ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Just curious on Hawk fans think about this coming years matchup. I think they will be solid offensively as they have 2 pretty damn good QB’s that hurt Iowa in the BTCG… I am certain Iowa has this game circled as the Paybacks are a bitch game” from getting embarrassed 😳 on the field last December. Not sure who returns what and where for them but I do know the skill talent and quarterback room are in goods but have a new coordinator (Jesse Minter) and return only three starters. Replacing ends Aidan Hutchinson and David Owhateverhislastnameisspelled are going to be a true SOB trying to replace that elite talent isn’t an easy ft

I say Iowa has a damn night game get Kinnick rocking and rolling and swap scores from last years game to the Hawkeyes

Just curious on Hawk fans think about this coming years matchup. I think they will be solid offensively as they have 2 pretty damn good QB’s that hurt Iowa in the BTCG… I am certain Iowa has this game circled as the Paybacks are a bitch game” from getting embarrassed 😳 on the field last December. Not sure who returns what and where for them but I do know the skill talent and quarterback room are in goods but have a new coordinator (Jesse Minter) and return only three starters. Replacing ends Aidan Hutchinson and David Owhateverhislastnameisspelled are going to be a true SOB trying to replace that elite talent isn’t an easy ft

I say Iowa has a damn night game get Kinnick rocking and rolling and swap scores from last years game to the Hawkeyes
First and foremost, the Hawks lost that game in the trenches. Ordinarily that would be uncharacteristic for the Hawks ... but given our general inexperience across the lines last year - it wasn't terribly surprising.

Michigan has some fine talent as the skill positions and will pose some tough match-ups. However, I think that the Hawks will be able to give the Wolverines a much better game in '22.

I would really like to believe the line will be better this year but . . .
Linderbaum was a generational talent. Major downgrade THIS year no matter who replaces him. Richman MAY be solid or even good. He showed flashes last year for sure and seemed to have a good spring. Ditto Colby. Those two are the only spots on the line I have confidence in going into the season. No one showed any hope there last year. Britt has been injured his entire career. We HOPE Davidkov, Jones, Myslinski, Stephens, and Elsberry are going to be good but that hasn't happened yet. The most important thing for an oline is continuity. They have to function as a group-not as 5 individuals.
Sorry-don't see it this year.

I would really like to believe the line will be better this year but . . .
Linderbaum was a generational talent. Major downgrade THIS year no matter who replaces him. Richman MAY be solid or even good. He showed flashes last year for sure and seemed to have a good spring. Ditto Colby. Those two are the only spots on the line I have confidence in going into the season. No one showed any hope there last year. Britt has been injured his entire career. We HOPE Davidkov, Jones, Myslinski, Stephens, and Elsberry are going to be good but that hasn't happened yet. The most important thing for an oline is continuity. They have to function as a group-not as 5 individuals.
Sorry-don't see it this year.
Linderbaums talent a wasted last year. O-lines are only as good as the weakest link, so having the best center in the nation really made no difference last year. Last years unit was probably a 2 out of ten by the second half of the season.

This year, unless we get decimated by injuries again, will be much better as a unit despite the loss of the Baum.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Linderbaums talent a wasted last year. O-lines are only as good as the weakest link, so having the best center in the nation really made no difference last year. Last years unit was probably a 2 out of ten by the second half of the season.

This year, unless we get decimated by injuries again, will be much better as a unit despite the loss of the Baum.

I am being sincere: tell me why you feel that way.

I am being sincere: tell me why you feel that way.
Like I said... Only as good as the weakest link. Any competent coach will exploit even just one weak link. By the bye week, our o line was wracked with injuries... Struggled to put enough players in practice to have a go. TBaum could not come close to making up for that. One poster described it as a boulder in the middle of a rushing stream.

Players that were playing too soon, both undersized and inexperienced were out there with some playing hurt on top of that. A year of growth physically and mentally and, one would hope, fewer injuries will yield a better line.

Just my speculation of course, but one based on the facts.

There was a good breakdown I saw on Twitter that showed how inexperience at tackle specifically was our biggest weakness against Michigan. There were a number of runs that were blown up from the RT position not finishing their block or getting to the correct read, coupled with our struggles with pass blocking on the edge without going to quick reads or max protection.

While I won't say it's likely, it's feasible that the unit as a whole could be better despite losing Baum. OL play is more about unit cohesiveness and gel than it is about individuals.

There was a good breakdown I saw on Twitter that showed how inexperience at tackle specifically was our biggest weakness against Michigan. There were a number of runs that were blown up from the RT position not finishing their block or getting to the correct read, coupled with our struggles with pass blocking on the edge without going to quick reads or max protection.

While I won't say it's likely, it's feasible that the unit as a whole could be better despite losing Baum. OL play is more about unit cohesiveness and gel than it is about individuals.

While I agree with you about cohesiveness, I don't see any improvement at RT unless Colby moves there then he will have to adjust to playing outside. Plumb was a fourth-year player last year; DeJong was in his third year. Neither of them showed a glimpse of being able to play the position.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
While I agree with you about cohesiveness, I don't see any improvement at RT unless Colby moves there then he will have to adjust to playing outside. Plumb was a fourth-year player last year; DeJong was in his third year. Neither of them showed a glimpse of being able to play the position.
There's chatter that DeJong is being moved inside (where he'd more likely be a depth guy) and that Davidkov is making strides.

I personally expect Davidkov to be the full-time starter come midseason or so.

There's chatter that DeJong is being moved inside (where he'd more likely be a depth guy) and that Davidkov is making strides.

I personally expect Davidkov to be the full-time starter come midseason or so.
[/QUO

FWIW-I hope I am wrong. I do think there is young talent there but young talent needs experience. 2023 could be a good offense if a QB emerges.

Reactions: jo2knight
Michigan losing starters is not exactly the same as other teams losing starters. I'm sure they will have excellent talent at every position.

On the other hand, losing seniors and super-seniors and replacing them with younger kids might mean a drop in leadership, and certainly means a drop in experience.

The offense at Michigan doesn't usually scare me, which seems odd after giving up 42 points. But 21 of those points were scored in the 4th quarter when the outcome was already decided. Their defense is always very good, which is the problem IMO.

The Iowa offense will need to be quite a bit better to play with these guys in 22 I think.

Hold Michigan under 25 and the Hawks have a shot.

The way the line performed during the Citrus Bowl gives me hope going into the season. What I saw at the spring practice however looked more like what we saw on the field during the Purdue and Wisconsin losses.

My hope is that what we see this fall is closer to what we ended with in the Citrus Bowl vs what we saw prior. Health will dictate. If we can settle on the right 5 and they can consistently practice and play together the o line and offense as a whole will take major steps forward. Otherwise we will be back to our game plan from 2021, which is difficult to consistently pull off. We can repeat it but I wouldn’t count on anymore that 8 wins without significantly better o-line play.

Iowa’s line was uncharacteristically young last year….. with players jumping to the league it’s been an adjustment for Iowa being a developmental program

another year in the Iowa strength and conditioning program will help us a lot…. I expect the line to be much improved

Excited to see if Logan Lee wins the center job….. he could eventually be the next Baum for us

Iowa’s line was uncharacteristically young last year….. with players jumping to the league it’s been an adjustment for Iowa being a developmental program

another year in the Iowa strength and conditioning program will help us a lot…. I expect the line to be much improved

Excited to see if Logan Lee wins the center job….. he could eventually be the next Baum for us
Sure would have been nice to adjust the scheme to account for all that rather than ask guys to do things they were clearly unable to do.

• Haha
Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
Michigan losing starters is not exactly the same as other teams losing starters. I'm sure they will have excellent talent at every position.

On the other hand, losing seniors and super-seniors and replacing them with younger kids might mean a drop in leadership, and certainly means a drop in experience.

The offense at Michigan doesn't usually scare me, which seems odd after giving up 42 points. But 21 of those points were scored in the 4th quarter when the outcome was already decided. Their defense is always very good, which is the problem IMO.

The Iowa offense will need to be quite a bit better to play with these guys in 22 I think.

Hold Michigan under 25 and the Hawks have a shot.
If Michigan scores 24 our defense needs a couple tds!

I will give you an informed and (attempted) unbiased opinion...take it fwiw...but it is imformed

The O is expected to be one of the best Michigan has had in awhile. I personally am skeptical.

The optimism starts with the OL. Michigan technically loses two starters but one is being replaced by a grad transfer who was an AA and finished 3rd in the Rimington (a trophy I'm sure you've heard of) at UVA. He would of been drafted in the first 3 rounds but decided to stay in college replacing a former walk-on at OC who was a smart player but not physically gifted. It's on paper a major upgrade. Michigan lost an OT to the draft but the guy who replaces him played a lot including lining up at TE in Jumbo packages. The two guards are returning starters and were freshman last year...both missed parts of the season with injuries but have bulked up (and are no longer first year guys). If the group stays healthy...

Another major point of optimism is the WR group. I honestly think it is being overhyped but understand were the hype is coming from. IMO (educated) this is the deepest group Michigan has ever had (going back to the early 90s) and is full of guys who can make plays. My issue is Michigan doesn't have a true 5 tool guy (besides a true frosh...who is well a true frosh)...just 6 #2 WRs...good problem to have but would rather have a true #1

The RB group is interesting. Corum is a stud but not 25+ carry guy (if you want him to stay healthy). Edwards could be that and more but he was a true frosh last year and needs to prove it. If he does it is a scary combo and if he doesn't ...well he doesn't

Not going to go too much into the QB situation....one is certainly good enough to beat anyone in the B10...the other some think can bring Michigan to the next level but was a true frosh and has a lot to prove

So let's talk D...starting with Hutch and Ojabo aren't there anymore. They changed games. The Michigan D will different...maybe more solid but probably not as dynamic.

Michigan will be better up the middle. Maui Smith (1st year starter last year) is going to be a stud. He has a couple veterans next to him in the interior line that have played a lot (thus veterans) but now just becoming upperclassmen. Plus a RS frosh who was one of the biggest gets of his class (Micbigan beat out Bama for him). At ILB Michigan returns a freshman AA who is a stud and replaced a RS frosh mid season who will be next to him this year (between those two and Ross it was the 3 man rotation in the middle). Both are better athletes than Ross (and if you want to claim I'm a homer...both were higher rated as recruits)...but Ross made plays...TBD

On the edge...Michigan is worse...you don't just replace a top 2 pick and a guy who probably would have been taken in the 1st round if not for an Achilles injury. The question is how much of a drop off? Well Moore was the starter over Ojabo for the first 3rd of the season. He's a very good Ayer and has a more compete game...he's not as explosive as Ojabo though. The guys on the other side are certainly not Hutch but one was billed as that and the other has played a lot of FB.

Where it gets interesting for me is the defensive backfield. 3 guys started at CB for Michigan last year. 2 return including the guy who had a season ending injury. Thus technically two returning starters...though neither reminded me of Charles Woodson ...on the other hand...Michigan has the #1 CB recruit in the country coming in...well an early entry though missing most of spring with an injury...when you talk safety and nickel...well...I don't know..
Imo the Michigan safeties played incredibly smart football last year but didn't do anything spectacular...this group is headlined by a headhunter (a true frosh last year who started the last few games) and some guys who run fast but maybe not box safeties...Michigan is actually hoping one of incoming guys steps up and a former WR can fill the slot

Well...take it fwiw...if it is a night game at Kinnick...throw out all analysis...

Last edited:
I will give you an informed and (attempted) unbiased opinion...take it fwiw...but it is imformed

The O is expected to be one of the best Michigan has had in awhile. I personally am skeptical.

The optimism starts with the OL. Michigan technically loses two starters but one is being replaced by a grad transfer who was an AA and finished 3rd in the Rimington (a trophy I'm sure you've heard of) at UVA. He would of been drafted in the first 3 rounds but decided to stay in college replacing a former walk-on at OC who was a smart player but not physically gifted. It's on paper a major upgrade. Michigan lost an OT to the draft but the guy who replaces him played a lot including lining up at TE in Jumbo packages. The two guards are returning starters and were freshman last year...both missed parts of the season with injuries but have bulked up (and are no longer first year guys). If the group stays healthy...

Another major point of optimism is the WR group. I honestly think it is being overhyped but understand were the hype is coming from. IMO (educated) this is the deepest group Michigan has ever had (going back to the early 90s) and is full of guys who can make plays. My issue is Michigan doesn't have a true 5 tool guy (besides a true frosh...who is well a true frosh)...just 6 #2 WRs...good problem to have but would rather have a true #1

The RB group is interesting. Corum is a stud but not 25+ carry guy (if you want him to stay healthy). Edwards could be that and more but he was a true frosh last year and needs to prove it. If he does it is a scary combo and if he doesn't ...well he doesn't

Not going to go too much into the QB situation....one is certainly good enough to beat anyone in the B10...the other some think can bring Michigan to the next level but was a true frosh and has a lot to prove

So let's talk D...starting with Hutch and Ojabo aren't there anymore. They changed games. The Michigan D will different...maybe more solid but probably not as dynamic.

Michigan will be better up the middle. Maui Smith (1st year
Great post and thanks for the insight! See you at Kinnick!

Thanks for the Michigan perspective. Clearly Harbaugh is recruiting very well and will always have talent to fill any holes.
Hawks better execute their halfback pass trick play (unlike in BT Title game ) and be ready to stop Michigan's trick plays( unlike in same game.)

Nail-biter.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki

Michigan will be better up the middle. Maui Smith (1st year starter last year) is going to be a stud. He has a couple veterans next to him in the interior line that have played a lot (thus veterans) but now just becoming upperclassmen. Plus a RS frosh who was one of the biggest gets of his class (Micbigan beat out Bama for him). At ILB Michigan returns a freshman AA who is a stud and replaced a RS frosh mid season who will be next to him this year (between those two and Ross it was the 3 man rotation in the middle). Both are better athletes than Ross (and if you want to claim I'm a homer...both were higher rated as recruits)...but Ross made plays...TBD

On the edge...Michigan is worse...you don't just replace a top 2 pick and a guy who probably would have been taken in the 1st round if not for an Achilles injury. The question is how much of a drop off? Well Moore was the starter over Ojabo for the first 3rd of the season. He's a very good Ayer and has a more compete game...he's not as explosive as Ojabo though. The guys on the other side are certainly not Hutch but one was billed as that and the other has played a lot of FB.

Where it gets interesting for me is the defensive backfield. 3 guys started at CB for Michigan last year. 2 return including the guy who had a season ending injury. Thus technically two returning starters...though neither reminded me of Charles Woodson ...on the other hand...Michigan has the #1 CB recruit in the country coming in...well an early entry though missing most of spring with an injury...when you talk safety and nickel...well...I don't know..
Imo the Michigan safeties played incredibly smart football last year but didn't do anything spectacular...this group is headlined by a headhunter (a true frosh last year who started the last few games) and some guys who run fast but maybe not box safeties...Michigan is actually hoping one of incoming guys steps up and a former WR can fill the slot

Well...take it fwiw...if it is a night game at Kinnick...throw out all analysis...
A point no one is discussing is Mike MacDonald going back to the Ravens. Michigan's defense was different last year, what will happen under his replacement from Vanderbilt?

A point no one is discussing is Mike MacDonald going back to the Ravens. Michigan's defense was different last year, what will happen under his replacement from Vanderbilt?
Minter and Mcdonald worked together on the Ravens staff and learned the same system. Minter was the DB coach and Mcdonald the LB coach until this past year. Both got their first DC jobs last year. Minter was the first of the two hired although Mcdonald ended up with the more high profile job (and is now back the with Ravens in a higher profile job).

Minter might have some of his own wrinkles but he was literally hired because he runs the same system. The Ravens and Michigan appear to have a coaching exchange program going on...almost like there is a connection between the two...whatever that might be

They need to be very afraid coming into Kinnick. Hopefully this is a blackout night game.
They are going down.

The BIG10 championship game was an anomaly imo. They were the better team but not that much better. We gave up plays we normally don't and they made plays they normally didn't that year.

Not saying I am marking it as a W, but it will not be like last years meeting.

Think Michigan will be pretty good again. Don't think their defense will be on the same level as last year's but they will still be good. Just hope they are still developing at that point to be able to at least score a little bit off of them. If Iowa wins, it will because the defense had a great day and scored on TOs.

Our OL didn’t play like it was the 13th game of the season when we played last year. One would think by then everyone is an experienced veteran.

Don't really see enough changes from either side to swap a 39 point beat down. Kinnick is a tough stadium, but not 39 point tough. Kirk may try to "clean up a couple of things," but is unwilling to address the elephant in the room.

The BIG10 championship game was an anomaly imo. They were the better team but not that much better. We gave up plays we normally don't and they made plays they normally didn't that year.

Not saying I am marking it as a W, but it will not be like last years meeting.
Correct. Michigan barely beat Nebraska in Lincoln.

ADVERTISEMENT