ADVERTISEMENT

Misinformation abound! As several reporters lie about Non-existent filibuster.

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Some folks should be getting a call from the truth ministry any moment now. Yes. Article is from FOX.

Various reporters incorrectly claimed that the Senate vote over a Democrat abortion bill was halted by a filibuster on Wednesday.

The Women’s Health Protection Act. which intended to guarantee abortion access throughout the nation, failed to reach the 60 votes required for it to pass. The final vote was 51-49 across party lines with West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin joining the 50 Republicans in voting no.
Although the bill failed to reach majority support, some reporters described the vote as failing to be passed due to a filibuster from Republicans.

Associated Press White House reporter Zeke Miller reported on the vote tweeting, "Senate Democrats' bill to write Roe v. Wade into law blocked by GOP-led filibuster as Supreme Court weighs abortion case."

CNN’s Chief Congressional Correspondent Manu Raju similarly tweeted, "49-51, Senate Dems fall 11 votes shy of breaking a Republican-led filibuster to advance bill on abortion rights. Manchin the lone Democratic NO vote. No Republicans voted in the affirmative."

Manu Raju wrote 49-51, Senate Dems fall 11 votes shy of breaking a Republican-led filibuster to advance bill on abortion rights. Manchin the lone Democratic NO vote. No Republicans voted in the affirmative.

Manu Raju wrote "49-51, Senate Dems fall 11 votes shy of breaking a Republican-led filibuster to advance bill on abortion rights. Manchin the lone Democratic NO vote. No Republicans voted in the affirmative." (Twitter)
ABC News Coordinating Congressional Reporter Trish Turner later wrote, "Republicans successfully filibuster the Dems' abortion rights bill. Schumer says after that this is just the beginning of votes on this issue."

Trish Turner tweeted Republicans successfully filibuster the Dems' abortion rights bill. Schumer says after that this is just the beginning of votes on this issue.

Trish Turner tweeted "Republicans successfully filibuster the Dems' abortion rights bill. Schumer says after that this is just the beginning of votes on this issue." (Twitter)
The pattern continued outside of Twitter with an MSNBC report of the vote by Steve Benen describing the vote under the headline "GOP filibuster derails bill to codify Roe v. Wade protections."

"The Women’s Health Protection Act, designed to codify Roe v. Wade protections, was derailed today by a Republican filibuster, but the fight isn’t over," Benen wrote.

NBC’s Sahil Kapur also promoted the headline "Senate Democrats' bill to keep abortion legal nationwide falls to GOP-led filibuster."

MSNBC headline reads GOP filibuster derails bill to codify Roe v. Wade protections.

MSNBC headline reads "GOP filibuster derails bill to codify Roe v. Wade protections." (MSNBC)
The misleading description of the vote extended to Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who called for ending the filibuster shortly after the vote.

"I believe in democracy, and I don't believe the minority should have the ability to block things that the majority wants to do. That's not in the Constitution. What we’re talking about right now are the individual rights and liberties of half the population of the United States of America. I think that’s enough to say it’s time to get rid of the filibuster," Warren said.
Several commentators called out this framing of the vote, ignoring that the bill couldn’t even reach majority support in the Senate.

National Review senior writer David Harsanyi tweeted, "Filibuster. Also, Dems don't have the votes to pass it with a simple majority."

David Harsanyi tweeted Filibuster. Also, Dems don't have the votes to pass it with a simple majority.

David Harsanyi tweeted "Filibuster. Also, Dems don't have the votes to pass it with a simple majority." (Twitter)
National Journalism Center Director Becket Adams wrote, "the bill didn't codify Roe and it wasn't blocked by a filibuster. it failed to get 50 votes. but other than that, some solid work by the AP."

Becket Adams tweeted the bill didn't codify Roe and it wasn't blocked by a filibuster. it failed to get 50 votes. but other than that, some solid work by the AP.

Becket Adams tweeted "the bill didn't codify Roe and it wasn't blocked by a filibuster. it failed to get 50 votes. but other than that, some solid work by the AP." (Twitter)
Media Research Center Deputy Managing Editor Nick Fondacaro responded to Miller’s tweet noting, "This is the president of the White House Correspondent Association. Everything about this is a lie. It wouldn’t have codified Roe and it wasn’t blocked by a filibuster. Why are you lying?"

Nick Fondacaro tweeted This is the president of the White House Correspondent Association. Everything about this is a lie. It wouldn’t have codified Roe and it wasn’t blocked by a filibuster. Why are you lying?

Nick Fondacaro tweeted "This is the president of the White House Correspondent Association. Everything about this is a lie. It wouldn’t have codified Roe and it wasn’t blocked by a filibuster. Why are you lying?" (Twitter)
Constitutional Law Professor Adrian Vermeule tweeted, "Civics teachers around the country alarmed as they see ‘filibuster’ redefined to mean ‘loses 51-49’"

Constitutional Law Professor Adrian Vermeule tweeted Civics teachers around the country alarmed as they see ‘filibuster’ redefined to mean ‘loses 51-49’

Constitutional Law Professor Adrian Vermeule tweeted "Civics teachers around the country alarmed as they see ‘filibuster’ redefined to mean ‘loses 51-49’" (Twitter)
The Women's Health Protection Act originally passed in the House in 2021 but was later blocked in the Senate in February 2022. Several liberals have criticized Manchin for refusing to vote with the Democrats in favor of the bill

Reactions: hexumhawk
regardless over whether this was fillibustered or not….

I remember, back in the good old days, that the senators had to pretty much just hold the floor for the entire time….reading the phone book, jabbering, whatever until all hours of the morning….but it would eventually end…then somewhere along the line the whole filibuster concept became some sort of un breakable super weapon…..does anyone know what happened?

Was this a vote on the bill itself, or a vote to break the filibuster so they could actually vote on the bill?

Asking seriously.
From what I've read, it was the cloture vote, meaning end debate on the measure and give it an up or down vote.
So that should classify as a filibuster, as it takes 3/5ths of the Senate to concur to end debate under their rules.

Had the measure passed cloture, Manchin would have been a vote against, so it wouldn't have passed anyway, but it was 'defeated' by the filibuster before reaching that point.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1172/vote_117_2_00170.htm#position

The point is that since Obama, republicans have blocked almost everything by filibuster, so dems can’t win with 51 votes, but they need a filibuster proof majority of like 60. And because the Senate is so fvcked up because it gives states like North Dakota an equal number of senators to a state like California, it ensures a small minority can overrule and rule. Most all tiny and small populations states are red. There’s no more anti-democratic body in the developed world than the US Senate. It is designed to make the will of even a super majority of American voters be ignored by the elites. It is a relic of slavery.

I've been assured by this board that this sort of thing doesn't happen. I'll take Joes word over any of the plethora of sources you just sited.

Weird I was told trying to limit these kind of things was infringing on people's Freedom of Speech. It's weird how quickly each side will flip when the talking points flip parties. They literally defend it in one moment and vilify it the next. I couldn't keep it straight.

I've always been of the opinion that misinformation should be stopped but I appear to be in the minority.

Some folks should be getting a call from the truth ministry any moment now. Yes. Article is from FOX.

Various reporters incorrectly claimed that the Senate vote over a Democrat abortion bill was halted by a filibuster on Wednesday.

The Women’s Health Protection Act. which intended to guarantee abortion access throughout the nation, failed to reach the 60 votes required for it to pass. The final vote was 51-49 across party lines with West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin joining the 50 Republicans in voting no.
Although the bill failed to reach majority support, some reporters described the vote as failing to be passed due to a filibuster from Republicans.

Associated Press White House reporter Zeke Miller reported on the vote tweeting, "Senate Democrats' bill to write Roe v. Wade into law blocked by GOP-led filibuster as Supreme Court weighs abortion case."

CNN’s Chief Congressional Correspondent Manu Raju similarly tweeted, "49-51, Senate Dems fall 11 votes shy of breaking a Republican-led filibuster to advance bill on abortion rights. Manchin the lone Democratic NO vote. No Republicans voted in the affirmative."

Manu Raju wrote 49-51, Senate Dems fall 11 votes shy of breaking a Republican-led filibuster to advance bill on abortion rights. Manchin the lone Democratic NO vote. No Republicans voted in the affirmative.

Manu Raju wrote "49-51, Senate Dems fall 11 votes shy of breaking a Republican-led filibuster to advance bill on abortion rights. Manchin the lone Democratic NO vote. No Republicans voted in the affirmative." (Twitter)
ABC News Coordinating Congressional Reporter Trish Turner later wrote, "Republicans successfully filibuster the Dems' abortion rights bill. Schumer says after that this is just the beginning of votes on this issue."

Trish Turner tweeted Republicans successfully filibuster the Dems' abortion rights bill. Schumer says after that this is just the beginning of votes on this issue.' abortion rights bill. Schumer says after that this is just the beginning of votes on this issue.

Trish Turner tweeted "Republicans successfully filibuster the Dems' abortion rights bill. Schumer says after that this is just the beginning of votes on this issue." (Twitter)
The pattern continued outside of Twitter with an MSNBC report of the vote by Steve Benen describing the vote under the headline "GOP filibuster derails bill to codify Roe v. Wade protections."

"The Women’s Health Protection Act, designed to codify Roe v. Wade protections, was derailed today by a Republican filibuster, but the fight isn’t over," Benen wrote.

NBC’s Sahil Kapur also promoted the headline "Senate Democrats' bill to keep abortion legal nationwide falls to GOP-led filibuster."

MSNBC headline reads GOP filibuster derails bill to codify Roe v. Wade protections.

MSNBC headline reads "GOP filibuster derails bill to codify Roe v. Wade protections." (MSNBC)
The misleading description of the vote extended to Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who called for ending the filibuster shortly after the vote.

"I believe in democracy, and I don't believe the minority should have the ability to block things that the majority wants to do. That's not in the Constitution. What we’re talking about right now are the individual rights and liberties of half the population of the United States of America. I think that’s enough to say it’s time to get rid of the filibuster," Warren said.
Several commentators called out this framing of the vote, ignoring that the bill couldn’t even reach majority support in the Senate.

National Review senior writer David Harsanyi tweeted, "Filibuster. Also, Dems don't have the votes to pass it with a simple majority."

David Harsanyi tweeted Filibuster. Also, Dems don't have the votes to pass it with a simple majority.'t have the votes to pass it with a simple majority.

David Harsanyi tweeted "Filibuster. Also, Dems don't have the votes to pass it with a simple majority." (Twitter)
National Journalism Center Director Becket Adams wrote, "the bill didn't codify Roe and it wasn't blocked by a filibuster. it failed to get 50 votes. but other than that, some solid work by the AP."

Becket Adams tweeted the bill didn't codify Roe and it wasn't blocked by a filibuster. it failed to get 50 votes. but other than that, some solid work by the AP.'t codify Roe and it wasn't blocked by a filibuster. it failed to get 50 votes. but other than that, some solid work by the AP.

Becket Adams tweeted "the bill didn't codify Roe and it wasn't blocked by a filibuster. it failed to get 50 votes. but other than that, some solid work by the AP." (Twitter)
Media Research Center Deputy Managing Editor Nick Fondacaro responded to Miller’s tweet noting, "This is the president of the White House Correspondent Association. Everything about this is a lie. It wouldn’t have codified Roe and it wasn’t blocked by a filibuster. Why are you lying?"

Nick Fondacaro tweeted This is the president of the White House Correspondent Association. Everything about this is a lie. It wouldn’t have codified Roe and it wasn’t blocked by a filibuster. Why are you lying?

Nick Fondacaro tweeted "This is the president of the White House Correspondent Association. Everything about this is a lie. It wouldn’t have codified Roe and it wasn’t blocked by a filibuster. Why are you lying?" (Twitter)
Constitutional Law Professor Adrian Vermeule tweeted, "Civics teachers around the country alarmed as they see ‘filibuster’ redefined to mean ‘loses 51-49’"

Constitutional Law Professor Adrian Vermeule tweeted Civics teachers around the country alarmed as they see ‘filibuster’ redefined to mean ‘loses 51-49’

Constitutional Law Professor Adrian Vermeule tweeted "Civics teachers around the country alarmed as they see ‘filibuster’ redefined to mean ‘loses 51-49’" (Twitter)
The Women's Health Protection Act originally passed in the House in 2021 but was later blocked in the Senate in February 2022. Several liberals have criticized Manchin for refusing to vote with the Democrats in favor of the bill

Roll Call Vote 117th Congress - 2nd Session​

Vote Summary

Question: On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed (Motion to Invoke Cloture Re: Motion to Proceed to S. 4132 )

Vote Number: 170
Vote Date: May 11, 2022, 03:33 PM

Required For Majority: 1/2
Vote Result: Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Rejected

Measure Number: S. 4132
Measure Title: A bill to protect a person's ability to determine whether to continue or end a pregnancy, and to protect a health care provider's ability to provide abortion services.
Vote Counts:
YEAs49

NAYs

That's a vote to end a filibuster. The reporters got it right. Fox *SHOCKING* was wrong. Their failure to understand basic Senate procedures is...surprising.

You got bamboozled, OP.

Last edited:
I've always been of the opinion that misinformation should be stopped but I appear to be in the minority.
I just don’t understand anyone who thinks a government that brought them the Gulf of Tonkin and the imminent threat of Saddam’s WMD stockpiles are actually the people we need to trust with declaring what is and isn’t true.
Given trust in the government hovering around 30% this notion seems remarkably tone deaf.

I just don’t understand anyone who thinks a government that brought them the Gulf of Tonkin and the imminent threat of Saddam’s WMD stockpiles are actually the people we need to trust with declaring what is and isn’t true.
Given trust in the government hovering around 30% this notion seems remarkably tone deaf.

I'm mostly talking about the real fake stuff. The government was in on 9/11, Sandy Hook was a hoax, etc. I understand there are things in this world that aren't 100% proven yet, but those aren't the topics I'm talking about. It's the real delusional stuff that should be policed and removed.

Let's use Saddam’s WMD as an example. Back when it was first announced most did believe he had biological and chemical weapons. Look what he did to the Kurt's. So that wasn't 100% false he didn't have them. I don't agree with the invasion of Iraq but Americans fears were heightened at the time.

In hindsight Saddam didn't have much if anything in WMDs. Nowhere close to what the US Intelligence Dept, countries like Germany, etc all thought he did. That information should not be spread any longer.

Last edited:

Roll Call Vote 117th Congress - 2nd Session​

Vote Summary

Question: On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed (Motion to Invoke Cloture Re: Motion to Proceed to S. 4132 )

Vote Number: 170
Vote Date: May 11, 2022, 03:33 PM

Required For Majority: 1/2
Vote Result: Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Rejected

Measure Number: S. 4132
Measure Title: A bill to protect a person's ability to determine whether to continue or end a pregnancy, and to protect a health care provider's ability to provide abortion services.
Vote Counts:
YEAs49

NAYs

That's a vote to end a filibuster. The reporters got it right. Fox *SHOCKING* was wrong. Their failure to understand basic Senate procedures is...surprising.

You got bamboozled, OP.
This is embarrassing for FOX and OP.

I'm mostly talking about the real fake stuff. The government was in on 9/11, Sandy Hook was a hoax, etc.
So you think the government can best dispel the conspiracy by creating an entity that declares it false?
That’s…. optimistic.

I understand there are things in this world that aren't 100% proven yet, but those aren't the topics I'm talking about
The wannabe censors don’t have your patience.
e.g. Biden’s laptop

One of the people pushing disinformation about that laptop has already been tapped to lead the Department of Homeland Security’s Disinformation Governance Board.
This thing is a lost cause out of the gate

It's the real delusional stuff that should be policed and removed.
The idea there should even be a Department of Homeland Security Disinformation Governance Board is the real delusion.

Let's use Saddam’s WMD as an example. Back when it was first announced most did believe he had biological and chemical weapons. Look what he did to the Kurt's. So that wasn't 100% false he didn't have them. I don't agree with the invasion of Iraq but Americans fears were heightened at the time.
So if Americans are scared and people in government are pushing disinformation about Iraq’s WMD stockpiles and programs, you think the Department of Homeland Security Disinformation Governance Board is going to chime in and set everyone straight, or back the assertions from a government that Saddam can strike with WMD within minutes?

In hindsight Saddam didn't have much if anything in WMDs. Nowhere close to what the US Intelligence Dept, countries like Germany, etc all thought he did. That information should not be spread any longer.
That sounds useless.
Less than useless, really, because we both know it will first push the lie until the lie can no longer be pushed.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
It's not incorrect . . . they may be glossing over the fact that the cloture vote didn't even get 50 votes and wouldn't have passed anyways. But it's not wrong that it's technically a filibuster.

Reactions: pjhawk
It's not incorrect . . . they may be glossing over the fact that the cloture vote didn't even get 50 votes and wouldn't have passed anyways. But it's not wrong that it's technically a filibuster.
It's not "what caused" the codification to fail. The fact they never had the votes to begin with is what did it in. And Warren's quote is so stupid it's funny. She actually said, "I believe in democracy, and I don't believe the minority should have the ability to block things that the majority wants to do" while complaining about a majority getting what they wanted.

Warren: A minority shouldn't decide things.

A majority decides not to pass a bill.

Warren: That's not right that a majority got what they wanted.

It's not "what caused" the codification to fail. The fact they never had the votes to begin with is what did it in. And Warren's quote is so stupid it's funny. She actually said, "I believe in democracy, and I don't believe the minority should have the ability to block things that the majority wants to do" while complaining about a majority getting what they wanted.

On a side note....I don't think some of the purple state Dems that voted for it actually read it.

They'll be beaten over the head with that vote if they're up for reelection...

Chuck should have put forward the Collins/Murkowsky bill....did his caucus no favors with this vote.

On a side note....I don't think some of the purple state Dems that voted for it actually read it.

They'll be beaten over the head with that vote if they're up for reelection...

Chuck should have put forward the Collins/Murkowsky bill....did his caucus no favors with this vote.

I havn't been keeping up on this because I knew neither would pass due to filibuster. Can you give the cliff's notes on what is in each and what the differences are?

I wasn't aware Collins/Murkowsky put forward a bill.

The point is that since Obama, republicans have blocked almost everything by filibuster, so dems can’t win with 51 votes, but they need a filibuster proof majority of like 60. And because the Senate is so fvcked up because it gives states like North Dakota an equal number of senators to a state like California, it ensures a small minority can overrule and rule. Most all tiny and small populations states are red. There’s no more anti-democratic body in the developed world than the US Senate. It is designed to make the will of even a super majority of American voters be ignored by the elites. It is a relic of slavery.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are a moron. Have you ever done any research on the founding of this country? The only way the original Constitution could have passed was to assure that every state was given fair representation. The house was set up as direct representatives of the people thus the number of house members were determined by the population of each individual state. The Senate on the other hand, were the representatives of the states so every state got the same number of senators because every state was equal to one another. Senators were not even supposed to voted on by the people they were originally appointed by the state legislators until that was changed by the 17th amendment.

That's why every state has the same number of senators and it is a pretty fair and good system.

the Senate is so fvcked up because it gives states like North Dakota an equal number of senators to a state like California, it ensures a small minority can overrule and rule. Most all tiny and small populations states are red.
It’s interesting how I never hear anyone complaining that New Mexico, Hawaii, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Delaware, and Vermont collectively have 12 senators - all Democrats - even though they collectively have only about one-third the population of Florida.

She's talking about the majority of Americans. JFC

• Haha
Reactions: Jan Itor
It’s interesting how I never hear anyone complaining that New Mexico, Hawaii, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Delaware, and Vermont collectively have 12 senators - all Democrats - even though they collectively have only about one-third the population of Florida.
It is not really that surprising when the senators are Democrats, only North Dakota and Wyoming are the real problems at this point. The lack of understanding in regards to the role of the US Senate is always interesting

She's talking about the majority of Americans. JFC
No she's not, you dope. Unless you really think she's talking about Americans "blocking" bills and not congress people filibustering. Which she actually mentions at the end of the quote. That and what's "not mentioned in the Constitution". LOL. JFC indeed. Read again. Maybe you'll get it.

Reactions: biggreydogs
No she's not, you dope. Unless you really think she's talking about Americans "blocking" bills and not congress people filibustering. Which she actually mentions at the end of the quote. That and what's "not mentioned in the Constitution". LOL. JFC indeed. Read again. Maybe you'll get it.

So dumb. She is explicitly talking about the majority of Americans who support the right for women to seek an abortion. A minority is being represented as the majority in the Senate.

So dumb. She is explicitly talking about the majority of Americans who support the right for women to seek an abortion. A minority is being represented as the majority in the Senate.
Holy hell. The MSNBC reporter even says she was referring to ending the filibuster. Which is a minority preventing a majority from passing laws. But you go ahead and keep pretending you know what the hell's going on.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., was blasted by critics Wednesday for oddly claiming that a "minority" of senators blocked passage of an abortion bill despite a majority of senators voting against it.

"I believe in democracy, and I don't believe that the minority should have the ability to block things that the majority want to do. That's not in the Constitution," the liberal senator told CNN reporter Manu Raju following the vote.

Yes, thats by design - states are equal, hence the same number of senators. You want population based representation? You have that - literally called "representatives".

Its odd you whine about ND, but your omission of Vermont, Delaware, RI, Main, NH, Hawaii, etc seems to say your issue isnt population size. And ill bet youd support DC becoming a state too eh? Flip it on its head, TX and FL account for nearly 16% of the entire population of the country, but combine for only 4 senators. Its a knife that slices both ways (i.e. "works") so dont be daft.

Last edited:
Holy hell. The MSNBC reporter even says she was referring to ending the filibuster. Which is a minority preventing a majority from passing laws. But you go ahead and keep pretending you know what the hell's going on.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., was blasted by critics Wednesday for oddly claiming that a "minority" of senators blocked passage of an abortion bill despite a majority of senators voting against it.

"I believe in democracy, and I don't believe that the minority should have the ability to block things that the majority want to do. That's not in the Constitution," the liberal senator told CNN reporter Manu Raju following the vote.
Warren is a dope, but the fact remains the measure failed in the cloture vote, which is the vote to end debate.
That’s a filibuster even if a majority support the filibuster.
They didn’t actually vote on the legislation. It would have failed had they agreed to end debate, but it never got that far, because a majority refused to end debate on the bill.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT