ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota announces starting QB

Paste of what I typed in the lounge:

"Not your average walk-on. Remember Artur Sitkowski (One time Miami commit and had an Iowa offer - will be the starter at Rutgers)? This kid beat him out at IMG. Fleck didn't have the room, his brother is on the team, originally from Minnesota, and two of his teammates at IMG are now on the team.

He also had other P5 offers."

Certainly anything could happen, but beating out the Rutgers QB in high school doesn't mean a lot to Big Ten defenses.

Maybe he is the next Joe Montana, but probably not.

It amazes me that Fleck is still only in year 2 at Minny. He will get a few years, but I really don't see him being there long term.

He'll get 3 years minimum, guys. Nobody cans a coach after two unless he's caught up in something ugly. If they make a bowl in 2019, he'll get to 5 easy.

"Not your average walk-on. Remember Artur Sitkowski (One time Miami commit and had an Iowa offer - will be the starter at Rutgers)? This kid beat him out at IMG. Fleck didn't have the room, his brother is on the team, originally from Minnesota, and two of his teammates at IMG are now on the team.

Sitkoswki was the starter at IMG but suffered an injury so he wasn't "beat out" but to be fair, Annexstad (sp?) played fairly well taking over the reigns …… although nowhere near spectacular (a very pedestrian completion percentage).

Sitkowski was (by far) the more heavily recruited QB between the two. It may work out in the long run for MN but Annexstad will get the rookie treatment - a loaded box designed to stop the run (Rodney Smith is a legit NFL prospect) and force him to complete clutch passes to MN's young and inexperienced WRs. I like Iowa's chances this year.

This ESPN article claims that Minny only has 1 QB on scholarship. Seems like a gamble to not hold onto a scholarship for a grad or JC transfer.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ad-named-minnesota-golden-gophers-starting-qb

giphy.gif

I heard on the radio the only other freshman walk-on to ever start game one was Baker Mayfield ... or something like that.

So, Minnesota prolly has that going for them, which is nice :rolleyes:

Carl Spackler: So I jump ship in Hong Kong and I make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas.
Angie D’Annunzio: A looper?
Carl Spackler: A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I’m a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald… striking. So, I’m on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one – big hitter, the Lama – long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga… gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, “Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.” And he says, “Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.” So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.

He'll get 3 years minimum, guys. Nobody cans a coach after two unless he's caught up in something ugly. If they make a bowl in 2019, he'll get to 5 easy.

If Minny has a real bad stay home during the cold winter football season, recruitng Minnesota kids like Terry Lockett and Kaden Johnson will have to be a bit easier. Fleck will look a sitting duck just waiting to be fired. Recruits who bought the hype won't be pleased to recommend Fleck. The B1G network needs to stop hyping " PJ FLECK". Would a guy like Fleck go dirty and start paying for recruits?

He's a walk-on true freshman per Twitter.

This seems good for everyone but Minnesota.
Kid was a legacy ... so I wouldn't read too much about the walk-on background. The bigger thing is that he's the reason why their heralded JUCO recruit transferred out right after the spring. This would suggest that the new Gopher QB definitely has some talent.

However, he's also a TR FR ... thus, I'd presume that he's more than a little rough around the edges.

If Minny has a real bad stay home during the cold winter football season, recruitng Minnesota kids like Terry Lockett and Kaden Johnson will have to be a bit easier. Fleck will look a sitting duck just waiting to be fired. Recruits who bought the hype won't be pleased to recommend Fleck. The B1G network needs to stop hyping " PJ FLECK". Would a guy like Fleck go dirty and start paying for recruits?

My Heavens I wish Caden Johnson was interested in Iowa! I don't get that feeling right now but Lockett and their Safety Mcdonald are solid too. Haven't heard from Mcdonald recently either.

He's a walk-on true freshman per Twitter.

This seems good for everyone but Minnesota.
Kid was a legacy ... so I wouldn't read too much about the walk-on background. The bigger thing is that he's the reason why their heralded JUCO recruit transferred out right after the spring. This would suggest that the new Gopher QB definitely has some talent.

However, he's also a TR FR ... thus, I'd presume that he's more than a little rough around the edges.

That juco qb you mention (Vic V.) sucked so bad that he went back to his juco school and switched to LB.....

AJ Epenesa was a legacy recruit and did not have to walk on.

As the kid had other offers and still walked on, I am going to infer a couple things.

1. Probably better than most walk-ons.
2. His parents have enough $$ that the cost of attending was not a factor. Of course, that means very little in regards to his playing ability.

I think Malik Henry from “Last Chance U” is still available. Last I heard.

My Heavens I wish Caden Johnson was interested in Iowa! I don't get that feeling right now but Lockett and their Safety Mcdonald are solid too. Haven't heard from Mcdonald recently either.

I think the young men ( Lockett, Kaden Johnson and McDonald) will be visiting Iowa for at least one game this fall ( with Suggs ... Suggs should be a BB player with his build).

Harb from Kaden Johnson's twitter :
https://twitter.com/kadenjohnson9?lang=en

great news! Caden is very good!

Yes, very good, indeed. Looking at two of the main competitors (Notre Dame and Ohio State)... tOSU will have two LB spot to fill (offer) and Kaden is down a couple of rungs in the pecking order ( I count at least 6 overall 4 and 5 stars in that favor tOSU in 2020 recruits)for the mighty tURBAN Meyer's program. Iowa's current LB corps looks stronger talent wise (just needs game experience) and has a nice LB to NFL developmental relationship. And at Iowa, he would get be closer to home for his parents to see several of his games and go to a bowl (not at Minny).

No-you're Lame Iwish football.... What has Manti T'eo done in the pros? Has he found a girlfriend yet? Notre Dame takes 4 and 5 star HS stars and send them along to the pros (sometimes). Iowa does bit better with less stars. Kaden would be better served at Iowa.

This situation at Minnesota looks more like a personnel mistake turned into desperation. You can win the OOC with this situation, but the conference schedule will tear this kid a new asshole. They beat Illinois and end the season at 4-8. That's best case scenario.

This situation at Minnesota looks more like a personnel mistake turned into desperation. You can win the OOC with this situation, but the conference schedule will tear this kid a new asshole. They beat Illinois and end the season at 4-8. That's best case scenario.
At a certain point, you have to find someone you like ... and then work on building that guy up. At Western Michigan, Fleck eventually landed on choosing Zach Terrell ... and he worked on building Terrell into a proficient passing QB. Between Corey Davis and Zach Terrell ... they helped Western Michigan's O make Fleck look like a genius.

While I would say that Fleck is akin to a used-car salesman ... he is also a pretty good coach. I think that he's doing the right thing by finding a QB he likes and trying to stick with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT