ADVERTISEMENT

Miss. lawmaker says 12-year-old incest victims should carry pregnancies to term

If state governments codify it as a legal and private matter there is no need to involve the SCOTUS.
Vote for people who see it that way at the STATE level.

It is a RIGHT as defined in the 14 Amendment. When the SCOTUS takes it up again it needs to specify abortion as such. It then applies to ALL without exception. It is not a state issue.

The states most opposing abortion have the highest rates of infant mortality, and without doing research I'll wager the highest rates of criminal cases of relating to juveniles.

Reactions: cigaretteman
But but but life...conception...fetus doesn’t know it’s being hosted by a 12 year old...🙄

All I can say is that if my daughter had been raped by anyone she would have gone wherever we needed to terminate any resulting pregnancy.

If they try this crap in Florida I suddenly feel the need to NOT vote Republican.
Well this is at least progress. Now that GOP dumb****ery could impact your life in a negative way you would theoretically vote against it if it comes to your state, lol.

Well this is at least progress. Now that GOP dumb****ery could impact your life in a negative way you would theoretically vote against it if it comes to your state, lol.
My childbearing days are over. But women’s rights are forever.
Got it?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
What’s your stance on guns?

The state (that is, we) has an interest in gun safety but also in an armed population (not to mention 2A rights).

Some regulations and restrictions are proper.

We’d have to go item by item for me to give a stance.

As some of you know, I am anti-choice, even in the case of rape and incest, as I believe legally protected life should begin at in-utero conception, even in the case of a forced conception (it’s still a life to me). My one exception is to save the mother (have to choose one life over the other). But…

I think I could support another exception: Pregnancy of a girl under (say) 16 from rape or incest. Below that age (maybe) just too much to ask her to bear.

If it was possible to transport you into an experience of a rape and subsequent pregnancy…I’d love to hear your thoughts. Pretty easy to chirp from the cheap seats.

I would think for a 12 year old carrying a child to term would be fairly high risk that it might fit under the exceptions of saving the mother's life.
I totally agree with you… BUT…
The way that many of the States’ recent legislation reads is that the health exception only applies when the physical health of the mother is in “imminent danger” (e.g. MO’s new total abortion ban is written this way).

This is problematic for a number of reasons but one that is already come up is that doctors and hospitals are reluctant to act (too soon) on ectopic pregnancies. Hospital legal counsel is fearful that acting before the mother’s life is observably in physical distress would place them in violation of the law. They have asked for clarification but our Oh-so-wise, non-medically trained legislators can offer nothing but vague and general platitudes.

Pregnant women will most certainly end up dying because of this.

I totally agree with you… BUT…
The way that many of the States’ recent legislation reads is that the health exception only applies when the physical health of the mother is in “imminent danger” (e.g. MO’s new total abortion ban is written this way).

This is problematic for a number of reasons but one that is already come up is that doctors and hospitals are reluctant to act (too soon) on ectopic pregnancies. Hospital legal counsel is fearful that acting before the mother’s life is observably in physical distress would place them in violation of the law. They have asked for clarification but our Oh-so-wise, non-medically trained legislators can offer nothing but vague and general platitudes.

Pregnant women will most certainly end up dying because of this.

Not just ectopic pregnancies. Miscarriages also.

And women will respond at the ballot box.
I predict a lot of long buried little secrets being exposed on these Neanderthals and their wives and some previous unfortunate and inconvenient “messiness” will expose these hypocrites.

Seriously? There are people who have protested abortions, gotten an abortion, and then turned right around and protested abortions.

Reactions: mattymoknows
Seriously? There are people who have protested abortions, gotten an abortion, and then turned right around and protested abortions.

I think this is a person trying to capitalize on something and you’re (hopefully). Waaaay overestimating the number of women who “think” like her.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79
As are all citizens rights, yet you don’t seem to care unless it affects your kind. Hypocrite
ESAD okay?
you truly have no idea who I am and what I believe about women’s rights over their own bodies.

I think this is a person trying to capitalize on something and you’re (hopefully). Waaaay overestimating the number of women who “think” like her.

Yes, she's trying to capitalize on an article she wrote 22 years ago.

Reactions: goldmom
Yes, she's trying to capitalize on an article she wrote 22 years ago.

I will only say that I was in college before RvW and birth control pills were widely available for students at the campus health center. Yet there were still friends who decided they needed a “weekend in NYC”.
If they have regrets 50+ years later...well, I can only say we ALL have a few regrets regardless of our gender. And so many couples back then did the “had to get married” thing. I knew several. Every single one of those marriages ended. I’d say there’s regret there, right?

You couldn’t GIVE me a copy of this woman’s story. Her body, her choice, her life. As it should be. Not interested.

I will only say that I was in college before RvW and birth control pills were widely available for students at the campus health center. Yet there were still friends who decided they needed a “weekend in NYC”.
If they have regrets 50+ years later...well, I can only say we ALL have a few regrets regardless of our gender. And so many couples back then did the “had to get married” thing. I knew several. Every single one of those marriages ended. I’d say there’s regret there, right?

You couldn’t GIVE me a copy of this woman’s story. Her body, her choice, her life. As it should be. Not interested.

What are you talking about? The article I wrote is about anti-choice (pro-forced birth) people who got abortions and then continued to be anti-choicers.

Reactions: goldmom
She gathered stories from other people. She didn't write about her own experiences. Did you even read the article?

I’m not reading about those women. I don’t really care what their stupid lives are like and what they did or what they regret.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
It's not about regretting abortions. It's about people who said "abortion for me, not for thee."

“I have done several abortions on women who have regularly picketed my clinics, including a 16 year old schoolgirl who came back to picket the day after her abortion, about three years ago. During her whole stay at the clinic, we felt that she was not quite right, but there were no real warning bells. She insisted that the abortion was her idea and assured us that all was OK. She went through the procedure very smoothly and was discharged with no problems. A quite routine operation. Next morning she was with her mother and several school mates in front of the clinic with the usual anti posters and chants. It appears that she got the abortion she needed and still displayed the appropriate anti views expected of her by her parents, teachers, and peers.” (Physician, Australia)

“I’ve had several cases over the years in which the anti-abortion patient had rationalized in one way or another that her case was the only exception, but the one that really made an impression was the college senior who was the president of her campus Right-to-Life organization, meaning that she had worked very hard in that organization for several years. As I was completing her procedure, I asked what she planned to do about her high office in the RTL organization. Her response was a wide-eyed, ‘You’re not going to tell them, are you!?’ When assured that I was not, she breathed a sigh of relief, explaining how important that position was to her and how she wouldn’t want this to interfere with it.” (Physician, Texas)

“We too have seen our share of anti-choice women, ones the counselors usually grit their teeth over. Just last week a woman announced loudly enough for all to hear in the recovery room, that she thought abortion should be illegal. Amazingly, this was her second abortion within the last few months, having gotten pregnant again within a month of the first abortion. The nurse handled it by talking about all the carnage that went on before abortion was legalized and how fortunate she was to be receiving safe, professional care. However, this young woman continued to insist it was wrong and should be made illegal. Finally the nurse said, ‘Well, I guess we won’t be seeing you here again, not that you’re not welcome.’ Later on, another patient who had overheard this exchange thanked the nurse for her remarks.” (Clinic Administrator, Alberta)

There are other stories, not that you'll read them apparently.

I’m not reading about those women. I don’t really care what their stupid lives are like and what they did or what they regret.
You certainly send mixed signals. Hard to tell what your convictions are. I wouldn't care it I didn't respect your opinions.

Reactions: Wendy79

It hardly surprises me that the world is full of hypocrites.

No not really.
I’m that social moderate who’s a fiscal conservative.

Social idealism more than justifies its expense. Without it society is anemic and lethargic, not prone to growth and vitality.

Oh, and don't leave out the better half able to afford paying for abortions for the ladies/girls they impregnate, then drop in the gutter.

What bothers me more is when someone has been shown to do that and then gets re-elected. That happened several years ago with some congressmen from Tennessee.

ADVERTISEMENT