ADVERTISEMENT

Missed this one, Iowa now has open enrollment anytime, anywhere as many times as you want.

Good or bad?
Bad-
1) One school loses the money mid year and the other doesn't get money until next year.
2) Kid transfers in May and the school losing the student spent the year educating and gets penalized.
3) How many people were hired to take care of the paper work at state level?
4) Left unstated is how this will **** up high school sports. Are the current regs going to change? You can see teams in smaller districts mid year have not being able to field teams even if current regs are not changed.
5) Parents can abstain from being real parents and pull kids from school if they get upset. Instead of teaching kids how to work thru problems.

Good-
1) Freedom to chose your kids easiest path in life

Reactions: SSG T
Bad-
1) One school loses the money mid year and the other doesn't get money until next year.
2) Kid transfers in May and the school losing the student spent the year educating and gets penalized.
4) Left unstated is how this will **** up high school sports. Are the current regs going to change? You can see teams in smaller districts mid year have not being able to field teams even if current regs are not changed.
5) Parents can abstain from being real parents and pull kids from school if they get upset. Instead of teaching kids how to work thru problems.

Good-
Good- or choose the best school for your kid’s path.

Your good should be listed as a bad.

Another bad: it will be used to transfer for sports as much or more than for academics (this isn't new)

Good: freedom to choose where the best education will come from.
Good: holds schools more accountable to perform at a high level.

Both of the 'goods' are huge. Probably makes it worth doing even with the risks of the bad.

Good- or choose the best school for your kid’s path.
And what percent of current parents are capable of understanding and making that choice? We've got a bunch of parents severely lacking in parenting skills due to not having their parents teaching them. Another set of parents politically outraged about school subjects and yet more parents too messed up from drug abuse to even know what the hell is going on?

Sorry to sound jaded, but that's been my experience

freedom-braveheart.gif

Bad-

Good-
I know a small district super who had to spend 100,000 to be able to accommodate a disabled student, transferring in, after the count. In other words, he started the year 100 grand in the hole. Again…a small Iowa district.

I mean, I don't have a problem with moving kids to another school. However, there has to be limits.

What if the receiving school doesn't have room or the teachers to add, but gets 50 new students right as school starts? Shouldn't the receiving school have a say?

The losing school should have the right to know ahead of time how many students they'll have, and how much money they'll receive, peior to the start of the school year.

Basically, there was nothing wrong with the old system. Declare your intention by a certain date, I think it was early March, get approval from the receiving school, then the schools can certify their enrollment far enough ahead to make sure the proper amount of money follows.

Also, I believe currently they have to open enroll into a bordering school, not wherever they want to send their kids. If you want to send your kid outside of the immediate area, you have to "move" there (there are ways around this, but not technically legally).

It looks like the intent of this is purely to cause more issues for public schools so they can then use that chaos as an example of how public education is "failing kids".

ADVERTISEMENT