ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota "things"...

BigOHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
1. Funny how QB consternation goes away when you win, SP is improving and had some pro throws in the game. Yep, he missed some others to Nico, etc but given the conditions he played well. Mich QB missed some crazy throws late in that game too
2. Give BF credit, called a gutsy game and the Y seam pass to Lachey was money, great call and execution, Lachey got trucked and was great to hold on
3. Not so sure Williams didn't get the 1st down on that 2nd and goal call
4. Great to see Brecht climbing the ladder, had a few solid receptions and looks quicker and more confident
5. Any updates on LaPorta and/or Monte? Need them both this Friday!
6. Campbell INT may not happen if RB24 isn't gassed and has to take himself out, thus Minny passes and BOOM! Int...
7. TE middle screen was a nice wrinkle, don't think I've seen that all year, variation of tunnel screen
8. Cooper was money again, he's so quick and valuable in so many ways, Minny WR threw a punch and should've been flagged. Also great to see Ostrenga and Stillianos in there as future TE's.

I know we are all worried about the NE game...I do really wonder how much motivation/emotion they will have Friday, looks like a beaten and defeated team. An early lead would go a long way to clinching the B10 West, I can't believe I'm even typing this GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
1. Funny how QB consternation goes away when you win, SP is improving and had some pro throws in the game. Yep, he missed some others to Nico, etc but given the conditions he played well. Mich QB missed some crazy throws late in that game too
2. Give BF credit, called a gutsy game and the Y seam pass to Lachey was money, great call and execution, Lachey got trucked and was great to hold on
3. Not so sure Williams didn't get the 1st down on that 2nd and goal call
4. Great to see Brecht climbing the ladder, had a few solid receptions and looks quicker and more confident
5. Any updates on LaPorta and/or Monte? Need them both this Friday!
6. Campbell INT may not happen if RB24 isn't gassed and has to take himself out, thus Minny passes and BOOM! Int...
7. TE middle screen was a nice wrinkle, don't think I've seen that all year, variation of tunnel screen
8. Cooper was money again, he's so quick and valuable in so many ways, Minny WR threw a punch and should've been flagged. Also great to see Ostrenga and Stillianos in there as future TE's.

I know we are all worried about the NE game...I do really wonder how much motivation/emotion they will have Friday, looks like a beaten and defeated team. An early lead would go a long way to clinching the B10 West, I can't believe I'm even typing this GO HAWKS!
Nice post....I agree with just about everything you wrote.

You referenced that Petras missed one to Ragaini. If you're talking about the deep throw that hit Ragaini in the hands...Petras didn't miss on that throw. People are saying it was too high, or too long...or that he threw it too hard. Watch the replay and really watch Ragaini. Nico misjudged the ball and completely missed on his timing. When the ball hit his hands he was awkwardly late in elevating for the ball. In fact, one of his feet was still on the ground or barely off the ground. Plain and simple....Ragaini missed a very catchable ball. He literally made a well thrown ball look off target. That ball was right on the money...and he should have caught it quite easily. Doesn't matter, thankfully. But...it isn't accurate to say that Petras missed on the throw.

We ran the TE middle screen once against Wisconsin. We were getting killed by there blitzing linebackers and I was begging for some kind of screen to throw them off, and it worked pretty well.

The coaches must've saw something on film that made them think it was a good first play against Minnesota, and it was gangbusters.

We ran it once late in the game and got stuffed.

We ran the TE middle screen once against Wisconsin. We were getting killed by there blitzing linebackers and I was begging for some kind of screen to throw them off, and it worked pretty well.

The coaches must've saw something on film that made them think it was a good first play against Minnesota, and it was gangbusters.

I remember seeing the TE screen a few time this year. We haven't overused it ... but we've definitely used it some this season. (so ... not a new wrinkle)

You referenced that Petras missed one to Ragaini. If you're talking about the deep throw that hit Ragaini in the hands...Petras didn't miss on that throw. People are saying it was too high, or too long...or that he threw it too hard. Watch the replay and really watch Ragaini. Nico misjudged the ball and completely missed on his timing. When the ball hit his hands he was awkwardly late in elevating for the ball. In fact, one of his feet was still on the ground or barely off the ground. Plain and simple....Ragaini missed a very catchable ball. He literally made a well thrown ball look off target. That ball was right on the money...and he should have caught it quite easily. Doesn't matter, thankfully. But...it isn't accurate to say that Petras missed on the throw.
I agree that the ball was catchable ... and it's hard to expect perfection (especially given the weather conditions of the late fall). However, if that ball was placed a little bit better ... if he caught Nico in stride ... that play had TD written all over it.

I was starting to believe Brecht had hands of stone. He dropped most everything, but Saturday he came through. Yay! I have hope.

You'd certainly hope a baseball pitcher, who has to have a tremendously fine feel on the ball, would have responsive hands overall.

Brian had all week to drum up that brilliant call. After he used all the scripted plays it was dog shit offense as usual until the last 2 minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

Good point. I’m not going to do a 180 and change how I feel about SP. He is what he is. Below average QB with slow feet, no pocket awareness . Still hasn’t figured out how to change the velocity on a lot of his throws. I will say this . He’s been better in the last month, and considering just how bad he was prior to that, it wouldn’t have taken much to get off the bottom

Good point. I’m not going to do a 180 and change how I feel about SP. He is what he is. Below average QB with slow feet, no pocket awareness . Still hasn’t figured out how to change the velocity on a lot of his throws. I will say this . He’s been better in the last month, and considering just how bad he was prior to that, it wouldn’t have taken much to get off the bottom
I don't disagree. I do think that his poor play was exacerbated earlier in the season with the horrific line play. The guy was eating a shit sandwich within a couple of seconds of receiving the snap. Kinda can't blame him for panicking and fearing for his life back there. It was just brutal. While he looked miserable and arguably foolish much of the time...I'm not sure any QB looks a whole better under those circumstances.

#6- To be fair they had to pass because we got them into a 3rd and 8 by stuffing the run pretty well on 1st and 2nd downs.

I believe the 1st down run was Ibrahim, 2nd down was Potts.

Something I have seen numerous times over the years is Ref’s spotting the ball at the 1 yard line, when it should be half yard line or even closer.

On the outside run by Kaleb he was down just before the ball hit the damn pylon. Yet they spotted it at the 1 yard line. Probably cost us 7, but I guess it all worked out fine.

Last edited:
#8. They are beaten, defeated, and those coaches will be exiting Lincoln a week from today.

And it's Sr. Day in IC?

This is going to be uglier than an Iowa State cheerleader.
Senior Days can be tough sometimes for players. A lot going in the head for seniors.

Reactions: hawkhockey
Something I have seen numerous times over the years is Ref’s spotting the ball at the 1 yard line, when it should be half yard line or even closer.

YES. I'm glad someone else has recognized this trend. They must teach that mechanic. I've noticed many plays that very close to the the goal line that are mysteriously placed directly on the full one yard line. We got bit.

Nice gesture by the Hawks to have Yahya Black be one of the players to hoist Floyd after the game. Yahya is from Marshall, Minnesota. Had to feel special for him in Minneapolis.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
OConnell going up against a generationally good Iowa secondary. Only Stroud did anything.
Pretty close to the same back 7 in quality in Iowa's defense last year, but much different results. But no David Bell and no 3 experienced QBs to trot out there fot Purdue.

I don't disagree. I do think that his poor play was exacerbated earlier in the season with the horrific line play. The guy was eating a shit sandwich within a couple of seconds of receiving the snap. Kinda can't blame him for panicking and fearing for his life back there. It was just brutal. While he looked miserable and arguably foolish much of the time...I'm not sure any QB looks a whole better under those circumstances.
I also didn't notice the OL snap timing issues we've had run rampant the past several games..

Reactions: HawkDoggy
I also didn't notice the OL snap timing issues we've had run rampant the past several games..
They were there, and very obvious. If you re-watch the early games you can see that the snap was late almost every play. And that also probably helped to cause the exchange fumble on Padilla's first play.

Nice gesture by the Hawks to have Yahya Black be one of the players to hoist Floyd after the game. Yahya is from Marshall, Minnesota. Had to feel special for him in Minneapolis.

Yep. Black played alot in this one and the Hawks needed him. That Minnie oline was huge and they needed tackles with a little more "sand in the bucket". I think Black is a plus 300 lber. Great to see him using his size but he was still outweighed by 20 lbs and got bullied several times. Hopefully we get some additional sand in the buckets for the Dtackles. These huge Olines seem to be a trend.

#8. They are beaten, defeated, and those coaches will be exiting Lincoln a week from today.

And it's Sr. Day in IC?

This is going to be uglier than an Iowa State cheerleader.
Friday is effectively Nebby’s bowl game. With a win, they break the losing streak and ruin iowas chance to win the West. It’s possible that Nebby may not show up for this one, but I wouldn’t count on it. Iowa better be ready.

Friday is effectively Nebby’s bowl game. With a win, they break the losing streak and ruin iowas chance to win the West. It’s possible that Nebby may not show up for this one, but I wouldn’t count on it. Iowa better be ready.
I think they would like to play spoiler if they get a chance. If Iowa can jump on them early, they could have even a few guys decide that it's not going to be their day and fold. Might be good to break tendency on defense and dial up pressure early and try to force a couple early turnovers. Get some scores or at least some short fields.

I think they would like to play spoiler if they get a chance. If Iowa can jump on them early, they could have even a few guys decide that it's not going to be their day and fold. Might be good to break tendency on defense and dial up pressure early and try to force a couple early turnovers. Get some scores or at least some short fields.
Wisky pushed them around on the LOS. Then Mertz did his Mertz thing. Keep turnovers down and Hawks win going away. Good medicine for the O line

Last four weeks have been tough for you, huh Dargo?
I’m all for Iowa victories no matter how they’re earned, and I’m happy to celebrate with and for our players and coaches. That said, nobody should be under any illusions that these last 4 consecutive wins were because of our offense or that our issues at OC have suddenly been solved. This offense and our OC still have major issues and substantial changes still need to happen after this season with regard to both (i.e., major offensive overhaul and new OC).

I don't think anyone thinks the offense is fixed, so to speak. The offense is somewhat better now than it was early in the season....and I say that knowing they have played easier opponents lately.

I agree that a change needs to be made at OC. However, I don't think the offense needs a "major overhaul". The O line will be much better next year. This was a learning/developmental year (before anyone jumps up my ass....I know that we shouldn't be in a position to have to have a developmental year...it is what it is). I think they need to find a good lineman in the portal...someone with good versatility. If they can find the right guy....I'm confident the line will be vastly improved. That will "fix" a lot of what has been broken this year.

Assuming Keagan is back next year, our receiving crew will be decent with Johnson, Bruce, Vines, and Brecht as key guys with experience. Add Lachey as a stud TE and I think we are pretty solid. Would be nice if they found a good junior WR with experience in the portal to add.

The running back room looks pretty strong, honestly. Kaleb as the feature back and Leshon getting good work too. Both a year older, stronger, and smarter. Gavin Williams at least brings experience. I expect Patterson to play much more next year and he'll add speed and depth.

Starting with a new OC......and with a much improved line, solid receivers, and pretty damn good RB(s) the key will be QB (obviously). If Petras comes back and the other offensive pieces are as I described above, we'll have a solid/average offensive unit overall. If Petras walks away....then we better hope Labas is ready...and he can do what nearly everyone on this board suggests he can do. If not, then we'll have to play May or a true freshman. Padilla isn't the answer....and he probably won't be here anyway. Back to Labas....I'm not at all sold on him. If he had even reasonable talent he would have positioned himself second in line behind Petras (and ahead of Padilla) and we would have seen him play at some point this year. I think he's likely a bust and probably never sees the field as a Hawkeye. If I'm correct.....we will have a major issue at the QB position next year....unless....brace yourself....we get Petras back for his Covid year.

I'll hang up and listen. Let her rip.

Brian had all week to drum up that brilliant call. After he used all the scripted plays it was dog shit offense as usual until the last 2 minutes.
"Brian had a brilliant call"? At least one of his fans can recognize Brian's offensive genius and tell it like it is! lol

Marvin McNutt and Dochterman were on the show On Iowa Live last night, and they said had the refs called holding in the game, Ibrahim likely has about 100 yards less rushing than he had. They were showing some of the runs and the holds being made by Gopher OL. They were laughing that it had to be a pregame gathering the refs decided amongst themselves that unless something was so egregious they had to they weren't gonna call a penalty.

I think expectations for a dramatically improved OL next year are largely wishful thinking. This OL is lacking in talent as much as it is in experience, IMO. We’re hurting at OT especially. If we land Proctor, sure, we’ll be improved, but I think we need better talent much more than we need experience on the OL — especially at OT.

ADVERTISEMENT