floor in the late going.
WRONG. you do know that every player gets 5 fouls….

the jail kept Rebraca OFF the court, that’s OFF the court, he was still able to play safely and aggressively with 3 fouls

Fortunately Sandfort saved Frans blunder in Rebraca usage tonight

I don't know if our D was bad the first half, or they shot out of their minds!
Wide open shots is an indication.

They played zone against Rutgers and got away with it, they didn't get away with it tonight they just managed to over come it.

WRONG. you do know that every player gets 5 fouls….

the jail kept Rebraca OFF the court, that’s OFF the court, he was still able to play safely and aggressively with 3 fouls

Fortunately Sandfort saved Frans blunder in Rebraca usage tonight
no RIGHT. you adjust, try to stay close so you have him down the stretch. he stays in and picks up another foul and now you are in major trouble late in the game. especially when micigan would have gone right at him to get that next foul. i do think it might have worked out ok…think we won.

• Haha
so WRONG….
You know, sometimes teams just get hot. I think when you are hitting shots from the mid court decal that’s a sign you’re hot. So every time Iowa shoots well it’s just bad defense?

• Wow
You know, sometimes teams just get hot. I think when you are hitting shots from the mid court decal that’s a sign you’re hot. So every time Iowa shoots well it’s just bad defense?
MoHawk, ask yourself why Iowa is last in defensive points per possession year after year, It’s a well established metric year after yr.

if you can answer that, you will see the last might Michigan scoring above their avg is the norm , not the exception vs Iowa.

no RIGHT. you adjust, try to stay close so you have him down the stretch. he stays in and picks up another foul and now you are in major trouble late in the game. especially when micigan would have gone right at him to get that next foul. i do think it might have worked out ok…think we won.
No, no, no definitely WRONG,

“he stays in and picks up another foul” WRONG, he did play the rest off game with out picking up another foul, therefore everything you say after that is also by Definition WRONG.

im very sorry to make that clear. What’s actually correct and right is that Rebraca did play the rest of his minutes clean, and still managed no fouls. This results in a significant reduction in his minutes played, and he’s IOWA best post player,

fran must be much better at managing IOWAs 2nd most productive asset. This unnecessary limitation of his PT is a blunder that was only obscured from view by an exceptionally rare event of a bench player scoring 24 points in 2 half.

I tuned in with 3 minutes left in regulation. They played great d from then on.
Obviously not so much in the rest of the game based on stats and posts.
They tightened it up in the clutch though.
The question that must therefore be asked is, why can’t the defense be played the 1st 37 minutes like the last 3?

why is it IOWA always seems to close hard at the end spurred by ferociously aggressive defense?

Ask yourself why is that?

“he stays in and picks up another foul” WRONG, he did play the rest off game with out picking up another foul, therefore everything you say after that is also by Definition WRONG.

im very sorry to make that clear. What’s actually correct and right is that Rebraca did play the rest of his minutes clean, and still managed no fouls. This results in a significant reduction in his minutes played, and he’s IOWA best post player,

fran must be much better at managing IOWAs 2nd most productive asset. This unnecessary limitation of his PT is a blunder that was only obscured from view by an exceptionally rare event of a bench player scoring 24 points in 2 half.

just an FYI. 9 out of 10 coaches take him out and let him rest in that situation. Michigan with out a doubt goes right at him if he stays in with that much time left. just because he doesnt pick up a foul after coming in fresh has no bearing to how things would have developed with so much more time left. with reduced time and only 3 fouls there was no need to play tentatively. it’s about michigan having a dominate center and how much time remained. was the right decision based on play when he returned.

• Haha
Reactions: KcTo
just an FYI. 9 out of 10 coaches take him out and let him rest in that situation. Michigan with out a doubt goes right at him if he stays in with that much time left. just because he doesnt pick up a foul after coming in fresh has no bearing to how things would have developed with so much more time left. with reduced time and only 3 fouls there was no need to play tentatively. it’s about michigan having a dominate center and how much time remained. was the right decision based on play when he returned.
Laughably wrong…
You are what your record says you are. -Bill Parcells

Rebraca ends up with only 3 fouls, clealry plays well offensively and defensively with 3 fouls,, Fran Sat his best player too many minutes. All facts And not conjecture.

in the absence of an incredibly rare and improbable 2nd half by Sandfort, which bails out IOWA and Frans benching, we’d be talking about why Fran sat his 2nd best player so long.

MoHawk, ask yourself why Iowa is last in defensive points per possession year after year, It’s a well established metric year after yr.

if you can answer that, you will see the last might Michigan scoring above their avg is the norm , not the exception vs Iowa.
I was judging the Michigan game, while you apparently were judging Frans entire 13 year tenure. Maybe you should not prejudge based upon past performance? I stand by my statement. Our defense wasn’t great, but it wasn’t terrible. Michigan got a little lucky from the 3.

Personally, after living through Lick I’d much rather watch the best offense in the Big with an average defense than the opposite. Fran ball is entertaining, he’s an offensive genius. You should enjoy him while you have him.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Laughably wrong…

Rebraca ends up with only 3 fouls, clealry plays well offensively and defensively with 3 fouls,, Fran Sat his best player too many minutes. All facts And not conjecture.

in the absence of an incredibly rare and improbable 2nd half by Sandfort, which bails out IOWA and Frans benching, we’d be talking about why Fran sat his 2nd best player so long.
ok, understand you just have never been there so don’t understand the need for fresh legs and that Michigan would have immediately taken advantage with so much time left.

Laughably wrong…

The simple and obvious answer is that Mulvey was playing well and not hurting us. The whole team was playing well. And I think most, if not all that time in the 2nd half, Dickinson was sitting.

• Wow
ok, understand you just have never been there so don’t understand the need for fresh legs and that Michigan would have immediately taken advantage with so much time left.
LOL, the old “ you’ve never been there so don’t understand” cliche, really…?
and neither have you so everything you say is invalid using the rationale, correct?

The simple and obvious answer is that Mulvey was playing well and not hurting us. The whole team was playing well. And I think most, if not all that time in the 2nd half, Dickinson was sitti
Mulvey was holding his own, but Iowa was -6 when he entered and -6 when he left in 2h, so one could argue that rebrac being iowas 2nd best player would have been a better option.
but I’m in agreement that sitting a guy that picks ups his 3rd foul in before 10 min mark in 2nd half is sound,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT