ADVERTISEMENT

Mini-series recommendations

funksouljon

HR Heisman
Jan 26, 2004
STL area
Recently stumbled into two shows that I've enjoyed. Both on Netflix. Not sure if they get a second season cause Netflix is Netflix sometimes.

• Midnight Mass - dark, slow but well done show about a guy with substance issues returns home and finds how dark his home town has become. Also some serious nonsecular discussion topics.
  • Inside Man - also short miniseries. Guy in prison helps solve crimes (its a stretch, but Stanley Tucci and Atkins Estimond's interactions are great). Still watching, but first 2 Es are good.

I like limited run miniseries, longer than a movie, but don't need to drag out a limited arc show to just get money.

Anyone have miniseries they have found and liked?

Reactions: Finance85
The Patient was good. Steve Carrell shows he can handle a dramatic role.

I think it's on Hulu

Definitely want to see this show!

edit - Little Miss Sunshine really showed he had acting range, so was excited to see him in an even more dramatic role.

Last edited:
We Own This City, mini series on HBO Max. Sort of The Wire-adjacent if you like that. Based on a true story.

Reactions: hexumhawk
p7519_p_v8_aa.jpg

MV5BZGRmNWJlZjktMWNjMC00YTAzLWFkM2YtNzFiMzVjYjc5ZTBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

1-569024085.jpg

EDQd9UZXYAQtIB-.png

Sense8 on Netflix was good. It’s a series and a movie to wrap it up, as it was canceled and fan support brought it back to tie up the loose ends

Chernobyl should be at the top of your list. Followed by We Own This City like @Nole Lou suggested.

And of course Band of Brothers, but I'm assuming you've already watched that. If not, drop everything you're doing and start.
Chernobyl and Band of Brothers are the GOATs.

I liked We Own This City but felt like it was rushed and there should have been a few more episodes

Chernobyl and Band of Brothers are the GOATs.

I liked We Own This City but felt like it was rushed and there should have been a few more episodes
I agree 100% but Jon Bernthal's performance makes up for the rushed ending.

Reactions: Bro D
Recently stumbled into two shows that I've enjoyed. Both on Netflix. Not sure if they get a second season cause Netflix is Netflix sometimes.

• Midnight Mass - dark, slow but well done show about a guy with substance issues returns home and finds how dark his home town has become. Also some serious nonsecular discussion topics.
  • Inside Man - also short miniseries. Guy in prison helps solve crimes (its a stretch, but Stanley Tucci and Atkins Estimond's interactions are great). Still watching, but first 2 Es are good.

I like limited run miniseries, longer than a movie, but don't need to drag out a limited arc show to just get money.

Anyone have miniseries they have found and liked?

In addition to those:

Good Omens (technically they are doing a second season from scratch but the original season covers the entirety of the book)
Good Lord Bird
Squid Game
Chernobyl

Reactions: funksouljon
In addition to those:

Good Omens (technically they are doing a second season from scratch but the original season covers the entirety of the book)
Good Lord Bird
Squid Game
Chernobyl

Liked Squid Games. Haven't heard of the first 2. Not sure I know about Chernobyl either (other than documentaries on the event / location).

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Plot Against America on HBO. Alternate history miniseries based on Philip Roth novel where Charles Lindbergh runs for president in 1940 defeating FDR after campaigning to keep America out of the war. Series follows Jewish family as Holocaust creeps into America.

I'm good for a Band of Brothers re-watch once every year or two.. but need to do another Chernobyl. That series was something else
I do an annual band of brothers binge and have watched Chernobyl twice so far. Cathouse is pretty good too.

I watched a really good one recently on AppleTV called Bad Sisters. From Ireland. Very dark comedy that is also kind of a whodunnit. It is pretty hilarious and one of those rare shows that when it ends, you say: that makes sense and is gratifying. Plus, kind of cool, Bono's daughter is in it.

I did! Liked it, he was creepy. Something about it was flat. Like I said, good, but there was something off but it's been years since I saw it so can't really enunciate what it was.

I think he is a very underrated actor.
There was something off because John DuPont was a nutbag. I thought he played the role great.

• Haha
Reactions: funksouljon
Occurred to me, another one I stumbled onto. SO far it's a miniseries with 1 season, may expand.

Night Sky - JK Simons and Sissy Spacek - They find something in their basement that is otherworldly. Turns out it isn't what they thought it was.

Mare of Eastown- best one I have seen in a while
We Own This City
White Lotus- quirky but well done
Little Fires Everywhere
Chernobyl

Not a mini-series but I thought The Sinner was really good. 4 different seasons with 4 completely different stories.

ADVERTISEMENT