ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Participants for Iowa

I was being selfish and wanted to see both of them in the finals :)

I am a BIG FAN of selfishness.

I find it best employed with ice cream, pies, cakes, and brownies.
images

Midlands is the next event on the schedule. One week away and I haven’t seen anything from NW as the event host. Amy rumors or confirmation on who the Hawks are sending? Spencer Lee hasn’t won Midlands yet (just sayin). Will this tourney decide 184?

Stay tuned...
I had looked to see if they still did preseeds and last year they did a countdown for “top contenders.” Started 10 days out and did one per day. Nothing so far like that either...

Reading this article from WIN, they quoted Brands saying they are sending 22 wrestlers to Midlands, and 141, and 184 will be closer to settled after that.

22 wrestlers! Most of I've heard of for Iowa was 17, the last two seasons I believe. Originally, I thought they capped it at 15 wrestlers per school. Has that cap been removed for Midlands? I'd love to see more individual participants from each of the schools.

Here's what we have for team participants for Midlands:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/event/45769/participants/teams
Went the last two years going to miss it this year but will catch the rest of the home meets and Nationals.

Reactions: andegre
I would love to watch Spencer, but I can see why he wouldn't. After all, he just won the US Open. It is a bit anticlimactic, and there's a chance of injury.

I think he'll wrestle in our big duals, and then go into the end of the season with a mindset of winning ascending tourneys in importantance: 1) Big Ten. 2) NCAA. 3) OTT.

I can't see why he would skip the big college tourneys. He certainly wouldn't think he can't do something Tony Ramos or Thomas Gilman did, that is, be the US Freestyle champion after competing in the NCAAs a couple weeks before.

Last edited:
I believe he will.

It all depends on how he’s feeling these next few days once the lactic acidosis kicks in and the adrenaline wears off. I’ve got a suspicion that he wants to, but again, he has bigger and better goals in mind. Not that midlands is t a nice title to have.

He’s a tough kid to keep off the mat, I wouldn’t be surprised. T&T will do what’s best for him.

I would love to watch Spencer, but I can't see why he wouldn't. After all, he just won the US Open. It is a bit anticlimactic, and there's a chance of injury.

I think he'll wrestle in our big duals, and then go into the end of the season with a mindset of winning ascending tourneys in importantance: 1) Big Ten. 2) NCAA. 3) OTT.

I can't see why he would skip the big college tourneys. He certainly wouldn't think he can't do something Tony Ramos or Thomas Gilman did, that is, be the US Freestyle champion after competing in the NCAAs a couple weeks before.

I agree. I don't see a big plus side to wrestling at Midlands, I think he should and will take it easy on his body, and go into March fresh and ready to make big runs over a four week period.

I think he should skip it. He deserves a few days off. Come back ready to go for the big ten season.

Mueller would be an incentive but sounds like he will not be able to be there. Glory shouldn't be in same conversation with Lee, he isn't in same league, just ask Cashman. Only reasons for Lee to compete is because we like to watch him wrestle and a reasonable chance of a Hawk in every championship bout at the tourney. Hawks might break point record without him.

I would think Spencer could go either way depending on how is feeling on tuesday/wed.
I would like to see him win it but expect him to need rest.

Im more excited about The rest of the team competing even the “room” guys. Go Hawks

Mueller would be an incentive but sounds like he will not be able to be there. Glory shouldn't be in same conversation with Lee, he isn't in same league, just ask Cashman. Only reasons for Lee to compete is because we like to watch him wrestle and a reasonable chance of a Hawk in every championship bout at the tourney. Hawks might break point record without him.
Agreed, Glory isn't on the same planet as Lee. Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. How would Glory have done in the open?
Lol

If we ask Piccinnini we might get a different answer. Glory is damn good and getting better.

A year ago we said Seabass doesn’t belong in the same conversation.
Not underestimating him, he is a top 10 and likely AA. Seabass beats him easily and Lee major or techs him.

ADVERTISEMENT