ADVERTISEMENT

Missing Moss, Cook, and Baer, and we’re hoping to take steps forward?

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
I just hope we can hold serve this year.
Give the seniors a shot at the tournament.

But it’s going to be awfully difficult to replace these guys.

Hope I’m wrong and Touissant is AI reincarnate.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
Need Wieskamp to come up huge. Garza to be consistent and play like he’s capable. JBo to continue his role, maybe at the two. Some improvements from Pemsl and Nunge would be outstanding. Kriener continuing to do what he does.

I don’t think Iowa needs Toussaint to be an immediate stud, but hopefully him and Frederick contribute right away. That would be a nice bonus.

IMO, losing Cook will hurt more than people realize and to an extent Moss as well. Most teams generally don’t improve after losing not one, but two three year starters. So I’d imagine Iowa takes a few steps back next season, but somewhere in the 20 win range.

Need Wieskamp to come up huge. Garza to be consistent and play like he’s capable. JBo to continue his role, maybe at the two. Some improvements from Pemsl and Nunge would be outstanding. Kriener continuing to do what he does.

I don’t think Iowa needs Toussaint to be an immediate stud, but hopefully him and Frederick contribute right away. That would be a nice bonus.

IMO, losing Cook will hurt more than people realize and to an extent Moss as well. Most teams generally don’t improve after losing not one, but two three year starters. So I’d imagine Iowa takes a few steps back next season, but somewhere in the 20 win range.

Actually it happens every year

Reactions: nu2u and perryhawk
We have a tremendous core of Bohannon, Garza and Wieskamp returning. We have solid returning experience with Connor, Kriener, Nunge & Pemsl. We have some promising unknowns with Patrick, Fredrick and Toussaint. Time will tell. I'm excited with the potential.

Teams lose starters and get better. It happens quite often to teams who recruit exceptionally well, or develop players over multiple years.

Most teams who lose two three year starters improve? I’ll politely disagree.

Has it happened before and does it happen? Absolutely, but it’s far greater the exception than the rule.

Most teams who lose two three year starters improve? I’ll politely disagree.

Has it happened before and does it happen? Absolutely, but it’s far greater the exception than the rule.
You are possibly right. However, most teams don’t have multiple guys who have been in the program for 2-3 years (Nunge and Pemsl) gaining eligibility along with somebody who has been around the program and players for much longer (Pat).

Additionally, you need to consider that both Moss and Cook were significantly more influential on offense than defense, and Iowa has plenty of offensive firepower without them (return their 2nd-4th leading scorers, and gain potentially solid scorers in JN/CP). Personally, I don’t see the defense falling much below what it was last year. Baer’s production on that end will be most difficult to replace.

You are possibly right. However, most teams don’t have multiple guys who have been in the program for 2-3 years (Nunge and Pemsl) gaining eligibility along with somebody who has been around the program and players for much longer (Pat).

That is also true. I just don’t see Pemsl and Nunge stepping in for Cook, Moss and Baer and Iowa not feeling the overall effect. (And I like both Pemsl and Nunge). When you factor in the three newcomers, it definitely should lessen that effect too.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
We have guys waiting on the bench to prove they can. The team will look different, no doubt.

Not worried in the least. CP and JN can match Cooks out put.
Baer was a garbage man picking things up via turnovers and 3s because they forgot about him. If Moss had been more of a driver his mins would be a question but I think Iowa has other guys that will be able to pick up that slack. Weez started attacking more late in the season and had pretty good success.
Gut just tells me Frederick, Tou and a more mature Nunge is going to result in a touch better team BB and that assumes no one else contributes.

Reactions: jasonrann
I am really excited for the upcoming season for several reasons. While I wouldn’t say that I am glad Cook and Moss are gone, I’m glad to not have to sit around and wait for them to become consistent, dominating players I’d always hoped for.

We have good options at the #4 spot to take over for Cook. Pemsl brings attitude and IMHO, he was the difference in winning the Iowa State game last year. If Nunge is as good as Fran says he is, he could dominate with his inside/outside ability.

I am excited to see Joe T, CJ and PMac play also. Joe is the guard we have been waiting for for years. If he’s a true knee buckler and can get into the lane, our shooters are going to have TONS of open 3’s. I like what he potentially brings on the defensive end too. If PMac doesn’t redshirt, we have a solid rotation with ten good players.

Connor/Joe T
JBo/CJF
Wieskamp/PMac
Nunge/Pemsl
Garza/Kriener

We have a lot of versatility with these guys. We can go big and we could also handle a team that goes small with four guards also.

Joe T
JBo
Connor/PMac
Wieskamp
Pemsl/Nunge

We will need to start the season sharp because the schedule will be a serious grind. I’m just hoping for a shot at the NCAA Tourney and a good shot with our 2020 recruits.

the Moss departure makes me think two things have occurred. Bohannon will primarily play the two next year or CJ Frederick is ready to play serious minutes.

If Bohannon moves to the two and Connor takes over at PG with Joe T backing him up, Moss would be pretty limited.

He was also the 4th option last year and would have been our 4th option again.

I’ve said this before but this team has enough scoring. We will be fine there. Moss wasn’t an elite defender or creator so I don’t see his loss being huge. Yes he demanded a lot of respect because of his shooting ability but so will anyone who plays the two this year.

I’m excited to see how well this team moves the ball, I think our assist numbers will be very high.

Defense will be the key. I think improvement there is possible, especially with some good defensive bodies being added in Nunge, Pemsl, Joe T, and PMac.

I’d say 22 wins.

JoBO
CJF
Weezy
Garza
JN-Pemsl-RK

The first four starters are locks. Conner first guard off bench with the other two bigs mixing in with JoeT spelling at the pg

Last edited:
I don't know about taking a big step forward. In my opinion losing Moss hurts more than losing Cook. At best, the team will be even with last year's edition.

I think our 1's and 2's will be highly interchangeable: I'll list by minutes: Bohannon, CMac, Toussaint, Fredrick. Only one proven scorer in the bunch. That's where losing Moss hurts the most. A drop-off in the back court. Hopefully Toussaint can make an impact defensively.

Weiskamp at the 3, PMac backing him up. The position is probably even with last year. Hopefully PMac can be the jack-of-all-trades that Baer was. Weiskamp will be most improved player on the team.

Nunge/Pemsl at the 4. I think this position will be even to last year. Maybe a little drop in scoring, but possibly better defenders/rebounders.

Garza starting, Kreiner backing him up. Slightly better with age/experience.

So, a drop-off in the back court, and maybe even to slightly improved with the forward/center positions.

I don't know about taking a big step forward. In my opinion losing Moss hurts more than losing Cook. At best, the team will be even with last year's edition.

I think our 1's and 2's will be highly interchangeable: I'll list by minutes: Bohannon, CMac, Toussaint, Fredrick. Only one proven scorer in the bunch. That's where losing Moss hurts the most. A drop-off in the back court. Hopefully Toussaint can make an impact defensively.

Weiskamp at the 3, PMac backing him up. The position is probably even with last year. Hopefully PMac can be the jack-of-all-trades that Baer was. Weiskamp will be most improved player on the team.

Nunge/Pemsl at the 4. I think this position will be even to last year. Maybe a little drop in scoring, but possibly better defenders/rebounders.

So, a drop-off in the back court, and maybe even to slightly improved with the forward/center positions.

I appreciate where you're coming from. IMHO, you might be undervaluing our guards a little bit. While JBo is the only proven scorer, Joe T is a guard we've never had before. I think he has immense value in being able to create. While we haven't seen Fredrick yet, he shot 48% from 3 point land his senior year. He also has a great mid-range game. With better handles than Moss, I think he has a lot of value as well. I am not sure what to expect from Connor, but I do expect improvement in all aspects of his game. I guess we'll see what happens. I agree on all other points.

Reactions: 87alum87
Who the hell is Garcia?

;)

hqdefault.jpg

I appreciate where you're coming from. IMHO, you might be undervaluing our guards a little bit. While JBo is the only proven scorer, Joe T is a guard we've never had before. I think he has immense value in being able to create. While we haven't seen Fredrick yet, he shot 48% from 3 point land his senior year. He also has a great mid-range game. With better handles than Moss, I think he has a lot of value as well. I am not sure what to expect from Connor, but I do expect improvement in all aspects of his game. I guess we'll see what happens. I agree on all other points.
To add to this, I am hoping that if Fredrick misses a shot or 2 that he doesn't just stop attacking like Moss always stopped. Scoring guards need to have a short memory.

To add to this, I am hoping that if Fredrick misses a shot or 2 that he doesn't just stop attacking like Moss always stopped. Scoring guards need to have a short memory.

Spot on. I'm not sure if you saw the highlights of CJ in the state tournament his senior year. The kid is a straight up baller, great intensity. While we obviously haven't seen him play at the collegiate level, I am going to guess confidence will not be an issue for him.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
JoBO
CJF
Weezy
Garza
JN-Pemsl-RK

The first four starters are locks. Conner first guard off bench with the other two bigs mixing in with JoeT spelling at the pg

CJF is a lock as a starter?

I would argue better D and rebounding at the 4 spot will more than make up for the points lost.
Much the same from the 2 spot. I think the scoring will be there its the one or 2 defensive stops or rebounds on misses that can make an 8 point flip during the course of a game. If Weez, Tou and CJF push the penetration you get to shoot more FTs and sit players on the bench. Small things add up over 40 mins of a game.

I am worried about our defense.
Just wondering who can stay in front of their man on this roster.
Even Joe got beat off the dribble. ..and he was the best of the lot. Hopefully the new guys are better but that would be unusual for frosh.

Baer leaving is the killer. His absence will show up more than Cook’s imo.

Moss’ absence was a given. I only noticed him on the rare occasions that he showed up.

ADVERTISEMENT