ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Pompeo in Iowa on Russia's Vladimir Putin: 'You shouldn't pretend your enemy is weak'

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
What a POS. Worst Secretary of State Ever!:

China and America's political left are the greatest threats to the nation, said former U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Wednesday in Iowa — reigniting speculation he plans a 2024 bid.

The Chinese "want to tell the story about an American decline, and that's not true. We can't let it be true," Pompeo said before taking the stage at an event sponsored by the Bastion Institute, a new political organization that aims to promote 'strengthening America’s leadership and standing on the international stage.'

Iowa deserves leaders who will fight for conservative values, Pompeo suggested.

"That hard work should be rewarded, that we are a Judeo-Christian nation, that our schools shouldn't teach that we are racist, that we should prosecute criminals."

"It's crazy what's going on in California," Pompeo said.

Pompeo was joined by U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst and Terry Branstad, the former Chinese ambassador and Iowa governor. The three discussed the escalation between Russia and Ukraine, the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, NATO, and foreign policy regarding China and Iran.

They all relayed a unified message: "America first."

More:Russian President Vladimir Putin announces military operation in Ukraine

In between applause from the audience, each politician took shots at President Joe Biden's administration, claiming that under his leadership, America has looked weak to foreign leaders.

"I think both the Chinese and the Russians really only respect strength," Branstad said.

"What happened in Afghanistan was a debacle, and that showed weakness."

The panel comes the same week Russia began moving troops into parts of eastern Ukraine and the Biden administration and U.S. allies announced a first wave of sweeping sanctions.

Pompeo has faced criticism for his praise of Putin as a leader. In a Feb. 18 interview with the Center for the National Interest, Pompeo described Putin as "very savvy" and "very shrewd."

"I consider him an elegantly sophisticated counterpart and one who is not reckless but has always done the math," Pompeo said in the interview.

At a Wednesday news conference, U.S. State Department spokesperson Ned Price was asked to respond to Pompeo's and Trump's praise of Putin.

"I have no response. In fact I have no words," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT