ADVERTISEMENT

Mike O'Brien, KCRG, Also Leaves

GOHOX69

HR Legend
Sep 26, 2009
First Josh Christensen, now Mike O'Brien. Only Scott Saville left. Never heard of a major sports station with one sports dude.

What will they do when the cops finally catch up with Saville?

KCRG are a shell of what they used to be, and I wouldn't let Saville within 15 feet of my 11 yr old daughter....dude comes off as a crreeeeppppp. He has a let me take my shirt off and play find the pickle...later on after the cameras leave vibe on blast...he and his elfin ears can go the f away.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69
KCRG doesn't do sports, they do exactly 3 minutes of nothing anyone cares about. MLB scores? Forget it. NFL scores? Forget it. CPU vs Saville in push-up challenge? Alright! I'm guessing their sports dept can't afford more than 1 reporter anyway, if you can call them a reporter.

And this mornings segment included a story about Norway baseball and Kernels highlights. Awesome!

Reactions: GOHOX69
The television news industry today is where newspapers were about 10 years ago.

The death spiral *might* still be avoidable with a successful pivot to digital, but the fact they are paralleling the newspaper chains’ “fixes” — a rush to shitcan well-paid competent journalists with underpaid kids who lack experience - tells me they won’t be any more successful at holding off the inevitable collapse.

The television news industry today is where newspapers were about 10 years ago.

The death spiral *might* still be avoidable with a successful pivot to digital, but the fact they are paralleling the newspaper chains’ “fixes” — a rush to shitcan well-paid competent journalists with underpaid kids who lack experience - tells me they won’t be any more successful at holding off the inevitable collapse.

not to mention the giving it away for free on the net, Facebook live

There is also the newspaper impact, cause like any TV is doing their own work. As newspaper shrink TV has less to leech from.

Reactions: torbee
He is way too creepy with teenage girls during his athlete of the week segments. Many people are talking about it here.
This from the guy who defended Brian Joens because some friends had said how good a guy he is. Consider the source people.

Isn't the point of local news? To cover local stories?
Yep, but that was the 3 minute sports segment- Nothing about Hawks in the NFL yesterday, nothing about MLB that locals might support, nothing bout Iowa FB practices as fans may be interested. But I get it, you're being contrarian as usual.

About "what to cover for local sports?"...

No HS football sports active yet. Hawks and Clones football not playing yet. You have the Kernals...meh, not exactly going to move the needle much there even though they're high-A now.

In a couple weeks there will be PLENTY to cover.

And as far as the Creeper line of view with Saville, I've caught his act with the girls before, and yes, I get why some people will have that opinion of him. But given I too have to occasionally interact with school girls of all ages given my job (I'm a school bus driver in my semi-retirement) including girls' sports teams...I am curious how a sports broadcaster who is required to interact with HS girls to make a story for the local news is supposed to act around them?

I have been around HS girls sports for over 2 years now. I can tell you they are goofballs for the most part when not in a game or practice setting. They have senses of humor, and generally in any situation most all of them want to not be bored to death with the same old same old. They want to have fun, pardoning the Cindi Lauper reference.

You should see a group of 20 or so HS girls together in a somewhat informal non-game setting. There's a lot of silliness occurring - quite hilarious to see in person. You will, if required to be in that setting for a short period of time, have to at the very least learn how to interact with them. So, trying to have a little bit of fun with it and not acting like Fossilized Grandpa or Uptight Dad or Jaded Teacher probably is a good idea.

So...what is Saville supposed to do exactly, to try and get a 5 minute or so story done on an athlete of the week type? I'm assuming that considering he's been doing these for a long time now, the girls themselves like doing them overall. It's free publicity for themselves and the school/team, gets them on TV in a more personal setting - so, why not?

How would YOU guys do it?

About "what to cover for local sports?"...

No HS football sports active yet. Hawks and Clones football not playing yet. You have the Kernals...meh, not exactly going to move the needle much there even though they're high-A now.

In a couple weeks there will be PLENTY to cover.

And as far as the Creeper line of view with Saville, I've caught his act with the girls before, and yes, I get why some people will have that opinion of him. But given I too have to occasionally interact with school girls of all ages given my job (I'm a school bus driver in my semi-retirement) including girls' sports teams...I am curious how a sports broadcaster who is required to interact with HS girls to make a story for the local news is supposed to act around them?

I have been around HS girls sports for over 2 years now. I can tell you they are goofballs for the most part when not in a game or practice setting. They have senses of humor, and generally in any situation most all of them want to not be bored to death with the same old same old. They want to have fun, pardoning the Cindi Lauper reference.

You should see a group of 20 or so HS girls together in a somewhat informal non-game setting. There's a lot of silliness occurring - quite hilarious to see in person. You will, if required to be in that setting for a short period of time, have to at the very least learn how to interact with them. So, trying to have a little bit of fun with it and not acting like Fossilized Grandpa or Uptight Dad or Jaded Teacher probably is a good idea.

So...what is Saville supposed to do exactly, to try and get a 5 minute or so story done on an athlete of the week type? I'm assuming that considering he's been doing these for a long time now, the girls themselves like doing them overall. It's free publicity for themselves and the school/team, gets them on TV in a more personal setting - so, why not?

How would YOU guys do it?
First off, it's more like a 90 second story, the whole sports segment rarely gets 5 minutes. If it was me I'd interview the coach, athlete, and maybe teammates, show a few game or practice highlights and call it a story. Not focus on the games of horse where if you miss a shot you have to remove an article of clothing or blind-folded wrestling in a baby-pool full of pudding. I exaggerate, but that is the vibe I get whenever he does his gimmick.

First off, it's more like a 90 second story, the whole sports segment rarely gets 5 minutes. If it was me I'd interview the coach, athlete, and maybe teammates, show a few game or practice highlights and call it a story. Not focus on the games of horse where if you miss a shot you have to remove an article of clothing or blind-folded wrestling in a baby-pool full of pudding. I exaggerate, but that is the vibe I get whenever he does his gimmick.

Well, Like I say, I don't really watch much of local news any more. But when I did, I watched KCRG. From memory, I always thought they'd highlight why they were nominated, then comes the personal follow-up story with Saville.

I just watched a bunch of these stories. Here's a synopsis of a few...

Austin Hilmer (male, basketball) - half court shooting contest with his father/coach, loser having to do bear crawl killers.

Anna Nacos (female, golfer) - since he lost a challenge to her older sister in an earlier award, he challenged her grandma to a putting contest - loser had to make animal noises (the family are farmers).

Miyako Coffey (female, tennis) - challenge was him serving an ace to her - loser (Saville) had to be a ballboy in front of the team firing tennis balls at him at once.

Gabe Yetley (boys soccer) - challenge was shots on goal to a coach hitting them for accuracy. 1st one to miss got shots kicked at them "butts up" by the whole team at once.

Every spot showed pretty much exactly what you asked for. Game action, practice action, "just the facts interview", etc...a review of their season/successes, teammates/coaches/parents interviewed, etc. Lasted anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes long. The stories more or less were somewhat similar challenges-wise be them female or male - and some were a bit more serious involving teammates lost (died), etc and had no challenges.

Pretty much every athlete, male or female, had a fabulous smile on their faces the entire time. Looks like to me, they love the attention and the format, which is to more or less embarrass Saville more than anything else by him losing the challenge.

Never saw a single, even remotely close, creeper moment. If one wants to call them repetitive, sure - after all, been doing them for years and years now. But my bet is every athlete knows what they're getting into with these, and have fun doing them.

Again, I don't see the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT