ADVERTISEMENT

Micro-Aggressions

pablow

HR Legend
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2010
I've spent the last twelve hours at the library researching micro-aggressions. This concept is going to be bigger than second hand smoke.

Follow closely and remember that micro-aggression is, by its very definition, a very subtle and nuanced concept. Perhaps a few examples from an article, linked below, in Psychology Today will help:

1. The Wine List: A black man and his white friend dine at a restaurant. The waiter hands the wine list to whitey. Therefore, the waiter, the restaurant, and I are racist.
[I have a better example. Everytime I go out to eat with my girlfriend the waitress brings me the check. This is sexist. The check needs to go to my girlfriend.]

2. Micro-Bullying. Not all bullies are jerks or violent. Some are charismatic, charming, and nice. But here's how these mini-bastards work:

The micro-bully boss will not solicit the imput of "others". He will not "mentor and nurture the talent of those who come from diverse backgrounds, thus maintaining a mono-cultural organizational climate.These types of microaggressive behaviors help to maintain an imbalanced power structure in the vast majority of American institutions."​

3. Neutrality can be Micro-Aggression: A school district in Wisconsin adopted a sexual orientation neutrality policy. The policy simply instructed teachers to leave the issue be - let the parents deal with it. But, according to micro-aggression theorists the "policy is implicitly targeting the issue of non-heterosexuality. So, remaining neutral on the issue of sexual orientation is by default supporting heterosexism, the notion that heterosexuality is the gold standard. Mandating such a policy is in essence taking a side, which is not remaining neutral."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo.../when-neutrality-hurts-the-sexual-orientation

Second hand smoke made my dinner taste bad. If they now want to hand the check to someone else, that will also improve the experience. I think I could live with this.

And does this mean you sleep at the library?

Last edited:
If there is one thing we can expect on this board, it is for posters to understand nuanced concepts.

Second hand smoke made my dinner taste bad. If they now want to hand the check to someone else, that will also improve the experience. I think I could live with this.

Well according to the micro-aggression doctrine your check should go to the closest seated oppressed minority.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT