ADVERTISEMENT

Military guys

Wahawk56

HR Legend
Aug 31, 2004
Hey, I'm giving serious though to joining the military. What kind of non combat jobs are there that I could do?

Hey, I'm giving serious though to joining the military. What kind of non combat jobs are there that I could do?
Do you have a degree already? If you do and what it is in would bear upon that. I was a cost analyst in the Air Force and really enjoyed my service. Left because I wanted to pursue further education out of that career path and my wife didn't want to move every three years when we started a family. Everyone is partial to the branch they served, but I would strongly recommend the Air Force.

Reactions: I4cy
Do you have a degree already? If you do and what it is in would bear upon that. I was a cost analyst in the Air Force and really enjoyed my service. Left because I wanted to pursue further education out of that career path and my wife didn't want to move every three years when we started a family. Everyone is partial to the branch they served, but I would strongly recommend the Air Force.

Air Force or chair force........

Amiright

I just got a liberal arts associates
You would go through OTS (officer training school) if you make it past the entry physical and are selected for it. I am pretty sure how it would work is that you select your top 5 choices for career and your top 5 bases for your first assignment and they do their best, while of course first addressing the needs of the Air Force, to match you where your selections meet at the highest point. I am sure they have website out there to answer questions you might have.

You would go through OTS (officer training school) if you make it past the entry physical and are selected for it. I am pretty sure how it would work is that you select your top 5 choices for career and your top 5 bases for your first assignment and they do their best, while of course first addressing the needs of the Air Force, to match you where your selections meet at the highest point. I am sure they have website out there to answer questions you might have.
Does he have to do basic training? Wahawks, how old are you?

Air Force or Navy and anything high tech...communications equipment, radar systems, computer systems, etc.

Unless you're an adrenaline junkie, do not go into the Army or Marines. If you are, go Airborne and request RASP (Ranger Assessment and Selection Program) or check into if the still have the enlistment program for SF.

Even with that, I'd still suggest the AF or Navy. Better duty, better living conditions, better civilian skills acquisition.

Air Force or Navy and anything high tech...communications equipment, radar systems, computer systems, etc.

Unless you're an adrenaline junkie, do not go into the Army or Marines. If you are, go Airborne and request RASP (Ranger Assessment and Selection Program) or check into if the still have the enlistment program for SF.

Even with that, I'd still suggest the AF or Navy. Better duty, better living conditions, better civilian skills acquisition.
" I want to lead a life of excitement and danger, I want to be an airborne ranger. "
I would recommend the Air Force as I often wish I had not left after four years.

How does one become like Denzel in the equalizer?

Does he have to do basic training? Wahawks, how old are you?
Yes, OTS is like basic training and ROTC compressed into one experience. I have not done it but that was the setting, albeit for the Navy, in An Officer and a Gentleman.

I was in the USMC and loved every minute of it. Got some greats skills and had a blast. As others have said it really depends on what you want to do. I would lean towards the air force if you want it to be like a civilian job.

How does one become like Denzel in the equalizer?

You said you didn't want a combat job....

I'm not sure if you could go to OTS with just an AA, but if you can that's awesome. It seems like you don't know what you want to do, well the military will tell you what to do. Plus you will get training and education to be what you want eventually. Until then, serve your country, see the world, and meet people.

I have all types of military ppl in my family. My dad was drafted during Vietnam and was a gunner on the Huey's. My brother in law was in the national guard and my brother went to the Academy in Colorado Springs. His experience was different than my dad and bro in law. He worked in intelligence in Maryland and then became a pilot. He ended his 20 year career behind a desk in charge of emergency management. He's 45 and is running a bed and breakfast while he's getting his masters degree in Daytona.

Had I not had my daughter I would've went in after I graduated college.

Ps. My dad (who was Army) never wanted his kids to go into the military, but if we really wanted to he said you should go Air Force.

You said you didn't want a combat job....

I'm not sure if you could go to OTS with just an AA, but if you can that's awesome. It seems like you don't know what you want to do, well the military will tell you what to do. Plus you will get training and education to be what you want eventually. Until then, serve your country, see the world, and meet people.

I have all types of military ppl in my family. My dad was drafted during Vietnam and was a gunner on the Huey's. My brother in law was in the national guard and my brother went to the Academy in Colorado Springs. His experience was different than my dad and bro in law. He worked in intelligence in Maryland and then became a pilot. He ended his 20 year career behind a desk in charge of emergency management. He's 45 and is running a bed and breakfast while he's getting his masters degree in Daytona.

Had I not had my daughter I would've went in after I graduated college.

Ps. My dad (who was Army) never wanted his kids to go into the military, but if we really wanted to he said you should go Air Force.
I glossed over the part about the associates degree. Pretty sure they require a 4-year degree at a minimum. You could still enlist and work towards becoming an officer or stay enlisted. People don't realize this but at least in the Air Force, many upper level sergeants are very well educated and have masters degrees.

I was a cost analyst in the Air Force and really enjoyed my service. Left because I wanted to pursue further education out of that career path and my wife didn't want to move every three years when we started a family.

Were you a base level cost analyst or did you work in acquisition?

My HR circles are telling me that straight Military enlistment is one of the worst career paths possible right now. No offense, just sharing what I'm hearing.

If you go Army and deploy....there is no such thing as a "noncombat" MOS. I'd assume the Marines are the same way.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to lose some significant weight to even join. My brother looked into joining the army as a physician to pay for med school, and they wanted him to get to 205 or so at 6'4". There may be some exceptions if you're really muscular. I'm not an expert on such things.

There are two options. Height/weight scale or the tape test. If you are in good shape and work out you shouldnt have a problem.

OTS\OCS requires a Bachelor's.

BCT and AIT are required, with a degree (even an AA) you may be able to get higher rank when you join.

Non-combat jobs, well you could be recruiter (if you like being hated most of your career) or you could go for some sort of processing (MEPS) MOS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT