ADVERTISEMENT

Mid Level recruits who have gone on to stardom for the hawks?

HawkeyePA

HR All-State
Mar 27, 2012
Are there any mid level recruits who come to mind that became Stars for the Hawkeyes and thus out performed their ranking- ? I mean where was Cory Clarke or KemDawg Ranked when they were recruited? I see when people saw yesterday's announcement about Kale Petersen's commitment they tended to see him as a mid grade recruit I wondered if this kind of talk would serve to motivate him to be even better? They cant all be #1 P4P recruits and I am sure we are happy to add to a great recruiting class for 2023

Dan Dennis never won a state championship in Illinois. NCAA finalist and Olympian. He got destroyed his Freshman year at Iowa, Then Tom Brands came to town, and the rest is history.

Clark and Kendawg were top 25 overall recruits for their class. Matt McDonough was probably just inside Top 50 overall for his class (somebody correct me if I’m wrong), and he won multiple championships.

I mean where was Cory Clark....very high overall 12 or 13 top 2 or 3 at his weight

KemDawg Ranked..... Even higher overall top 10 for sure 9ish I think, 1st at his weight

Burak was a three-time AA not in the top 100

But like this years line up, most were top 3 at their weight class (not 57) don't remember where Nelson was but probably top 10 at his weight

These are close but might be a little off not going to look it up
weight overall
Spencer # 1 #2
Brody #2 or3 20ish
Real #1 or 2 top 15
Max top 10 40ish
Seabass ---- 100ish?.
pk #1 Top 10
Nelson 10 or 12 75 ish
Abe #1 or 2 Top 15
Warner #1 top 6
Cass top 3 top 15ish

Willie can get it closer but ill bet that's close

Reactions: TarpHawk
Are there any mid level recruits who come to mind that became Stars for the Hawkeyes and thus out performed their ranking- ? I mean where was Cory Clarke or KemDawg Ranked when they were recruited? I see when people saw yesterday's announcement about Kale Petersen's commitment they tended to see him as a mid grade recruit I wondered if this kind of talk would serve to motivate him to be even better? They cant all be #1 P4P recruits and I am sure we are happy to add to a great recruiting class for 2023

Clark and Kem were blue chips. Petersen by Willie's ranking is more low end than mid level but I like his game.

Spencer, Warner, Kennedy and Cass were high end. Ayala, Jesuroga, Chittum, Arnold, Kueter and Block are high end as well. Ybarra actually was considered here coming out.

Mid level would be guys like Schriever, Murin, Kaleb Young, Joel Jesuroga, Rathjen, Reyna, Glazier, Franklin, Hill. Assad was a higher mid level, Riggins too.

Brands was lower end, ranked below 80 coming out. Pretty much everyone else would fall in here. I didn't factor in transfers.

Clark and Kem were blue chips. Petersen by Willie's ranking is more low end than mid level but I like his game.

Spencer, Warner, Kennedy and Cass were high end. Ayala, Jesuroga, Chittum, Arnold, Kueter and Block are high end as well. Ybarra actually was considered here coming out.

Mid level would be guys like Schriever, Murin, Kaleb Young, Joel Jesuroga, Rathjen, Reyna, Glazier, Franklin, Hill. Assad was a higher mid level, Riggins too.

Brands was lower end, ranked below 80 coming out. Pretty much everyone else would fall in here. I didn't factor in transfers.
I think Schriever would have been ranked closer to Ayala’s level had he not been injured the last 15 months of his high school career.

Flo typically has a breakdown of NCAA results based on p4p rankings. If I remember correctly, a huge percentage of All Americans were top 25 P4P recruits, and its pretty rare to see anyone that was outside the top 100 make the podium.

Spencer Lee was a state runner up his senior year. Developed into a national champ. Plucky kid.

Spencer #2 p4p
Teske 34 P4P
Woods 21 P4p
Murin 44 p4p
Rathjen 49 p4p (Cobe NR)
Kennedy 3 P4p
Brands 93 p4p
Assad 29 p4p
Warner 7 p4p
Cass 14 p4p

All Willies Rankings
As solid as that is, PSU's is DISGUSTING.

125: Howard #7 P4P (Steen #29)
133: RBY #12 P4P
141: Bartlett #4 P4P
149: Van Ness #4 P4P
157: Haines #9 P4P
165: Facundo #2 P4P
174: Starocci #9 P4P
184: Brooks #2 P4P
197: Dean (The ONLY guy not recruited originally by PSU.) #74 P4P
285: Kerkvliet #1 P4P

That is an average P4P ranking, for those directly recruited, of (50/9)=5.56

Meanwhile, Iowa's average for just those directly recruited is (241/8)=30.02 So, Teske and Woods(55/2)=27.5, would actually bring that average down, ever so slightly, below 30 to 29.6...

Meanwhile, Iowa's average for just those directly recruited is (241/8)=30.02 So, Teske and Woods(55/2)=27.5, would actually bring that average down, ever so slightly, below 30 to 29.6...
This sums it up folks.

JFC PSU wakes up in the morning and pisses top ten recruits. It’s alarming when you see it laid out before you. Let’s get that endowment up and compete!!! Right now we’re in second place in the the race for the Jimmies and the Joe’s, but damn I’d hate to see who’s in third…..were 25 on average behind it might just be us.

Spencer #2 p4p
Teske 34 P4P
Woods 21 P4p
Murin 44 p4p
Rathjen 49 p4p (Cobe NR)
Kennedy 3 P4p
Brands 93 p4p
Assad 29 p4p
Warner 7 p4p
Cass 14 p4p

All Willies Rankings
We clearly need to recruit better to compete for championships. I think PSU’s average has been below 10 every year for the last 10. It is amazing that we are able to pull out an occasional championship and be close with them with much less talent.

We just had a good recruiting class, but if Nate and Ben never hit the mat, it won’t look nearly as good.

It would be interesting to see this year by year for us, since the Brands have been here. Is it getting better? Was it much higher before Cael arrived at PSU? Or, was the field that much weaker/diluted back then?

If it's not getting better, what is changing to make it better?

It would be interesting to see this year by year for us, since the Brands have been here. Is it getting better? Was it much higher before Cael arrived at PSU? Or, was the field that much weaker/diluted back then?

If it's not getting better, what is changing to make it better?

In recent years, there's been improvement without a doubt, but for many years it was pretty bad. Zero top 10 recruits over a 5 year span from 2010-14. Then came our first - Kemerer, #8 p4p, who ends up being a 4x AA (3,4,2,4). He was actually a 5x AA with the covid year, when ncaa was cancelled.

Top 10 p4p recruits, through 2018

Iowa:
2010 - 0
2011 - 0
2012 - 0
2013 - 0
2014 - 0
2015 - 1
2016 - 1
2017 - 2
2018 - 0

PSU:
2010 - 2
2011 - 2
2012 -1
2013 - 1
2014 - 3
2015 - 1
2016 - 3
2017 - 2
2018 - 2

2023:
Implied #1 Chittum
#3 Keuter
#7 Jesuroga
#12 Arnold
#25 Block

2022:
#29 Riggins
#48 Franklin

2021:
#5 Ayala
#14 Henson
#37 Rathjen

2020:
#3 Kennedy
#16 Ybarra
#60 Reyna
#66 Schriever

2019:
#29 Assad
#83 Glazier

2018:
#14 Cassioppi
[#25 Real Woods]
#80 Cashman
#93 Brands

2017:
#2 Lee
#7 Warner
[#17 De Santo]
#44 Murin

2016:
#3 Marinelli
#21 Young
#34 Happel

2015:
#9 Kemerer
[#35 Clayton (Eierman)]
#61 Turk
#82 Holloway
NA Wilcke
NA Gunther
NA Moody

2014:
#10 Stoll

2013:
#62 Sorensen
#65 Marlin

Opinion: we got a little too cocky from winning championships in '08, '09, '10, got into the mindset of "We're Iowa. Let recruits come to us and prove how much they want to be here."

Fortunately, Spencer Lee really wanted to be here. And fortunately, Larry Lee took Tom aside and said, "You know, Tom, your message isn't exactly resonating the way you think it is."

Tom is a stubborn old dog, but he learned new tricks.

The above is a mix of rumor, conjecture, and BS, with absolutely no first-hand knowledge of anything except Tom's stubbornness at age 20.

P.S. The correct answer is Sorensen, followed by Marion, Dennis, and Burak. The correct answer in the Gable era is Jessie Whitmer, followed by Daryl Weber.

Opinion: we got a little too cocky from winning championships in '08, '09, '10, got into the mindset of "We're Iowa. Let recruits come to us and prove how much they want to be here."

Fortunately, Spencer Lee really wanted to be here. And fortunately, Larry Lee took Tom aside and said, "You know, Tom, your message isn't exactly resonating the way you think it is."

The above is a mix of rumor, conjecture, and BS, with absolutely no first-hand knowledge of anything except Tom's stubbornness at age 20.

P.S. The correct answer is Sorensen, followed by Marion, Dennis, and Burak. The correct answer in the Gable era is Jessie Whitmer, followed by Daryl Weber.
Totally agree. It’s amazing that we got Spencer without even recruiting him. So lucky he was just born wanting to be a hawk. GTFO

"The Iowa Way" video that was posted on here a few days back really captures some of that.

Yeah we, we're really good during the Metcalf era and it carried over with McD, Ramos, Marion, DSJ then with Gilman, Clark, Sorensen but there were some signs even in 2011 that the tide was changing fast and we were still in the Iowa Way mindset.

This current lineup reminds me too much of that time frame. A couple of really dynamic guys surrounded by plodders. I hope this next class with Chittum, Arnold and BK (depending on his mat time) can help us keep pace or overtake psu again.

Whitmer and Weber were the first 2 names I thought of when this topic came up.

For the older than me crowd (dam you guys are old) how highly recruited was Royce? I assume highly but I have no idea.

Experience helps, right. Tom looked at every area of the program and made changes. I did not know him then, but I believe his competitiveness beat out the stubborn to make the changes needed to get back on top.

Was Kinseth a big time recruit?

Totally agree. It’s amazing that we got Spencer without even recruiting him. So lucky he was just born wanting to be a hawk. GTFO
I wouldn't say they did not recruit him, maybe just not in the way needed.........till it happened

Whitmer and Weber were the first 2 names I thought of when this topic came up.

For the older than me crowd (dam you guys are old) how highly recruited was Royce? I assume highly but I have no idea.
Same page. First two names that came to mind for me as well, followed closely by Pete Bush. All NC, but you can come up with plenty of AAs during Gable’s time.

If an athlete wanted it bad enough, Gable could make a NC out of anyone, regardless of HS accolades or so it seemed…so spoiled.

Experience helps, right...

...Was Kinseth a big time recruit?
Coming out of Decorah (Iowa) high school Bruce Kinseth was not among the nations’ top wrestling recruits. Kinseth developed his dominance in the University of Iowa wrestling room, frequently wrestling against Coach Gable. Moreover, coming out of Sheldon (Iowa) High School, there were a number of wrestlers with national prominence much more actively recruited than either Tommy/Terry Brands. Gable’s philosophy was recruit talented kids with a passionate work ethic, and develop the wrestler(s) in the room.

Coming out of Decorah (Iowa) high school Bruce Kinseth was not among the nations’ top wrestling recruits. Kinseth developed his dominance in the University of Iowa wrestling room, frequently wrestling against Coach Gable. Moreover, coming out of Sheldon (Iowa) High School, there were a number of wrestlers with national prominence much more actively recruited than either Tommy/Terry Brands. Gable’s philosophy was recruit talented kids with a passionate work ethic, and develop the wrestler(s) in the room.
Who else came from Sheldon?

I thought about mentioning TnT but Terry was am Asics AA as a junior. He was a known commodity and probably highly ranked. IIRC Prescott and Dan Knight were also in that year's team. I used to have it taped to my wall, wishful thinking!

I have no idea what rankings looked like back then, which is why I asked about royce but Terry was the higher ranked recruit. So I guess, Tom, with his lone state championship, could have been more of a project. 😆

Reactions: IRONBIRD

P.S. The correct answer is Sorensen, followed by Marion, Dennis, and Burak. The correct answer in the Gable era is Jessie Whitmer, followed by Daryl Weber
I would agree with this for the most part. I do think Tom needs to continue to learn new tricks though. Iowa won a title, but are now back to where they were prior to that title. More adapting needs to be done. I'd say the progression of the HWC roster, getting past recruiting to their scholarship dollars (proven by the number of recruits brought on campus this recruiting season during their football weekend), and lastly adding a recruiting coordinator. I wish I was worth millions and I'd endow the position.

We clearly need to recruit better to compete for championships. I think PSU’s average has been below 10 every year for the last 10. It is amazing that we are able to pull out an occasional championship and be close with them with much less talent.

We just had a good recruiting class, but if Nate and Ben never hit the mat, it won’t look nearly as good.
Almost destroys the narrative that Cael and company are so much better than everyone else at development?

Almost destroys the narrative that Cael and company are so much better than everyone else at development?
Serious question about nature vs. nurture…

What % of Top 10 P4P recruits win an individual championship? Vs. What % of PSU’s Top 10 P4P recruits win an individual championship?

If anyone’s done the analysis, I can‘t find it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT