ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Trout vs Ken Griffey

Trout has approximately a season less of games, but 7.3 more WAR. What's the biggest factor? A lot more walks?

Way more baseball fans watched Griffey than will end up watching Trout and the sh*t teams he's been on. I feel bad for all the baseball fans that didn't get to see young/peak Trout.
You aren’t going to see many 6-2 240 pound center fielders with that speed and explosiveness come around very often

he could be an nfl linebacker

Trout has approximately a season less of games, but 7.3 more WAR. What's the biggest factor? A lot more walks?

i believe WAR is weighted compared to what others were doing in the league at the same time. Trout’s stats are more of an outlier but that may be because Griffey played in the steroid hay day. Plus Trout has a much better OBP.

Way more baseball fans watched Griffey than will end up watching Trout and the sh*t teams he's been on. I feel bad for all the baseball fans that didn't get to see young/peak Trout.
I saw him when he played for the CR Kernals. Man among boys. To understand just how hard baseball is, I also saw Byron Buxton in CR and his numbers were better than Trout's there.

I saw him when he played for the CR Kernals. Man among boys. To understand just how hard baseball is, I also saw Byron Buxton in CR and his numbers were better than Trout's there.

I did an internship summer of 2010 in CR and the last day they took everyone to a Kernels game. Some partner in the firm (who I thought was a dork) was raving about this Mike Trout guy all the way to the game. I'd never heard of him before and just assumed the partner was some old guy that was a little too caught up in single A baseball.

Well after about three innings it was pretty clear that Trout was the best baseball player I had ever seen in person. Usually guys don't stand out on a baseball field like that. His speed was incredible, he was making diving plays all over the place, stretching out extra bases like it was a little league game. I'll never forget it. Man among boys is exactly right.

Idk about the metrics but I feel Trout is a better fielder. Junior would make some crazy spectacular plays. But he isn't as solid of a defender as Trout.
That's just me seeing them in person several games in their primes.

Trout's consistency in center is probably the most overlooked aspect of his game. I'm not sure where he ranks now, but he was near the top, all-time, in fielding % for CFs not long ago. Griffey Jr. had all of Trout's flash and ability in the field. He wasn't quite as bulletproof when it came to committing errors though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT