ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota Star Tribune. Good Read.

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha

Scoggins: Gophers’ first-half good vibes went out the window with a putrid second half​

Iowa asserted its dominance after halftime and took Floyd back down the highway after an all-too-brief stay in the Twin Cities.

By Chip Scoggins
The Minnesota Star Tribune
SEPTEMBER 21, 2024 AT 11:16PM
OHBHYZKEZVFZVAMNAPYRHULPOE.jpg

Iowa outscored the Gophers 24-0, outgained them 227-66 in total yards and outrushed them 181-22.

That’s a large slice of humble pie.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz’s halftime work was splendid because the Hawkeyes had every answer on both sides of the ball. The Gophers fell apart after an inspired first half, which falls squarely in P.J. Fleck’s lap.

The game wasn’t even remotely competitive over the final 30 minutes. That’s unacceptable anytime but especially against a rival. The head coach bears responsibility.

“The job of the head football coach is to get his team to play hard for 60 minutes and I failed to do that,” Fleck said. “I told [the players] that same thing. It’s unacceptable and it won’t happen again.”
2C2SO3RUWBHBNOESFFOHZSSG4U.jpg

Gophers head coach P. J. Fleck looks toward the field in the third quarter at Huntington Bank Stadium on Saturday. (Ayrton Breckenridge/The Minnesota Star Tribune)

The Gophers spent the entire second half hanging on for dear life as Johnson raced through their defense like a Lamborghini. He ripped off one long run after another, repeatedly burning the Gophers for taking bad angles or being out of position.

The Hawkeyes scored 31 points while only passing for 62 yards. That’s hard to accomplish.

Iowa had eight runs that netted at least 10 yards. Johnson alone had runs of 23 yards, 21, 24, 40 and 33.

He’s sensational for sure, but the Gophers have a veteran front seven that flunked their matchup.

All the good that took place in the first half for the Gophers became wasted breath by the second half no-show.

The Gophers passing game finished the first half humming at maximum efficiency. Max Brosmer found a rhythm. His receivers made highlight catches. The defense was playing fast and physical.

The Gophers had a 165-16 advantage in passing yards and 14-7 lead at halftime. The crowd was revved up. Iowa was on the ropes.

The Hawkeyes showed their maturity in the second half.

The Gophers got exposed.

The game swung in the trenches. Iowa’s offensive line started creating lanes for Johnson, who needs only a sliver of an opening to stress a defense.

The Gophers offense managed just 66 yards and five first downs after halftime.

Fleck reverted to his old habits on the final play of the third quarter after watching his offense misfire. Trailing 24-14, the Gophers faced a third-and-10 from their own 21. Fleck called a running play that lost a yard.

That was the equivalent of waving the white flag.

The game was lost. The Pig’s stay in Dinkytown was a brief one.

Things don’t get any easier for Fleck’s squad. The schedule calls for Michigan and Southern California in consecutive weeks.

Things could spiral quickly.

Minnesota has:

Michigan L
USC L
UCLA
Maryland
Illinois L
Rutgers L
Penn St L
Wisconsin

I see 3 wins at most in there. They could very well stay home in the post season. That would have been 2 years in a row if not for last year's gimme. PJ will be on the hot seat.

EDIT: I think it would take sub .500 this year and another to put him on the hot seat. He won 11, 9, 9 games in 2019, 2021, 2022...pretty rare air for Minnesota. He has the second highest win % of any Gopher coach in the last 100 years. I think that buys him some time.

Last edited:
Minnesota has:

Michigan L
USC L
UCLA
Maryland
Illinois L
Rutgers L
Penn St L
Wisconsin

I see 3 wins at most in there. They could very well stay home in the post season. That would have been 2 years in a row if not for last year's gimme. PJ will be on the hot seat.
He might be on the hot seat but whenever he takes another job he seems to get a new wife. Maybe the current wife should be looking at the pre-nup

Minnesota has:

Michigan L
USC L
UCLA
Maryland
Illinois L
Rutgers L
Penn St L
Wisconsin

These were the buy out figures as of Oct 5, 2023

USC’s buyout for Lincoln Riley is not included on this list as it, like Northwestern, is a private institution that has no legal obligation to release coaching contract figures.

• 1. James Franklin, Penn State (No. 4 overall): $64.67 million
  • 2. Matt Rhule, Nebraska (No. 6 overall): $62.06 million
  • 3. Ryan Day, Ohio State (No. 9 overall): $46.22 million
  • 4. Dan Lanning, Oregon (No. 11 overall): $44.33 million
  • 5. Luke Fickell, Wisconsin (No. 13 overall): $39.68 million
  • 6. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (No. 14 overall): $37 million
  • 7. Bret Bielema, Illinois (No. 15 overall): $35.75 million
  • 8. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan (No. 21 overall): $27.24 million
  • 9. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota (No. 24 overall): $23.73 million
  • 10. Kalen DeBoer, Washington (No. 25 overall): $23.2 million
  • 11. Tom Allen, Indiana (No. 28 overall): $20.4 million
  • 12. Mike Locksley, Maryland (No. 34 overall): $16.55 million
  • 13. Greg Schiano, Rutgers (No. 40 overall): $13.07 million
  • 14. Ryan Walters, Purdue (No. 44 overall): $12.63 million
  • 15. Chip Kelly, UCLA (No. 48 overall): $8.79 million

One of the people watching the game with us said that it looked like Minnesota gave up in the third quarter.
When Iowa scored the go ahead touchdown the vibe around that stadium instantly shifted to...here we go again. You could see it in the eyes of the Gopher fans. People started leaving. When Stevens hit the 46 yarder the student section started to clear out. That final TD emptied it.

Last edited:
Good read indeed - I found myself saying this exact statement many, many times over the past few years with KF/BF….

‘Fleck reverted to his old habits on the final play of the third quarter after watching his offense misfire. Trailing 24-14, the Gophers faced a third-and-10 from their own 21. Fleck called a running play that lost a yard.

That was the equivalent of waving the white flag’

Last edited:
The Fleckster is a snake oil salesman.

Gopher fans are likely praying he gets a job offer somewhere else.

Iowa fans hope he signs a lifetime contract.
At .606 he has the highest win % of any Gopher coach since the legendary Bernie Bierman who retired in 1950. I don't think they cut him loose, he's more likely to go after a warm weather job to setup for his retirement. San Diego State or something.

USC’s buyout for Lincoln Riley is not included on this list as it, like Northwestern, is a private institution that has no legal obligation to release coaching contract figures.

That list is hilarious. People bitch about Kirks buyout, yet while Frankins done little given what he gets to work with at PSU, Rhule's is an absolute joke. On top of that all the $$ they're probably still paying past coaches.

Sickening to see Kirk so high up on that list. Barta was a fvcking dipshit. Or, more likely, there was shady backdoor deals being made.
Without question, you are out of your F---king mind, and NOT an iowa fan in anyway. Don't give 2 shits about Barta, but outside of Day, (again consider what he gets to work with at OSU) and Lanning, none of those guys above Kirk deserve bigger buyouts or salaries then KF does. Salaries and buyouts are just the name of the game in these contracts, and singling Kirk out is both naive and agenda driven. Rhules is almost twice what Kirks is, and he's done little of significance in is career at this level.

Without question, you are out of your F---king mind, and NOT an iowa fan in anyway. Don't give 2 shits about Barta, but outside of Day, (again consider what he gets to work with at OSU) and Lanning, none of those guys above Kirk deserve bigger buyouts or salaries then KF does. Salaries and buyouts are just the name of the game in these contracts, and singling Kirk out is both naive and agenda driven. Rhules is almost twice what Kirks is, and he's done little of significance in is career at this level.
Rhule's record versus top 25 teams is 2-20.

By my math, the end of 2024 buyout is still about $23M per the new contract, and it goes down every year therafter. I can't see Minny wanting to pay a buyout over $15M, because the program just isn't big enough to stomach that. It goes down to $14.95M just before the end of next year. So I think they're stuck with him this season and next season, at a minimum.

P.J. Fleck will have bonuses added to Gophers contract after UCLA’s pursuit

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck can collect an additional $5.7 million if he stays through the 2029 season, pending Board of Regents approval.

By Randy Johnson

The Minnesota Star Tribune
March 1, 2024 at 2:23PM

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck, who was pursued by UCLA last month for its head-coaching job, has agreed to an amended contract in which he could receive an additional $5.7 million if he stays with Minnesota through the 2029 season.

The university’s athletic department announced the amendment Friday, and the contract is pending Board of Regents approval.

Fleck, who’ll coach his eighth season with the Gophers this fall, will continue to receive a total salary of $6 million through the 2029 season, with $400,000 as base salary and $5.6 million as supplemental compensation. Under the amendment, he’ll also be able to make more money through a retention bonus, the longer he stays.

The schedule of the retention bonuses are:

• Year One (through Dec. 31, 2024): $700,000;

• Year Two: $800,000;

• Year Three: $900,000;

• Year Four: $1 million;

• Year Five: $1.1 million;

• Year Six: $1.2 million.

Neither Fleck nor athletic director Mark Coyle were available to comment Friday because the contract needs the regents’ approval at their March 7-8 meeting. Last week, however, Coyle in a Star Tribune interview offered his thoughts on UCLA’s pursuit of Fleck and the coach’s decision to stay at Minnesota.

“P.J. and I have a really close relationship, and when UCLA reached out to him, he kept me up to speed on all those conversations,’’ Coyle said. “He and I had a chance to talk late that Friday night, and we talked early Saturday. He and Heather [Fleck] and I got on the phone and had conversations. They love Minnesota; they want to be here. They feel like there’s a lot of work left to be done here. … We feel really grateful that he should lead our program, and we look forward to having him do that for a long time.”

In his seven years at Minnesota, Fleck has compiled a 50-34 record. He ranks fifth in program history in wins (50), Big Ten wins (29) and games coached (84).

Under Fleck, the Gophers have played in five bowl games, winning each of them. His 2019 team had a breakthrough season, going 11-2, winning the Outback Bowl and finishing No. 10 in the final Associated Press poll, the program’s best final ranking since 1962. He had nine-win seasons in 2021 and 2022 before the 2023 team went 5-7 in the regular season and reached the Quick Lane Bowl through its high score in the Academic Progress Rate.

In addition to the retention bonuses, the buyout structure increased for Fleck should he leave for a coaching or broadcasting position at any level. Had he left for UCLA, he would have owed the university $5 million. Under the amendment, he would owe the university:

• $7 million if termination occurs during Year One of the contract;

• $5 million during Year Two;

• $4 million during Year Three;

• $3 million during Year Four;

• $2 million during Year Five;

• $0 if termination occurs during Year Six.

If the university terminates the contract without cause, it will owe Fleck a fee equal to 65% of the base salary, supplemental compensation and retention bonus that would have been paid to the coach throughout the remainder of the contract.

Also slightly adjusted in Fleck’s contract are incentives for making the College Football Playoff and various bowl games. They are:

• $500,000 for reaching the CFP national championship game

• $350,000 for reaching a playoff semifinal;

• $300,000 for reaching a playoff quarterfinal (added because of new playoff structure);

• $250,000 for making a first-round playoff game;

• $150,000 for playing in the Citrus Bowl or the top Tampa Bay bowl game;

• $100,000 for any other bowl game.

The university also will increase the salary pool of its assistant coaches and staff by $500,000.

lol, k guy

Reactions: Mister Plow
There is zero correlation between my enjoyment of a win and Kirk’s absurd contract extension he was given. Kirk isn’t going anywhere, never was.
His extension is both absurd, and appropriate relative to peer coaches/programs.

Does sixth/seventh in the B1G not seem about right?

I think it was Bowlsby that correctly said, the only thing worse than being in the “arms race,” is not being in the arms race.

Minnesota is going to struggle more than most middle of the road teams in era of NIL.

They have to compete against all four major professional sports and the WNBA and MLS.

Only so much money to go around.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Yesterday morning Dan Barreiro of KFAN/Minneapolis talked about how Minny doesn't have a big donor that will cut that $21M or $22M buyout check to make PJ go away.
I was fairly impressed with their level of fan support that showed up for this game and they were into it until 3rd quarter. Was a fun time from our standpoint being there.

His extension is both absurd, and appropriate relative to peer coaches/programs.

Does sixth/seventh in the B1G not seem about right?

I think it was Bowlsby that correctly said, the only thing worse than being in the “arms race,” is not being in the arms race.
The 4 year extension in ‘21 was criminal. That’s all I have to say on the matter.

I'm still shocked with all of PJ's bravado... Simply translates to conservative game calling.

I guess it fits right into his snake oil salesman persona. All that talk and confidence, but turtle shells up.

Tom Allen no longer at Indiana, but Cignetti's buyout is currently at a similar amount, ~$20 M through the end of this calendar year.

If Indiana plans to keep this new shiny object on campus, they may need to restructure his contract and double/triple that buyout amount if deep pockets come snooping around to snap him up. He's shown he has no issue with moving on to the next best thing.

Tom Allen no longer at Indiana, but Cignetti's buyout is currently at a similar amount, ~$20 M through the end of this calendar year.

If Indiana plans to keep this new shiny object on campus, they may need to restructure his contract and double/triple that buyout amount if deep pockets come snooping around to snap him up. He's shown he has no issue with moving on to the next best thing.
It’s the 2023 numbers, so a few of them are obsolete.

Harbaugh and Kelly too.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Fleck is a fine coach. He is in a no-win situation. Ya he's unique. Been through a lot. Life is a journey. We all look pretty stupid at times, just not on a national scale.

All coaches have a certain amount of bravado. KF is quite bravado in his humble veil. Kind of like a lot of Amish are very proud of their humility.

I'd rather someone put themself out there as who they are than veil it.

MN will eventually get bored with him and trot out another who will struggle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT