ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach concept of NIL

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
Leach,head coach at Miss.St, voiced his approach to NIL ECT yesterday at SEC media days.
His plan:
Players declare before entering college that they want to be either:
1. College student-athlete with the guaranteed scholly, stipends, and normal perks they get today. They cannot transfer without sitting a year.
Or
2. Declare as a pro athlete and get NIL money and ability to be a free agent like now.
But they can be cut and they have restricted movement at year end. No guaranteed scholly or stipend.
His point is that right now the pendulum has swung too far allowing these players all the perks of pros without any of the negatives.
As he said it is 365 day free agency right now which the NFL would never allow.
It is a bit radical but he thinks many players would still opt for the security of the old system with education as the main carrot.
Leach is off the wall but he is not dumb.

Last edited:
Regardless of one’s opinion of Leach himself, his comments here are intriguing. There seem to be few checks and balances in place today that effectively keep tampering, exploitation, and other shadiness in check. Having transparent and consistent rules that everyone has to adhere to would be a massive improvement. Not saying Leach’s are perfect but having a framework around scholarships (and some NIL) vs NIL (and no scholarship) is intriguing.

The guy makes $5.5M a year and is crying that the players have too much power. What a f'n joke.

How about a rule that coaches can't have a contract longer than one year? They want all the perks of being a pro without any of the negatives.

Even if you don’t like or even respect the man, he’s onto a few thought-provoking points worthy of further discussion. But this is why debate is dead in America. Not liking someone = dismiss their ideas with disdain. Judge ideas by their source, not their merits.

He also mentioned that pro players do not get to choose their destination. They get drafted and are tied to that team for a number of years.
He did suggest a draft for these college "pro "players to even the playing field.

Last edited:
Its just plain stupid that the B1G doesn’t come out and innovate a system outside of the NCAA for football/mbb that either has athletes sign a contract or has media partners sharing revenue with the athletes and more restrictive transfer rules.

They’re going to do nothing until a court makes them, and there’s no will to compete seriously in this new age of NIL for some reason. Its endlessly frustrating to be a fan in this league.

The guy makes $5.5M a year and is crying that the players have too much power. What a f'n joke.

How about a rule that coaches can't have a contract longer than one year? They want all the perks of being a pro without any of the negatives.
Why do coaches get paid millions of dollars by colleges?

What is the purpose of doing that?

Reactions: TKingpin
I'm not sure if his idea is practical, but I agree that things have swung way too far in the players favor. Personally, college athletics, as we know is gone or will be soon. The current NIL process will continue to expand the "haves" and "have nots."

I would like a NIL system similar to what Iowa trying to develop. All scholarship athletics equally share a stipend for spending money. Since athletics can't work in the summer they do need some spending money.

All this NIL money and has anybody seen an actual college athlete in a national ad? Or even a local ad?

This is going to be awesome when a place like Texas A&M still can’t get over the hump and the big NIL donors start publicly lashing out at the players they paid.

also the locker room is going to get spicy when a freshman walks in with 6-7 figure deal while the lineman busting his ass for years is getting damn near nothing.

I think NIL is a big factor right now for certain athletes, but I could see this eventually fizzling out as the money spent will equalize over time when they realize it won't necessarily affect the respective team's success. Only one team each season wins the national championship, and as we've seen at the monied/blue blood programs, the donors have almost no patience when they are not winning it all. This will be further amplified because of the large sums of money involved at some schools, and it may get quite ugly over time.

All this NIL money and has anybody seen an actual college athlete in a national ad? Or even a local ad?

This is going to be awesome when a place like Texas A&M still can’t get over the hump and the big NIL donors start publicly lashing out at the players they paid.

also the locker room is going to get spicy when a freshman walks in with 6-7 figure deal while the lineman busting his ass for years is getting damn near nothing.
Are you kidding that you haven't seen the amazing Pat McCaffrey/Falbo's ad??

Now that the Div 1 council is trying to get rid of the 1 time transfer rule and allow players to be immediately eligible, NCAA players now have more freedom than pro athletes or coaches. At least the coach or pro has to wait out a certain period of time. I think that is what ML is getting at. If we are going to to pay 6-7 figure deals then lets not pretend they arent pro athletes.

Now that the Div 1 council is trying to get rid of the 1 time transfer rule and allow players to be immediately eligible, NCAA players now have more freedom than pro athletes or coaches. At least the coach or pro has to wait out a certain period of time. I think that is what ML is getting at. If we are going to to pay 6-7 figure deals then lets not pretend they arent pro athletes.
Maybe I'm naive, but won't the player have to finish out the term in order to stay eligible. It is not as if they can pick up and move mid-term.

Maybe I'm naive, but won't the player have to finish out the term in order to stay eligible. It is not as if they can pick up and move mid-term.
Maybe, but you are looking at a semester being 4 months and then they can leave. Or they could leave mid-semester and take a withdraw and not affect their GPA.

Maybe, but you are looking at a semester being 4 months and then they can leave. Or they could leave mid-semester and take a withdraw and not affect their GPA.
Withdrawing would drop them below full-time status. I'm assuming that would do exactly what I'm speaking of without a waiver of sorts. I just don't see how this changes things that drastically in comparison to what is already in place.

Withdrawing would drop them below full-time status. I'm assuming that would do exactly what I'm speaking of without a waiver of sorts. I just don't see how this changes things that drastically in comparison to what is already in place.
It changes things by allowing players to play for 4 or 5 teams in their college career and not sitting out at all. What ML is proposing is allowing schools to drop a athlete like they can drop a school.

It changes things by allowing players to play for 4 or 5 teams in their college career and not sitting out at all. What ML is proposing is allowing schools to drop a athlete like they can drop a school.
In all honesty, is it not that way basically right now? Jones is on to his 3rd school, Nebraska's former RB will be on to his 3rd. There will likely always be a waiver.

In all honesty, is it not that way basically right now? Jones is on to his 3rd school, Nebraska's former RB will be on to his 3rd. There will likely always be a waiver.
Sorta, usually need an excuse each time like grad transfer, hardship etc. With this, they can leave no questions asked. Life will get alot more difficult for coaches. You spend the time recruiting a kid, developing him only to have some school with more money take them. You could do that before but this would make it easier. Seems like a game you have to play. If you get poached you will have to poach or you lose. Iowa being a great developmental program will be easy pickins.

Sorta, usually need an excuse each time like grad transfer, hardship etc. With this, they can leave no questions asked. Life will get alot more difficult for coaches. You spend the time recruiting a kid, developing him only to have some school with more money take them. You could do that before but this would make it easier. Seems like a game you have to play. If you get poached you will have to poach or you lose. Iowa being a great developmental program will be easy pickins.
With the 1 time waiver already in place, Iowa should be easy pickings already. Last year however, Iowa had one of the lowest transfer rates in the country. It will certainly be ebb and flow, but I can't say I'm worried right now at all about Iowa being a "feeder" program

Reactions: Ree4
I wonder how the brilliant Leach would control movement of millionaire coaches . . . LOL

Leach, IMHO, is . . . how shall we put it . . . a nut. Yah, that's it. :)
Coaches can be fired and they can quit. Players can quit but not be fired.

I'm not understanding your logic

Did he say he against players being paid well??

Players names aren't worth shit, the whole concept is a total joke!! Without a school tied to their name nobody is gonna give them a dime. Just pay them for playing and get rid of the bs :)

ADVERTISEMENT