ADVERTISEMENT

Migrants on Martha's Vineyard flight say they were told they were going to Boston

About 50 migrants arrived by plane in Martha's Vineyard, Mass., Wednesday on a flight paid for by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and that originated in San Antonio, Texas.

The migrants touched down at about 3:15 p.m. local time. Later Wednesday, a spokesperson for DeSantis sent a statement to NPR and other news outlets confirming that the migrants were transported by Florida under a state program that was funded by the legislature earlier this year. The statement reads in part: "States like Massachusetts, New York and California will better facilitate the care of these individuals who they have invited into our country by incentivizing illegal immigration."

The Florida statement refers to two planes, but local officials at Martha's Vineyard say there was only one.

However, a number of migrants told NPR their flight originated in San Antonio, and that they were being transported to Boston.

NPR confirmed that a plane originated in San Antonio, made a stop in Florida and then another stop in South Carolina before flying on to Martha's Vineyard. But apart from that layover, the migrants NPR interviewed had not spent time in Florida.

The unannounced flight drew anger from Massachusetts officials.

"We have the governor of Florida ... hatching a secret plot to send immigrant families like cattle on an airplane," said state Sen. Dylan Fernandes, who represents Martha's Vineyard. "Ship them women and children to a place they weren't told where they were going and never alerted local officials and people on the ground here that they were coming. It is an incredibly inhumane and depraved thing to do."

Sponsor Message

NPR was able to interview three of the migrants late Wednesday. "They (the migrants) told us they had recently crossed the border in Texas and were staying at a shelter in San Antonio," NPR's Joel Rose said on today's Morning Edition.

The migrants said a woman they identified as "Perla" approached them outside the shelter and lured them into boarding the plane, saying they would be flown to Boston where they could get expedited work papers. She provided them with food. The migrants said Perla was still trying to recruit more passengers just hours before their flight.

Andres Duarte, a 30-year-old Venezuelan, said he had recently crossed the border into Texas and eventually went to a shelter in San Antonio.

"She (Perla) offered us help. Help that never arrived," Andres said. "Now we are here. We got on the plane with a vision of the future, of making it." He went on to explain why he boarded the plane with so little information in hand. "Look, when you have no money and someone offers help, well, it means a lot."

In Martha's Vineyard, the migrants are staying at a church shelter while local authorities and nonprofit organizations figure out what's going to happen next. Lisa Del Castro, who runs a homeless shelter on the island, said resources were initially scarce.

"Everything from beds to food to clothing to toothbrushes, toothpaste, blankets, sheets. I mean, we had some of it ... but we did not have the numbers that we needed."

Most of the arrivals spoke little or no English, and Spanish-speaking high school students were pressed into service as interpreters.

Edgartown Police Chief Bruce McNamee said many of the migrants were confused.

"We have talked to a number of people who've asked, 'Where am I?' And then I was trying to explain where Martha's Vineyard is."

Texas sends migrants to New York. They get a warm welcome, but life there is tough

The Wednesday flight extends a tactic by Republican politicians in primarily southern states have used to send migrants to Democrat-controlled cities in the north. Republican leaders have used this step to protest the rise in illegal immigration during President Biden's time in office, and the issue figures to be prominent in November's midterm elections.

Martha's Vineyard has a reputation as a destination for the progressive elite, and DeSantis has been regularly bringing up the island enclave at his press conferences. Republican governors in Texas and Arizona have also been transporting migrants from the border to northern cities at taxpayer expense.

Democrats and immigrant advocates say those governors are essentially using migrants as political pawns. But the governors say are simply calling attention to a very real problem.

The U.S. Border Patrol is on pace to record 2 million apprehensions in a fiscal year for the first time ever.

Del Castro, who runs the Martha's Vineyard shelter where the migrants spent the night, said the group is resilient.

"There's some really sad stories. And then some people, the only thing they were expressing is how grateful they are to be here, and to be safe, and cared for, right? And, you know, their needs are immense right now."

NPR spoke with Yesica, a migrant who gave only her first name because of her undocumented immigration status. She said she was uncertain about her future.

"Oh, goodness. I don't know what is going to happen to us," Yesica said, speaking in Spanish. "The truth is I am worried. It will be whatever God wishes, no? We're here now and there's nothing we can do."

"Not even," she added, "to take a step back."

Reactions: cigaretteman
Haha. This is weird. You are okay with lying to legal asylum seekers?
Are they better off than they were before? Is MV better than Boston? Are both better for them than any boarder town? All answers are yes. If you don't recognize that, you prioritize political games over welfare.

Reactions: Red Runney
As the days roll on, and the more learn about what DeSantis did, the worse it becomes. The fact that he chartered two planes to Texas, brought them back to Florida, where there didn't even unboard just to give the appearance they were there, then flew them thousands of miles away risking their lives through a web of lies, possible kidnapping, and putting their legal rights in jeopardy is not even political at this point. It is evil. It is freakishly evil and jaded.

As the days roll on, and the more learn about what DeSantis did, the worse it becomes. The fact that he chartered two planes to Texas, brought them back to Florida, where there didn't even unboard just to give the appearance they were there, then flew them thousands of miles away risking their lives through a web of lies, possible kidnapping, and putting their legal rights in jeopardy is not even political at this point. It is evil. It is freakishly evil and jaded.
Risking their lives??? Didn’t they march for a thousand miles through 9 countries uphill in the snow just to get here? My lord the left is full of drama queens

Actually your manufactured hurt is what is jaded.

We've now established this 3x - I care about wellfare you care about political scorecards. Would you like to repeat it a 4th time for the group or are you satisfied?
Yes. You don't give a shit about people or honesty. I'll repeat it as long as it is relevant.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yes. You don't give a shit about people or honesty. I'll repeat it as long as it is relevant.
Our track record in this thread clearly refutes that. You care more about the scorecard, I care these people are much better off than where they started or South Texas. But keep lying to yourself, I'm sure it's working well for you.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Our track record in this thread clearly refutes that. You care more about the scorecard, I care these people are much better off than where they started or South Texas. But keep lying to yourself, I'm sure it's working well for you.
Your track record indicates you don't give a shit about people - only about the right wing propaganda.

It's all yours from here.

Your track record indicates you don't give a shit about people - only about the right wing propaganda.

It's all yours from here.
Liar - the record is right here for all to read. You prioritize political points, I've stated numerous times these people are much better off where they are vs any of the other options and that is my priority. But keep lying, it's a good look on you.

Liar - the record is right here for all to read. You prioritize political points, I've stated numerous times these people are much better off where they are vs any of the other options and that is my priority. But keep lying, it's a good look on you.
I’m guessing you don’t get any taller when you get out of that well worn in gaming chair.

What I can’t understand is how when one reads that DeSantis used Florida tax dollars to fly these immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts, one doesn’t stop there and acknowledge it was just a massive publicity stunt.

GFY. Your reputation precedes you.

Funny how hostile and irrational you get when put in a corner.
LOL. What corner? You're getting called out all over the place and can only project your failings in a desperate attempt to deflect. No one buys it. But flail away - we know you will. LOL.

LOL. What corner? You're getting called out all over the place and can only project your failings in a desperate attempt to deflect. No one buys it. But flail away - we know you will. LOL.
No one has "called me out". I've pointed out these people are much better off where they are vs where they started or in some South Texas town. You can't refute that and choose to focus on political scorecards instead. You're wrong. I'm right. Have a good one and better luck next time ✌️🖕✌️

• Haha
You’re a crackhead. The US population does not see it as you do. Run on this. Please.

You should expand your views outside of the echo chamber you have chosen.
Ha. This forum is an echo chamber. The regular apolitical population does not see this is a ploy or a stunt or kidnapping or illegal. Sorry. It’s a fact. If you wanna run on this as an issue in 2022 please do. You know it isn’t a winner. Except on MV. In fact, this is a great change of topic just in time for 2022. I’ll expect more FBI charges or raids soon to change the subject. This is a democrat loser issue. Period.

• Haha
Ha. This forum is an echo chamber. The regular apolitical population does not see this is a ploy or a stunt or kidnapping or illegal. Sorry. It’s a fact. If you wanna run on this as an issue in 2022 please do. You know it isn’t a winner. Except on MV.
I didn’t say it was going to win you an election, but it’s is most certainly being called a stunt all over the place and just not at the places you touch yourself too.
Your probably beyond saving anyway, just a gargler at the sacks or trump and desantis. Better get back in there and see if you can get your tongue on their b-holes

I didn’t say it was going to win you an election, but it’s is most certainly being called a stunt all over the place and just not at the places you touch yourself too.
Your probably beyond saving anyway, just a gargler at the sacks or trump and desantis. Better get back in there and see if you can get your tongue on their b-holes
I’m trying to have an intelligent conversation you’re apparently incapable of. Sure I agree that transporting these folks to liberal jurisdictions is political. Just like AOC getting a photo of herself crying at the border detention facilities when Trump was president. These are big boy problems and DeSantis is doing what needs to be done to enact changes.

Oh and he will absolutely mop the floor with Biden or Harris if given the chance. Look you libs know he is threat to your agenda and your protestations prove it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I’m trying to have an intelligent conversation your apparently incapable of. Sure I agree that transporting these folks to liberal jurisdictions is political. Just like AOC getting a photo of herself crying at the border detention facilities when Trump was president. These are big boy problems and DeSantis is doing what needs to be done to enact changes.

Oh and he will absolutely mop the floor with Biden or Harris if given the chance. Look you libs know he is threat to your agenda and your protestations prove it.
I’m more than capable of intelligent conversation, you’ve just consistently proven yourself unworthy of it.

The only sad old man in this scenario is Biden honestly.

I’m not going to engage in personal attacks bro. But you can keep trying.

Yes. They do.

MAGAs like yourself, do not.
No joe they don’t. Biden is over 50% disapproval.

There’s a lot of wishful thinking from the left these days. Markets, inflation, immigration, supply chain, DOJ etc.

Not much longer until one of us is proven correct. We will see.

ADVERTISEMENT