ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Daniels on Gottlieb

The charge in the court of public opinion, and actual court is racism, not being a prick. Chris is no longer with the Hawkeyes or the Jaguars not because he was mean, but because the woke brigade canceled him due to racism.
Talking with past and current players, none of them (of all races) had experienced racist remarks or behavior from him, you had some that were butt hurt that they didn't do the work to get the NFL check and have to lash out because their feelings are hurt. More, not less tough love is needed today. We have an entire generation that are weak, offended by words, and have been taught to shout down vs dialogue with opposing opinions. The party of "tolerance" has taught intolerance and hate. Yay for us.

This thread is unreal. Chris Doyle was alleged to have:
  • Told a black player that he should take up rowing - but on second thought, maybe not, because black people “don’t like boats in water.”
  • Asked a black player if he gangbanged in the offseason because he didn’t run track in high school
  • Mocked black players by pulling his pants down, turning his hat backwards and making sterotypical comments.
  • Telling a biracial player at a workout in front of the entire team that he didn’t realize the player was black.
  • When a black player used the N-Word in practice, Doyle mocked the player by using it back at him.
I suppose it is possible that every player that made one of these comments is lying, but that seems rather unlikely to me. Doyle didn’t get (effectively) terminated because of “PC Culture,” or because players are “soft,” or because he got “cancelled.” If the above allegations are true, he got terminated because he was a demeaning asshat that AT BEST made inappropriate and racially insensitive comments on numerous occasions.

• Told a black player that he should take up rowing - but on second thought, maybe not, because black people “don’t like boats in water.”
  • Asked a black player if he gangbanged in the offseason because he didn’t run track in high school
  • Mocked black players by pulling his pants down, turning his hat backwards and making sterotypical comments.
  • Telling a biracial player at a workout in front of the entire team that he didn’t realize the player was black.
  • When a black player used the N-Word in practice, Doyle mocked the player by using it back at him.
I suppose it is possible that every player that made one of these comments is lying, but that seems rather unlikely to me. Doyle didn’t get (effectively) terminated because of “PC Culture,” or because players are “soft,” or because he got “cancelled.” If the above allegations are true, he got terminated because he was a demeaning asshat that AT BEST made inappropriate and racially insensitive comments on numerous occasions.
Is he guilty as of the day he was fired or not (if not, then what was he let go for other than to hush the crowd)? Is it guilty until proven innocent (this is what the butt hurt, cancel culture has created) - look at all the cases around the USA (Except Biden's) that proves it.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
alleged... and we have already seen how many of the alleged things turn out to be false or exaggerated? He's denied the allegations, strenuously.

For every wash-out story of mistreatment and racial insensitivity, there's 10 stories of guys who praised Doyle. I still think this was a knee-jerk sprit of the age reaction.

Not to be a total denier that a problem existed, and that players did feel uncomfortable and mistreated, I think its fair to say changes needed to be made and those changes likely weren't going to come from teaching an old dog new tricks. After 20 years of doing things a certain way, and the way athletes and society continue to evolve, it was maybe time for a new voice delivering the same message (training) with a different tone.

Reactions: mlb1399
What exactly is wrong with #4? There's plenty of black people that can pass as white.

This ain't it chief.

A) It's moot since the ghetto comment was retracted, but the reason it is unacceptable is the assumption that a player comes from the ghetto because he's black.

B) Both generalizations aren't acceptable from a public employee, but the first one is leagues worse, considering it's making a joke about the Atlantic Slave Trade. Sure, humor is subjective and each group of friends will have their own standards and certain lines that you can or cannot cross, but Doyle was a public employee, and the players were clearly uncomfortable with it, so that joke was totally unacceptable.
"This ain't it chief". God this phrase is so douchey.

Is he guilty as of the day he was fired or not (if not, then what was he let go for other than to hush the crowd)? Is it guilty until proven innocent (this is what the butt hurt, cancel culture has created) - look at all the cases around the USA (Except Biden's) that proves it.

alleged... and we have already seen how many of the alleged things turn out to be false or exaggerated? He's denied the allegations, strenuously.

For every wash-out story of mistreatment and racial insensitivity, there's 10 stories of guys who praised Doyle. I still think this was a knee-jerk sprit of the age reaction.

Not to be a total denier that a problem existed, and that players did feel uncomfortable and mistreated, I think its fair to say changes needed to be made and those changes likely weren't going to come from teaching an old dog new tricks. After 20 years of doing things a certain way, and the way athletes and society continue to evolve, it was maybe time for a new voice delivering the same message (training) with a different tone.
Good lord ... do you guys not believe that the veracity of many of the "alleged" comments were not confirmed before Doyle was fired?

There are plenty of witnesses who observed the comments that Doyle made.

The thing is that the guys who put in the work and trusted Doyle ... they knew that Doyle genuinely cared about them (irrespective of race, ethnicity, etc). Those guys knew/understood that Doyle isn't racist ... however, they also knew/understood that Doyle could be a dick when trying get guys to behave in a more mature fashion (and approach things the right way).

Now, over the years ... there were things done by Doyle, as isolated events, that definitely deserved chiding. However, on those occasions ... he didn't receive the rebukes he should have.

To suggest that Doyle didn't do anything wrong is misguided and misinformed. This ISN'T a reflection of a younger generation gone off the rails. This is an instance where power went unchecked ... and the resulting pattern of behavior created an environment that was hostile to plenty of guys (not just the "snowflakes" ... as some here would suggest).

The irony is that the same folks here who are complaining about the "sign of the times" ... are the same folks who will happily advocate for personal responsibility and accountability. I'm here to tell ya ... Doyle is no less responsible or accountable for his own actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAHawk2011
In today's world being a jerk is equal to racist if you are white.

The Atlanta shooting (which is horrible) was immediately labeled as a hate crime because the majority of the victims were Asian shot by a white man. The Boulder shooting (equally as horrible) was labeled a medical issue yet all victims were white and the shooter was middle-eastern.

The coddling has given the weak minded faux power with "words are weapons" and "what doesn't kill you makes you weaker".
It wasn't that long ago where it was reversed and still is in many instances. White mass killers had mental problems. Brown people were terrorist.

I am for a complete airing of all this until the end. No settlement. Do we ignore any and all that said they never heard nor saw any of this and were never treated in this manner? We need to see and hear all the evidence. I imagine a great deal is just going to be a he said this kind of deal with nothing to corroborate it.

By the way you got some interesting posting history.

I am for a complete airing of all this until the end. No settlement. Do we ignore any and all that said they never heard nor saw any of this and were never treated in this manner? We need to see and hear all the evidence. I imagine a great deal is just going to be a he said this kind of deal with nothing to corroborate it.

By the way you got some interesting posting history.

I don’t think Iowa should settle the lawsuit either. It seems to be a pretty obvious money-grab.

I don’t think Doyle is/was a racist in the sense that skin color had any impact on the way he treated players. I understand his role at Iowa was to be a hardass and do everything possible to push the kids - but any kind of joke or denigration related to race is way over the line and completely unwarranted and unacceptable. There appears to be a pattern of Doyle doing just that. There is no way Iowa let go of Doyle without doing it’s own diligence of the allegations.

Doyle is gone and Iowa football world keeps spinning, for the better in some regards it seems. Can we leave it at that?

And he wasn’t really everyone’s darling when our running game suffered for years and our lines were no longer the ‘bullies of the big ten’. Pretty sure people were calling him and our strength program out from time to time. And oh, rhabdo and racially insensitive comments aren’t little post it note entries in someone’s HR file I assume.

I agree with you there. There's a fine line between a hard ass and then going into racial comments. But I'm sure this thread will be full of guys telling us what black players should think and feel instead of listening to them.
Just listen to what Mike Daniels said.

Link it, I want to hear it. Liked her interview on Nebraska Hawks Nest.
Here it is...

1 and 2 are not ok. 3,4,5 need context and might be ok.

Micro-aggressions are what the snowflakes use to try and shame people into guilt.

Some of the psychology of micro-aggressions definitely appears to be a reach.

However, it shouldn't undermine the old adage that you should treat others as you'd hope to be treated yourself.

Some people are assholes ... and they simply don't like being called out for being assholes.

Personally, I think what sealed his fate with Iowa was the public statement he put out that essentially said "I did nothing wrong". If he had either said nothing or better yet come out with the same tone as Kirk recognizing that while there may not have been racial intent, perception matters and he needed to take a look in the mirror and self-assess, I believe he would likely still be in Iowa City.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
ADVERTISEMENT