ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands

Dan Braunagel (Illinois) won by decision over Peyton Hall (West Virginia) Dec 7-6

Dayton Pitzer (Pittsburgh) won by decision over Colton Schultz (Arizona State) Dec 4-0

I applaud the staff for trying to make this happen, especially when you factor in the women's side, but yes.
I agree but have been more and more disappointed with what Midlands had become even before the cancellations. A lot of no shows, entire Illinois team one year. Less and less big names there. The semis this year are not exactly riddled with marquis matches either. Iowa being there boosted that tournament a lot.

I agree but have been more and more disappointed with what Midlands had become even before the cancellations. A lot of no shows, entire Illinois team one year. Less and less big names there. The semis this year are not exactly riddled with marquis matches either. Iowa being there boosted that tournament a lot.
Can't disagree with any of that.

I really hope that our staff can build up this event and make it the marquee event for men's and women's wrestling.

It'll be tough on the men's side as midlands and scuffle aren't going anywhere but as more D1 teams add women's wrestling I'd hope schools would send both teams to one singular event.

This will be a multi-year build up with the focus to add 1 or 2 solid teams every year on the men's side and becoming the event on the women's side.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Moran is getting Medley’d on Mat 5. Following this tourney and trying to figure where Spencer was wrestling. Too much going on with Powerade

I really hope that our staff can build up this event and make it the marquee event for men's and women's wrestling.

It'll be tough on the men's side as midlands and scuffle aren't going anywhere but as more D1 teams add women's wrestling I'd hope schools would send both teams to one singular event.

This will be a multi-year build up with the focus to add 1 or 2 solid teams every year on the men's side and becoming the event on the women's side.
That hardest part of making a tourney a marquee tourney is getting teams to send their starters. Any little nick or injury and people are sitting out. It used to be that the teams and kids needed matches to work out their kinks and get better. Now, kids have been wrestling so long that all they want to do is be healthy and practice. The coaching is so skilled and the scouting so well done, that matches for many are not all that needed.

I agree but also see smaller teams coming here which will lead to bigger teams having no choice. Hopefully this is the start of a slow bleed out of Midlands.

Reactions: Gobblin
"...any man's death diminishes me...and therefore send not to know for whom the bell tolls, the bell tolls for...".
Ok hopefully Midlands continues as a weaker tournament in an area that isn't such a dump.

i would have been very happy with this current tourney if the team had gone to cklv. or collegiate duals. just for the good of the sport. iowa is a big brand and should be on the mat in important events.

Just watching this and it was like a morgue at the venue during the finals.

NW won the team title for the first time ever.
NW actually has a decent team this year but yeah, that's not a good sign for The Midlands. Just like the Rose Bowl it's an event that will lose its luster.

Last edited:
Just watching this and it was like a morgue ...
Recent disparaging writings about Midlands Wrestling Tournament are troublesome. The University of Iowa wrestling program has contributed significantly to the success of the Midlands tournament. Conversely, the Midlands Wrestling Tournament has contributed significantly to the success of the University of Iowa wrestling program.

Reflection/serious thought on following, most forum writers will find true. .. the strength of the Wolf is the pack, the strength of the pack is the Wolf.

And I wish all a Joyful and Prospurous New Year. Go Hawks!

Reactions: BuckeyeintheChi
at midlands iowas only competition was hwc, burk you can be hurt but i think midlands needs iowa way worse than iowa needs midlands
If I'm a top national 6th grader right now I haven't seen the Hawks as the dominant force anywhere in the past year and now haven't seen them wrestle in any of the major events this year. That's not good. Not sure it's ok for that to persist

If I'm a top national 6th grader right now I haven't seen the Hawks as the dominant force anywhere in the past year and now haven't seen them wrestle in any of the major events this year. That's not good. Not sure it's ok for that to persist
Your concern is appreciated

Reactions: 12tdsaw
"... but i think midlands needs iowa way worse than iowa needs midlands"
Not clear what metric used to measure that perspective.

However uuuhmm; 'not everything that is measured counts, not everything that counts is measuured'.

University of Iowa wrestling and The Midland Wrestling Championship: a symbiotic relationship.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT