ADVERTISEMENT

Minneapolis City Council members pressed Chief Medaria Arradondo for a plan to address crime in their wards.

Or, maybe, just maybe, a more professional police force. Wouldn't that be novel?
So what are you waiting for? Get started!

Here's a job for you.
Recently, the council took more than $1 million from the police budget to hire “violence interrupters” to intervene and defuse potentially violent confrontations.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
So what are you waiting for? Get started!

Here's a job for you.
Recently, the council took more than $1 million from the police budget to hire “violence interrupters” to intervene and defuse potentially violent confrontations.

Beautiful plan there.

Sir, I can see you’re upset that I wish to arrest you for having outstanding warrants. Fear not! Give me a sec. I’ll get the VI down here. By the time he’s done with you, we’ll walk into jail together. Hand in hand.

Governor Jesse Ventura, Senator Al Franken & the Minneapolis City Council,... common thread?

300? I can't find that number. Got a link?
You live there and not aware of any of the below.........

A group of north Minneapolis residents is suing the city to compel it to maintain the legal minimum of police officers on the force. Group members say the number of cops has already dropped below that level. However, city officials say currently the department's staffing more than meets the standard set by the city charter.

The suit is based on media reports of the number of officers who’ve left the force so far this year. In July the city reported that 111 officers had taken leaves of absence. Brian Peters, head of the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, said a few hundred more officers are expected to take leave by the end of the year.

But the council has already made cuts to the current police budget. And Mayor Jacob Frey’s proposed 2021 budget will not fill 100 open positions in the Police Department.

A group of north Minneapolis residents is suing the city to compel it to maintain the legal minimum of police officers on the force. Group members say the number of cops has already dropped below that level. However, city officials say currently the department's staffing more than meets the standard set by the city charter.

The suit is based on media reports of the number of officers who’ve left the force so far this year. In July the city reported that 111 officers had taken leaves of absence. Brian Peters, head of the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, said a few hundred more officers are expected to take leave by the end of the year.

But the council has already made cuts to the current police budget. And Mayor Jacob Frey’s proposed 2021 budget will not fill 100 open positions in the Police Department.

But if they were more professional they wouldn't have left even after their bosses vowed to eliminate their positions.

Take for example any company that's ever announced layoffs in advance and what happens? The better/best employees are able to find work elsewhere while the more marginal employees are left behind struggling to find other work.

Apply that to the city council vowing to disband the PD. Better/best cops leave for other PDs and you're left with more marginal officers. They'll no doubt have trouble finding good candidates.

Now they're demanding answers on how to solve a problem they created.

So I'll ask @SoMplsHawkI. If you were one of the better candidates in your profession, would you want to apply for a job where you are looked down upon by higher ups who had recently threatened to lay off your division?

There's no doubt blame at the feet of some bad police work, but your city council burned down a house because it had a leaky roof and are demanding someone fix the leaky roof.

tl;dr: your policing problem will get worse before it gets better and you have your city council to blame.

They didn’t create the problems. The George Floyd tragedy was a symptom of overall larger societal issues. There’s a lot of blame to be spread around but many aren’t smart enough to figure that out

Reactions: iahawks10

So where is the link to 300 officers leaving?

There absolutely is by a large # of police hating liberals that think criminals should not be prosecuted or even looked for. One example would be the group of folks that protested Cup foods trying to reopen because they believe they are partially at fault for Floyd being killed for calling the cops in the first place. Also all the folks that are arguing against the police trying to stop any of the looters because they believe it is just reparations. Guess you missed those interviews

And I guess you didn't see me or my larger # of neighbors at the dozen or so community meeting that have been going on looking for a way to improve the department.

Are they the same council members now reversing their stances because their constituents are pushing them to get the police back on the streets? You do understand that Biden and Obama were the ones who pushed the large increase in police presence in the inner cities. Do you understand that?

Honestly what you posted is not clearing things up for me.

And I guess you didn't see me or my larger # of neighbors at the dozen or so community meeting that have been going on looking for a way to improve the department.
What does that have to do with your claim there is no apathy towards crime in Minneapolis? If you would have limited it to yourself or those actually trying to help, I’d buy it. But overall there is absolutely a large # of people in Minneapolis that want nothing more than these criminals to walk with no consequences. To say differently would be about the equivalent of saying Trump is the best president of our time.

What does that have to do with your claim there is no apathy towards crime in Minneapolis? If you would have limited it to yourself or those actually trying to help, I’d buy it. But overall there is absolutely a large # of people in Minneapolis that want nothing more than these criminals to walk with no consequences. To say differently would be about the equivalent of saying Trump is the best president of our time.

Bullshit.

Yes. I do. I just told you it.

You’re anti police and anti-Biden’s stance on needing a cop on every corner. Pro-idiot defund the police council. It’s quite obvious.

I've never posted any such thing on HROT.

And fvck you you are not telling me what I think.

I've never posted any such thing on HROT.

And fvck you you are not telling me what I think.

So, why did you ask me to tell you what you thought? Not to mention you started out the thread by calling the police stupid, so yeah...you did post such a thing.

Maybe there should be social workers.

Agreed. I look forward to seeing how the defund MPD experiment works out. Just do it.

My son had his garage broken into last winter. I helped him check and see what was missing and then he called the MPD. When they arrived I felt like we might as well be the suspects.

You got a sworn cop to come to a cold no-suspect burglary for a report? Wow. Seems like a waste of resources but good for MPD.

Tell me more about these violence interrupters, what is their role? How does it work? Have other areas done this?

ADVERTISEMENT