ADVERTISEMENT

Midwest Traveler: Iowa brewery may be world's 'second best'

I stopped by the Brewery in Charles City a couple weeks ago, wasn’t expecting much but damn! I had three different beers and they were all excellent.

Right. I even saw it at hyvee last night. It’s ok.

If I’m drinking fresh and local to Iowa City, I’m having a Juice Factory or tank puncher from ReUnion. So much better.
You're kidding, right? ReUnion? If you aren't the owner this has to be a joke.

Reactions: torbee
I was in Dubuque last week and stopped at 7 Hills. Cool place, but all three beers I tried were very average which was disappointing because I had heard good things. Oh well.

Speaking of Iowa craft beer, rumor has it that Madhouse Brewing is for sale. Their VIP, Carpe Diem and El Jefe are very good.

You're kidding, right? ReUnion? If you aren't the owner this has to be a joke.

No joke. If I had to pick between BG or Reunion, it’s Reunion every time. I haven’t had anything at Big Grove that compares to tank puncher or juice factory. Damn good beers.

If I had to choose between a trip to TG or Pulpit Rock, it’s Pulpit Rock every time and I love most TG beers.

No joke. If I had to pick between BG or Reunion, it’s Reunion every time. I haven’t had anything at Big Grove that compares to tank puncher or juice factory. Damn good beers.

If I had to choose between a trip to TG or Pulpit Rock, it’s Pulpit Rock every time and I love most TG beers.
Crazy to hear this. I think the ReUnion beers are simply average... nothing better than even BG Arms Race. Tastebuds are strange things.

I don't think you can get this beer other than on tap or in a growler, but it is the best one I've tried in the past several months:

1_7294-300x300.jpg

There are two breweries in Bettendorf now - 5 Cities and Crawford Brew Works and this is the first outstanding beer I've had from either. Crawford has a decent kolsch, though.

If it spells b e e r on the can, I will drink it.

I recall coming back from Daytona Beach years ago, and bringing back a six pack of "Harley Davidson Beer" for a colleague who was a big Harley guy.

He took one look at the can, which said in small, fine print: "Joseph Huber Brewing Co.", and said "No thanks". And that guy lived off regular Busch beer (no Busch light).

I think we used it to boil some brats in.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Big fan of Fire Skulls & Money from TG.

Then again - as with sex and pizza - it’s all pretty acceptable. :p

I really liked their xHops Gold - very inexpensive when about $6-7 a bottle, and quite tasty. Haven't seen that in a while (since they bottled), but I always picked up a few of those cheapies when I found them on shelves.

I really liked their xHops Gold - very inexpensive when about $6-7 a bottle, and quite tasty. Haven't seen that in a while (since they bottled), but I always picked up a few of those cheapies when I found them on shelves.
i haven’t tried that yet, but it’s going on my list :)

i haven’t tried that yet, but it’s going on my list :)

I haven't seen it on my last few trips back (when they still were bottling the bombers of stuff). There were several flavors of xHops: Gold, Teal, Maroon, Pink. The guys at John's Grocery said "don't bother with the others". Those were $6-7 22 oz bottles when all the other stuff was $10+, so if they do cans of it, those might still be around that same price-point, and a $7-8 4pk of that would be well worth it.

Other one I liked that was under the radar was the Thresher wheat beer (had a shark on the label). That was also priced lower, but quite tasty.

TG does have some average/mediocre stuff: Rover Truck stout (very average), Dorothy's isn't all that great, Golden Nugget (pretty average).

Also liked Hopsmack! a lot, but haven't seen much of that, either.

I had a friend get a bottle of the Assassin stout, and that stuff was thick like motor oil, but damn tasty - something to sip on from a smaller glass, as it was a heavy beer to drink in quantity. I'd love to get my hands on another one of their good stouts, but seems most of those are special event stuff.

Golden Nugget has become my go to favorite. The pseudo sue is good every once in a while, but too sweet for regular drinking.

I haven't seen it on my last few trips back (when they still were bottling the bombers of stuff). There were several flavors of xHops: Gold, Teal, Maroon, Pink. The guys at John's Grocery said "don't bother with the others". Those were $6-7 22 oz bottles when all the other stuff was $10+, so if they do cans of it, those might still be around that same price-point, and a $7-8 4pk of that would be well worth it.

Other one I liked that was under the radar was the Thresher wheat beer (had a shark on the label). That was also priced lower, but quite tasty.

TG does have some average/mediocre stuff: Rover Truck stout (very average), Dorothy's isn't all that great, Golden Nugget (pretty average).

Also liked Hopsmack! a lot, but haven't seen much of that, either.

I had a friend get a bottle of the Assassin stout, and that stuff was thick like motor oil, but damn tasty - something to sip on from a smaller glass, as it was a heavy beer to drink in quantity. I'd love to get my hands on another one of their good stouts, but seems most of those are special event stuff.
Love Hopsmack as well. Speaking of small breweries we visited Potosi this summer and it was well worth the trip - drink a lot of their tangerine ale in the summer and wanted to make sure their facilities were clean.

Planning on a return trip on New Year’s Day then heading across the border to Illinois to stock up on edibles :p

IMHO, BGB Easy Eddy is the best local brew to find (6 for $9.99 doesn’t hurt either) but TGB is a waaaaaaaaay better brewery.

ADVERTISEMENT