ADVERTISEMENT

Minneapolis North Principal Speaks Out

Is this about the police, COVID and/or the Minneapolis leaders? All of the above?

Good for her. Too bad the liberals have left her and her kids behind.

She was the subject of a local tv station's documentary: 'Love Them First'
"The documentary is honest about the struggles facing the community and the school, but finds its heart in the strength of its children, and the many people working to make a difference. "

Reactions: 2bagger22
I like how the left in that city is handling this situation.

They scream that the police need to stop messing with criminals and they need to go. They make a serious effort to get rid of the police. Many police go. Crime goes way up. Then they blame "many factors" as to why it's happening, while saying "police aren't doing their job of stopping crime".

Last edited:
I like how the left in that city is handling this situation.

They scream that the police need to stop messing with criminals and they need to go. They make a serious effort to get rid of the police. Many police go. Crime goes way up. Then they blame "many factors" as to why it's happening, while saying "police aren't doing their job of stopping crime"
Lol.

Exactly. It's funny when shit blows up in the face of dumb people.
Dude, I’m talking about developments over several decades that set the stage for all of the symptomatic expressions we’re seeing and experiencing now. This is not Democrat or republican, it is neoliberalism and extreme capitalism, if anything. Wealth concentration/consolidation, income inequality, employment anxiety, destabilizes.

Defund the police is a poorly-named concept to reinvest in society. Research all of the factors germane to increases and decreases in crime, prevalence of mental and physical health issues.

The obsession with left/right, narrow-contenting that often coincides, it does nobody any good.

Dude, I’m talking about developments over several decades that set the stage for all of the symptomatic expressions we’re seeing and experiencing now. This is not Democrat or republican, it is neoliberalism and extreme capitalism, if anything. Wealth concentration/consolidation, income inequality, employment anxiety, destabilizes.

Defund the police is a poorly-named concept to reinvest in society. Research all of the factors germane to increases and decreases in crime, prevalence of mental and physical health issues.

The obsession with left/right, narrow-contenting that often coincides, it does nobody any good.

Unfortunately in the case of Minneapolis it has become a pretty left/right thing. There isn’t an absolute issue that has gotten them there but it is the mindset and leadership of a certain group of people that have created and grown their mess. The platform needs to change.

Unfortunately in the case of Minneapolis it has become a pretty left/right thing. There isn’t an absolute issue that has gotten them there but it is the mindset and leadership of a certain group of people that have created and grown their mess. The platform needs to change.
The economy needs to change. I've explained my existence many times in HROT. My office is in a community center in one of Peoria's poorest neighborhoods. Shootings are commonplace. I've lost now three kids that I coached to gun violence, two dead, one imprisoned for a 40-year sentence. I'm building an Arts program while also training/mentoring a few kids (basketball). Anyways, Boys & Girls Club uses the building as well. We just hired a new director for the community center, who has for the next year a masters program student doing fund development and some program development. We met yesterday, brainstorming to address how issues "normal" to this neighborhood are now heightened as a result of ongoing issues "enhanced" by Covid. In short, if there are 15 kids in a group at B&G Club, typically one or maybe two of them are behaviorally-challenged simply as a result of being hungry. All of them, minus maybe one for some odd reason like a recent relocation or whatever, are enrolled in school. We're talking middle school kids. Now? In a group of 15 five or six are hungry, like literally flat out need to be fed. Three or four are not enrolled in school. Whatever uncertainties and frustrations over the schooling as we still deal with this virus? They're significantly heightened or exacerbated in communities of poverty, especially generational poverty.

Does my community want more policing? Not really. It wants security, and on a level more fundamental than I think most in HROT understand—I certainly don't fully understand it. We're talking choosing between rent and utilities, food or health care, food or school, and not just this month, but for many months.

You know how people feel disaffected by globalism? Neoliberalism? Hell, on a smaller scale, one easy to understand because the optics make it easy, look at coal communities and the issues they're facing. Addiction, mental illness, crime, abuse, on and on. Okay, now consider how communities have been trying to navigate conditions like that, also victim to externalities over which they have little to no control. So, yeah, reallocating funds away from policing and towards social programs that address the issues germane to socioeconomic stresses these communities are trying to navigate, yeah, this sounds good. In fact, there is a lot of empirical evidence that tells us that addressing the root causes of crime has a better net effect than simply being reactive (ever-increased policing, or even asking police to "solve" the problems, you know, be social workers and police and therapists etc and so forth).

The issues of crime and violence and mental illness and everything else germane to poverty have become yet another bag of political footballs to kick around. It's silly. This is the world we've created over the last 60 years or so. Correcting course is obviously necessary, and it's not going to happen overnight. There are people who profit from all this. Nobody, well almost nobody, who stands to gain, or has figured out how to gain from something, tries to do anything but ensure that something continues on as unabated as possible.

There is a good book kind of relating to this last thought: Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. The last part of the book, if I remember correctly, is especially relevant to some of what we're seeing today.

Another typical rewrite of history. Defunding the police is not a concept, it is a movement.
Lol. It's an idea/concept that evolved into a movement. It didn't start as a movement. No movement starts without some type of ideological/conceptual underpinning.

JFC your mind has become fully tribal.

The economy needs to change. I've explained my existence many times in HROT. My office is in a community center in one of Peoria's poorest neighborhoods. Shootings are commonplace. I've lost now three kids that I coached to gun violence, two dead, one imprisoned for a 40-year sentence. I'm building an Arts program while also training/mentoring a few kids (basketball). Anyways, Boys & Girls Club uses the building as well. We just hired a new director for the community center, who has for the next year a masters program student doing fund development and some program development. We met yesterday, brainstorming to address how issues "normal" to this neighborhood are now heightened as a result of ongoing issues "enhanced" by Covid. In short, if there are 15 kids in a group at B&G Club, typically one or maybe two of them are behaviorally-challenged simply as a result of being hungry. All of them, minus maybe one for some odd reason like a recent relocation or whatever, are enrolled in school. We're talking middle school kids. Now? In a group of 15 five or six are hungry, like literally flat out need to be fed. Three or four are not enrolled in school. Whatever uncertainties and frustrations over the schooling as we still deal with this virus? They're significantly heightened or exacerbated in communities of poverty, especially generational poverty.

Does my community want more policing? Not really. It wants security, and on a level more fundamental than I think most in HROT understand—I certainly don't fully understand it. We're talking choosing between rent and utilities, food or health care, food or school, and not just this month, but for many months.

You know how people feel disaffected by globalism? Neoliberalism? Hell, on a smaller scale, one easy to understand because the optics make it easy, look at coal communities and the issues they're facing. Addiction, mental illness, crime, abuse, on and on. Okay, now consider how communities have been trying to navigate conditions like that, also victim to externalities over which they have little to no control. So, yeah, reallocating funds away from policing and towards social programs that address the issues germane to socioeconomic stresses these communities are trying to navigate, yeah, this sounds good. In fact, there is a lot of empirical evidence that tells us that addressing the root causes of crime has a better net effect than simply being reactive (ever-increased policing, or even asking police to "solve" the problems, you know, be social workers and police and therapists etc and so forth).

The issues of crime and violence and mental illness and everything else germane to poverty have become yet another bag of political footballs to kick around. It's silly. This is the world we've created over the last 60 years or so. Correcting course is obviously necessary, and it's not going to happen overnight. There are people who profit from all this. Nobody, well almost nobody, who stands to gain, or has figured out how to gain from something, tries to do anything but ensure that something continues on as unabated as possible.

There is a good book kind of relating to this last thought: Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. The last part of the book, if I remember correctly, is especially relevant to some of what we're seeing today.
In a nut shell it’s called no mother’s and father’s who hold their kids accountable.
No emphasis on family and a culture that celebrates thug life and disrespecting women.
I grew up in the 60s and 70s in an incredibly diverse town, black fathers were tyrannical and commanded respect or you’d pay the price

Reactions: Run&Blade

In Minneapolis, this isn't a "right/left issue". That's the point. It's a "left issue". Period.

The people there that are currently in charge are the ones acting on the premise that more gasoline is needed to put out the fire. Talk about the last 40 years all you want. But make sure the idiots in charge are trying to stem the tide. And make sure to hold them accountable when they suggest and act on dumb ideas that make things worse.

If everybody had great parents there would be almost no need for police.

since that isn’t reality we need after school programs where kids are fed, bathed, entertained, tutored. These programs likely need to include weekends.

this should be the focus of the protests and “movement”.

going to need more police and better training. I would also promote the idea of civilians riding along with cops as observers.

The whole country is watching this crap going on in leftist cities and people don’t like what they see. These people are also aware that speaking out can have grave consequences once the “woke mob” finds out who you are. These people aren’t going to display their support for the right because of that, but my gosh the Dems are doing everything they can to lose what should be the easiest election to win, so we’ll see how it ends...

I never figured you for a front line type

If everybody had great parents there would be almost no need for police.

since that isn’t reality we need after school programs where kids are fed, bathed, entertained, tutored. These programs likely need to include weekends.

this should be the focus of the protests and “movement”.

going to need more police and better training. I would also promote the idea of civilians riding along with cops as observers.
Demand the policing in your neighborhood reflects the demographics of your neighborhood.
That’s a realistic ask, also commit to working with and supporting them!

Would be nice to have a discussion about police reform and methods of diversifying response without being accused of not wanting any police. Too often, this is framed as “take it or leave it.” I believe national legislative reform is the only way forward because local unions will hold the cities hostage if they attempt any meaningful reform.

Minneapolis defined the conversation.

And if POA’s are a problem then I assume SEIU and NEA are alike.

In a nut shell it’s called no mother’s and father’s who hold their kids accountable.
No emphasis on family and a culture that celebrates thug life and disrespecting women.
I grew up in the 60s and 70s in an incredibly diverse town, black fathers were tyrannical and commanded respect or you’d pay the price
Simplify as you wish. Poverty affects home stability in many ways. Your interest in simplification, even as you presented it with a hint of racism, is noted.

The plural of mother is mothers, not mother’s. The plural of father is fathers, not father’s.

From the linked story:

A sobering statistic from the head of the Minneapolis Police Department today.

Chief Medaria Arradondo says recent gun violence in north Minneapolis is unlike anything they’ve seen in years.

The chief joined the Minneapolis City Council for their community safety meeting Tuesday, where he said it’s been hard to keep up with the spike in violence.

Part of the reason is that more officers than normal are choosing to leave the department or retire.

WCCO’s Reg Chapman went to a neighborhood in north Minneapolis today where residents say the gun violence is like living in a war zone.

The hypnotizing sounds of a wind chime and the view of a pond in their section of north Minneapolis is not enough to escape the sounds of what happens when the sun goes down.

“Honestly I really haven’t been sleeping right now I mean really I can’t. I hear every little thing that is going on police sirens like the helicopters the gun shooting everything” Liz Cruz said.

“You’re sleeping and all of a sudden you feel like you are in a war zone. I have four children and I’ll sleep with them all in my room because I am scared and I’m terrified something is going to happen to them,” Cruz said.

Terrified because just next door bullets from a gunfight pierced the home, passed through the dining room, the hallway door and lodged into the back wall of the pantry.

“Nobody sees what we’ve living nobody is feeling what we’re feeling because they’re not here,” Cruz said.

Cruz and her neighbors say even during the afternoon, they’ve had to scurry inside because of the sound of gunshots.

“Help us, come and see what’s going on and we’re really not getting any responses from the Mayor of city council we feel kind of alone right now,” Cruz said.

Their unanswered calls and emails to city leaders has them asking, crying out for attention to what they call a public health crisis.

“Come here, meet with us, face us, stay here for a weekend for the love of God just come here and say something to us the people that are freaking voting for you and depend on you to take care of us where are you show your face to us do something don’t just sit there and let your city go down to the ruins do something for us,” Cruz said.

Cruz and her neighbors are thankful for the response they are getting from Minneapolis Police.

They say what they need is true leadership and a plan to end the violence.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020...tent&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Simplify as you wish. Poverty affects home stability in many ways. Your interest in simplification, even as you presented it with a hint of racism, is noted.

The plural of mother is mothers, not mother’s. The plural of father is fathers, not father’s.
Poverty didn’t effect family units staying together in the 60s and 70s.
Racism, no sir.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT