ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota’s Bateman to sit out 2020

That's a big blow to the Goofs.

Helps the Hawks a bit to play them early on the season... assuming there is a season.

Gives Minnesota fans another excuse if this season doesn't match last years.
The revised schedule has been released?

The revised schedule has been released?
Haven't seen it, but the Iowa game was scheduled for a Friday nite and it would make sense to just slide everything ahead and slot the extra B1G game somewhere.

Opposing defensive backs and defensive coordinators upon hearing the news:

b78.gif

I doubt teams' conference schedules will be too drastically affected.

I should say, you would think the issue would be finding spots to place the extra game within the existing schedule.
Yep, cause the broadcast networks will make reservations for staff and equipment several months in advance. The easiest is to adjust for one game rather than multiple events.

Common sense 101.

Huge loss for MN... shouldn't take a hit on Bateman's draft stock too much since he's already got the film and just need to ace the workouts.... would be interesting to see if any other top players decide to opt out

I doubt teams' conference schedules will be too drastically affected.

I should say, you would think the issue would be finding spots to place the extra game within the existing schedule.

All I've read is that Big 10 may try and front load the division matchups to start. Which would still keep that Minny game in Sept. Only question is if they keep this as a Friday because of TV aka $$$ what ever week they play it.

That's a big blow to the Goofs.

Helps the Hawks a bit to play them early on the season... assuming there is a season.

Gives Minnesota fans another excuse if this season doesn't match last years.
In addition, our difficult road schedule is going to be much less difficult with no fans in the stands in Minneapolis, Columbus & Happy Valley; shoot, with a brand new QB, we just might pull off some impressive road wins this year (assuming we have them)

I don’t see that game being on a Friday night since they are talking about moving back games till the middle to late September with no non con schedule to deal with.

Iowa at Minny, 9/19 or 9/25 is probably the start of the season. Go Hawks.

I don’t see that game being on a Friday night since they are talking about moving back games till the middle to late September with no non con schedule to deal with.

Iowa at Minny, 9/19 or 9/25 is probably the start of the season. Go Hawks.

Looks like you nailed it with 9/19 on the schedule release today. Glad it's not on a Friday. Hopefully they leave it alone.

Interesting.

Pre-covid, guys sit out bowl games to prepare for the draft.
Now in this very weird year players shut it down before the season ends.

Maybe it can all be blamed on Covid.

But, I wonder if this will be a new approach that some players may take even without the bizarre aspects the virus has introduced.

Might they start the year if they think they need to have some more good game video for draft status purposes, then shut it down at some point if they are advised they've shown enough AND their team's performance is such that they'll be in a lower level bowl at best?

Interesting.

Pre-covid, guys sit out bowl games to prepare for the draft.
Now in this very weird year players shut it down before the season ends.

Maybe it can all be blamed on Covid.

But, I wonder if this will be a new approach that some players may take even without the bizarre aspects the virus has introduced.

Might they start the year if they think they need to have some more good game video for draft status purposes, then shut it down at some point if they are advised they've shown enough AND their team's performance is such that they'll be in a lower level bowl at best?
My lord, if poor performance by a team makes players “shut it down”, we may never see Minn, Ia St, or Nebber finish a season!

Reactions: 24 so far
My lord, if poor performance by a team makes players “shut it down”, we may never see Minn, Ia St, or Nebber finish a season!
This may go back to the Iowa game where PJ kept his starters in to the end So he wasn’t shut out. It looked more like Peej was more interested in himself and career over his players’ well being.

“Since we’re in the middle of a bad season, and we’re canceling a game, I’ve decided that I am going to turn my back on my team in the middle of a season and quit. I have more talent than the ones I’m turning my back on so I don’t really care about them. I could keep training for the NFL and stay part of this team and see what the future holds but I’m choosing to publicize my selfishness now and make it about me.”

“Since we’re in the middle of a bad season, and we’re canceling a game, I’ve decided that I am going to turn my back on my team in the middle of a season and quit. I have more talent than the ones I’m turning my back on so I don’t really care about them. I could keep training for the NFL and stay part of this team and see what the future holds but I’m choosing to publicize my selfishness now and make it about me.”

Wow! That’s some crazy sheeet!

i get what you’re saying BUT
I really can’t blame the guy , clearly his coach is not all that worried about him getting injured

Honestly he should’ve never been eligible in the first place. He said he was opting out before the big 10 cancelled and hired an agent.

fleck better hope their RB Ibrahim doesn’t go pro because his offense has been literally him and Bateman so far this year.

Guessing this will be the new norm....players were already starting to regularly skip bowl games....and to be honest if your team loses a game or two why would you risk it? They’re not getting paid.

cant wait to get on here when the first Hawkeye does this in the next few seasons....

"the lessons learned in the 'row the boat culture' "...

The lesson learned is 'gtfo cuz my team sucks' apparently.

And for this to come out on Thanksgiving and he said he's thankful for everything his coaches coaches did for him... double lol

If I was an NFL GM, I'd have to think long and hard about drafting this kid. Already quit on his teammates twice this year now. He's definitely a Me first type of player. There are plenty of other quality WR's out there to draft.

If I was an NFL GM, I'd have to think long and hard about drafting this kid. Already quit on his teammates twice this year now. He's definitely a Me first type of player. There are plenty of other quality WR's out there to draft.
Unfortunately the league cares very little about values like humility or team first play. Thats why so many guys with questionable pasts even fellons get drafted or allowed the privalage to continue playing in the league. Its all about potential....

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT