ADVERTISEMENT

Miller and Condon

I’ve known Mitch for years!! Grew up with him actually and you couldn’t be more wrong here. Players love him and he is a great coach!! He’s had success everywhere he’s been. Suprised he hasn’t sent the college coaching route yet tbh! Call me crazy but confidence is something i want in a coach.
Why wouldn’t the players love him? They get to play with an edge, woof at opponents, seemingly no repercussions for PF or questionable plays. Confidence is a desired trait and all coaches have some degree of it. If it’s coupled with teaching discipline and a clean, hard hitting brand of football then that is a strong combination. It appears there are some challenges in that area.
Tacit approval of those actions is not much different than teaching those tactics.

It's a dirty play, and you can't defend that. He deserves a punishment of some sort.

That being said, Ben isn't a bad kid at all. He made a bad decision. He's an 18 year old kid. I'm sure everyone here never made a bad decision when they were 18. I anticipate he'll shape up and play clean for the rest of the season. In a game where emotions were clearly charged up, he did something he's not proud of.

Fvck that guy. If that were my boy id waiting for his ass after the game with a crow bar. I hope he never plays at Iowa.
He's 6-3, 220 and a wrestling world champion.... Might wanna pack more than a crow bar😂.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dowling was taking cheap shots and saying racist things but whether it was intentional or not I don't care if he plays at Iowa... If he wants to wrestle then he should wrestle, I'd prefer a player totally focused on football and have total confidence Phil can find a replacement. It did look pretty bush league to me

WOTS is that some Dowling players were indeed doling out punches, pokes and nut grabs in the piles, so I understand the growing frustration of the ICH players. In particular their D Lineman Rumley who got worked over by Kueter in the state wrestling finals was going after Ben. Regardless, there's no excuse for any of it and the refs and coaches need to address it going forward.

You personally know the Brands? Think not.
I used to think the Brands were aholes and took things too far. Ever since they have been coaches at Iowa, I have been impressed with their demeanor and how they represent the program. Tom especially, Terry can still be wound pretty tight.

You personally know the Brands? Think not.
These idiots who rip on Tom and Terry with these insane criticisms show themselves to be completely clueless. Tom and Terry have to be the most misunderstood coaches in wrestling, if not college sports as a whole. They're obviously intense, competitive, and driven to excel, but they're also two of the friendliest guys you'll ever meet. Generous, loyal, humble, and extremely disciplined. Huge family guys, and completely devoted husbands and fathers. And they coach their guys as if they were their own sons.

I don't say these things to put them on some kind of pedestal or blow smoke -- it's just who they are, yet countless yahoos who hate Iowa love to pretend they're some kind of villains. They just aren't. Sure, they'll coach their guys up to kick your ass and they'll fight like hell for them in competition, but that's as far as it goes.

So it's highly ironic when these know-nothing Iowa haters try to convince themselves that our coaches are "the bad guys". They just aren't, and it's especially rich when one like the knucklehead in this thread claims that a dirty player would "fit right in" with them. The truth, of course, is exactly the opposite of that. A dirty wrestler wouldn't last long with Tom and Terry.

I hope Ben learns from this error in judgment and matures, as he is likely to do. If he brings the effort, self-discipline, and team-first attitude, our coaches will do everything in their power to help him develop into the best heavyweight on the planet.

Last edited:
Fvck that guy. If that were my boy id waiting for his ass after the game with a crow bar. I hope he never plays at Iowa.

UntimelyHauntingAchillestang-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Dowling kid got EMBARRASSED in the finals last year by Ben. Must've thought being dirty in a football game was his chance at redemption.

Dowling kid got EMBARRASSED in the finals last year by Ben. Must've thought being dirty in a football game was his chance at redemption.

I watched some of the game to see what all the hullabaloo was about and one of the announcers said he and Kueter have had some "battles" over the years. Other than Naaktghboren from Marion their freshman year, no Iowa kid has been able to stay with Kueter.

Also, Kueter's play wasn't even the worse one from an optics standpoint.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
These idiots who rip on Tom and Terry with these insane criticisms show themselves to be completely clueless. Tom and Terry have to be the most misunderstood coaches in wrestling, if not college sports as a whole. They're obviously intense, competitive, and driven to excel, but they're also two of the friendliest guys you'll ever meet. Generous, loyal, humble, and extremely disciplined. Huge family guys, and completely devoted husbands and fathers. And they coach their guys as if they were their own sons.

I don't say these things to put them on some kind of pedestal or blow smoke -- it's just who they are, yet countless yahoos who hate Iowa love to pretend they're some kind of villains. They just aren't. Sure, they'll coach their guys up to kick your ass and they'll fight like hell for them in competition, but that's as far as it goes.

So it's highly ironic when these know-nothing Iowa haters try to convince themselves that our coaches are "the bad guys". They just aren't, and it's especially rich when one like the knucklehead in this thread claims that a dirty player would "fit right in" with them. The truth, of course, is exactly the opposite of that. A dirty wrestler wouldn't last long with Tom and Terry.

I hope Ben learns from this error in judgment and matures, as he is likely to do. If he brings the effort, self-discipline, and team-first attitude, our coaches will do everything in their power to help him develop into the best heavyweight on the planet.
If Tom and Terry were supposedly dirty, wouldn't their wrestlers use dirty tactics? I haven't seen anything like that.

ADVERTISEMENT