ADVERTISEMENT

Minutes distribution

Herky T Hawk

HR Heisman
Feb 5, 2003
Creating a new thread based off of one I made in last night’s game thread.

Last night we saw a pretty superior lineup at the end of the game, especially when playing zone defense.
Bohannen, Moss, Nunge, Cook, Garza

Those 5 plus Baer when he gets back should be playing the bulk of the minutes. If Connor comes back healthy he should be our back up pg. Ellingson should be a heat check player, bring him in for a few minutes each half to see if he’s hitting shots and sit him if he isn’t. Dailey should be getting more minutes to develop him as Moss’s backup. Wagner should not be playing much as he doesn’t provide much of anything positive on offense and is probably detrimental when you consider his free throw shooting. Pemsl is a good player stuck in a body with limited athleticism which shows up in games. And Kreiner is a decent backup center that doesn’t really excel at any one thing. This also assumes Uhl has a permanent seat on the bench since it appeared to be the case last night.

Here’s how I see a likely average of minutes once everyone is back healthy.
PG- Bohannen 30-32, Connor 8-10
SG- Moss 28, Ellingson 6-8, Dailey 4-6 (If Moss can play more I’d add minutes to him)
SF- Baer 25, Nunge 15
PF- Cook 28, Nunge 4-6, Pemsl 6-8
C- Garza 25, Nunge 5, Kreiner 10 (Kreiner gets so many just because of foul trouble being common with bigs since the guards can’t keep anyone in front of them)

This provides 160 minutes to our best 6 and 40 split among backups for rest, to cope with foul trouble, and to see if any of them are hot. We’ve seen Ellingson, Pemsl, and Kreiner all get hot for a game or two so you need to give them a little bit of time to see if it can happen in any given game.

Creating a new thread based off of one I made in last night’s game thread.

Last night we saw a pretty superior lineup at the end of the game, especially when playing zone defense.
Bohannen, Moss, Nunge, Cook, Garza

Those 5 plus Baer when he gets back should be playing the bulk of the minutes. If Connor comes back healthy he should be our back up pg. Ellingson should be a heat check player, bring him in for a few minutes each half to see if he’s hitting shots and sit him if he isn’t. Dailey should be getting more minutes to develop him as Moss’s backup. Wagner should not be playing much as he doesn’t provide much of anything positive on offense and is probably detrimental when you consider his free throw shooting. Pemsl is a good player stuck in a body with limited athleticism which shows up in games. And Kreiner is a decent backup center that doesn’t really excel at any one thing. This also assumes Uhl has a permanent seat on the bench since it appeared to be the case last night.

Here’s how I see a likely average of minutes once everyone is back healthy.
PG- Bohannen 30-32, Connor 8-10
SG- Moss 28, Ellingson 6-8, Dailey 4-6 (If Moss can play more I’d add minutes to him)
SF- Baer 25, Nunge 15
PF- Cook 28, Nunge 4-6, Pemsl 6-8
C- Garza 25, Nunge 5, Kreiner 10 (Kreiner gets so many just because of foul trouble being common with bigs since the guards can’t keep anyone in front of them)

This provides 160 minutes to our best 6 and 40 split among backups for rest, to cope with foul trouble, and to see if any of them are hot. We’ve seen Ellingson, Pemsl, and Kreiner all get hot for a game or two so you need to give them a little bit of time to see if it can happen in any given game.

What you outline is certainly possible. How well the players play will determine what happens. Nunge is very good. He will have games he struggles against good competition, but you can tell he's used to playing against good competition in high school. The best players need to play, that's all I ask.

I mostly agree with this take. I like Wagner a lot as a person and a Hawk, but Nunge and Baer just have more upside. He would get minutes on most Hawk teams in the past 20 years but this team is just loaded with forwards.

I disagree on Pemsl. He led BigTen in FG% last year. His great footwork makes up for his lack of athleticism. He needs at least 15 mins a game.

I also disagree on Ellingson. He’s not a PG, but is stepping up to take on that role, which the team really needs. He’s a decent backup SG - not a great backup PG - but glad he is willing to step up and do it. If Dailey beats him out that’s fine, but I trust Fran to play the best player. There are not union cards here like you sometimes see with the football team. Uhl bears that out.

Reactions: nu2u
Why the hate on Wagner? He's got a 17.3% offensive rebounding rate. If he's able to maintain that, he's got to play at least 12-15 minutes while Garza or Cook are resting. Even if he's not scoring off the rebounds, he's extending possessions and getting our better scorers more opportunities.

Why the hate on Wagner? He's got a 17.3% offensive rebounding rate. If he's able to maintain that, he's got to play at least 12-15 minutes while Garza or Cook are resting. Even if he's not scoring off the rebounds, he's extending possessions and getting our better scorers more opportunities.
It isn’t Wagner hate as I don’t think any of us would hate a kid who works his butt off like Wagner seems to do. Its recognizing that Kreiner and Pemsl have fewer holes in their game than Wagner and expecting them to get the minutes at backup PF and C. And realizing that Wagner doesn’t remotely have the skills to be a SF.

Wagner is a good athlete who hustles and has a good attitude. But he’s basically non-existent in a detrimental manner since teams don’t have to guard him on the perimeter on offense and while he may be our best one on one defender in the front court, that isn’t saying much. With Garza, Cook, Nunge, Baer, Pemsl, and Kreiner I’m not too worried about rebounding by our front court. Not enough to play a guy that pretty much only plays some defense and rebounds. That might change if he could hit his fts at a decent percentage, but we haven’t seen any improvement in that realm so we pretty much can’t play him at the end of any close games. There will be games this season where we need him because of injuries or fouls committed by our inexperienced players, especially once conference games kick in. But unless his shooting improves I could honestly see him being buried at the end of the bench like Uhl is by next season after a year of improvement by all of the younger bigs.

I wonder if he would give an honest thought to switching sports if he gets buried on the depth chart or after his b-ball eligibility expires because he could potentially be a good TE. Ohio State was showing interest in him to play football but never offered because he was committed to us for b-ball.

ADVERTISEMENT