ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Participants for Iowa

Midlands is next on the Hawk schedule and I’m anxious to know who will be competing. I assume Spencer will be absent since he will be competing freestyle later this month. Should be a good test.

Seabass, Gross and Desanto should be good. Mueller, Lee and Glory also. Seabass might just beat Gross in semis depending on what he can do underneath but will never keep up with Desanto.

Seabass, Gross and Desanto should be good. Mueller, Lee and Glory also. Seabass might just beat Gross in semis depending on what he can do underneath but will never keep up with Desanto.

Do we know Rivera will still be at 133?

Reactions: el dub
If Rivera is at 125 he will most likely be the #1 seed over Lee.

They weigh Midlands results heavily and Rivera has the last two “head to head” wins one of which was the Midlands finals.

Not saying that it shouldn’t be Lee, just that I have seen this seeds at Midlands over the last 30 years do this every year. They favor Midlands performance over NCAA’s when other criteria is close.

If Rivera is at 125 he will most likely be the #1 seed over Lee.

They weigh Midlands results heavily and Rivera has the last two “head to head” wins one of which was the Midlands finals.

Not saying that it shouldn’t be Lee, just that I have seen this seeds at Midlands over the last 30 years do this every year. They favor Midlands performance over NCAA’s when other criteria is close.
A two time defending NCAA Champ as the two seed at Midlands? My gut tells me to doubt that one!

Ranked wrestlers who could be at Midlands (rankings from TOM, it's a lot easier since they're all on one page)
1-Lee, 2-Mueller, 3-Glory, 6-Schroder, 7-Hudkins, 8-Hildebrandt, 11-DeAugustino, 17-Curry, 20-Colaiocco
1-DeSanto, 2-Gross, 3-Rivera, 9-Piotrowski, 11-Gonser, 17-Hayes
5-Murin, 8-Moran, 11-Blockhus, 15-Sherman, 16-Simon, 17-Duncan
1-O'Connor (inj?), 4-Lugo, 6-Thomsen, 9-Thomas, 10-Parriott, 11-Clarke, 12-D'Angelo, 15-Martin, 18-Spencer
Kolodzik is sitting out this year, but I wonder if he would go to Midlands?
1-Deakin, 5-Monday, 6-Young, 9-Coleman, 13-Artalona
2-Marinelli, 3-Wick, 11-McCormick, 15-Hartman, 16-Perez, 17-Monday, 19-Oster, 20-Conigliaro
3-Kemerer, 4-Lydy, 5-Steiert, 9-Harvey, 10-Gunther
4-Lujan, 9-Harvey, 10-Brands, 12-Stewart, 13-Allard, 16-Morgan, 17-Wilson, 19-Sebastian
2-Warner, 3-Brucki, 7-Brunner, 16-Aiello, 18-Davison
3-Cass, 4-Hillger, 7-Stencel, 11-Heino, 13-McKiernan, 16-Isley, 17-Miller

Thanks Andre. I’m a little confused though about the wrestlers ranks. It has Desanto at #5 and Murin behind Moran? Are these just not updated yet?

Appreciate it?
Good catch.

There are actually two different sets of rankings in WrestleStat, "starter" rankings (the second link I provided), and then "all" rankings (which are used on that Midlands Participants page). The starter rankings are only for the designated starters for each school, so it goes to #78. In that, DeSanto is 3rd, and Murin is 10th, even though he beat Moran already this year.

The other set of rankings is for ALL wrestlers in all of D1. Those rankings include redshirts, injured, olympic redshirts, etc. In those, DeSanto is 5th, behind #1 Micic, #2 Gross, #3 Suriano, and #4 Rivera.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

He’s competed in six college tournaments and only won two. Not impressed.

tenor.gif

It would take an extraordinary effort but possible for a Hawkeye in every championship match. Young would need to beat Monday, Brands or Wilke be on their top game and of course Cass is going to need to show up for a tough field, oh and Spencer would need to be there. My thoughts:
1. Young beats Monday but not beating Deakin (yet).
2. A healthy Wilke makes the 84 finals with 3 wins by total of 5 pts.
3. Cass is a Midlands champion as a freshman.
4. Spencer does wrestle and gets rematch with Mueller.
5. Desanto cruises to finals to meet Seabass (yes, Seabass over Gross)
6. Lugo is money on the road and tournaments.
7. Marinelli vs Wick (what else?)
8. Pity anyone who meets Kemdawg. (Will he lose at all this year?)
9. Mad Max with win over Moron, oops Moran for championship.
10. Warner vs Brucci part 2. Hope he seperates himself this time.

Ranked wrestlers who could be at Midlands (rankings from TOM, it's a lot easier since they're all on one page)
1-Lee, 2-Mueller, 3-Glory, 6-Schroder, 7-Hudkins, 8-Hildebrandt, 11-DeAugustino, 17-Curry, 20-Colaiocco
1-O'Connor (inj?), 4-Lugo, 6-Thomsen, 9-Thomas, 10-Parriott, 11-Clarke, 12-D'Angelo, 15-Martin, 18-Spencer
2-Marinelli, 3-Wick, 11-McCormick, 15-Hartman, 16-Perez, 17-Monday, 19-Oster, 20-Conigliaro
4-Lujan, 9-Harvey, 10-Brands, 12-Stewart, 13-Allard, 16-Morgan, 17-Wilson, 19-Sebastian
If these hold to form it is a good opportunity for Lugo and Young to prove their ranking or improve it hopefully. It will be a good measuring stick for 184 for both our guys (a champ would take the spot for good imo). I am really interested to see if KemDawg can distance himself from other AA 's at 174. If he can win going away I think it will put everyone else at 174 on alert. I really think it is between him and Hall this year at 174 and he will prove it in a couple weeks!

If these hold to form it is a good opportunity for Lugo and Young to prove their ranking or improve it hopefully. It will be a good measuring stick for 184 for both our guys (a champ would take the spot for good imo). I am really interested to see if KemDawg can distance himself from other AA 's at 174. If he can win going away I think it will put everyone else at 174 on alert. I really think it is between him and Hall this year at 174 and he will prove it in a couple weeks!

What if Cash and Nelson finish 2nd and 3rd and their only loss is to Lujan? I wonder how that would play out the rest of the year.

He’s competed in six college tournaments and only won two. Not impressed.

I have a co-worker in DC who seems to be made of the same fabric as you when it comes to the written message. He's generally a man of few words, but very intelligent and quick witted, possesses an often times dry but always hilarious sense of humor, and so on. When reading some of your posts I feel like I'm reading this guy's email traffic.

Lee will be in Texas at senior nationals dec 20-22 so it wont surprise ne if hes not at Midlands a week later.

Amen, Brother! Like you, I want to see what a healthy Kem can do against the upper tier talent. He's looked great against much weaker opponents...and I think he's going to look equally impressive against the ranked guys. He might outfunk himself once or twice, but I like the way he's wrestling and look for him to take this tourney "going away." Looking forward to the trip to Iowa City to watch him beat Hall!!

Reactions: blcoach80

Looking forward to Warner-Brucki Part 2 and Cass-Hillger Part 2. Curious to see how Brucki and Hillger approach the matches this time around...if in fact they meet in the finals.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
What if Cash and Nelson finish 2nd and 3rd and their only loss is to Lujan? I wonder how that would play out the rest of the year.
Would 1st and 2nd seed be between Lujan and Wilcke? Wilcke is a past champ and runner up and Lujan was a runner up. Not sure how seeding will work for Nelson since he didn't wrestle at Midlands last year.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Looking forward to Warner-Brucki Part 2 and Cass-Hillger Part 2. Curious to see how Brucki and Hillger approach the matches this time around...if in fact they meet in the finals.

Yeah a possibility for a lot of rematches. Would be kind of cool to see how Nelson would do against Sebastian and Cash against Stefanik.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT